Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Corporate function at a safari park yesterday.

All very glitzy and shiny as one might expect. People appeared to like us. Which is nice. I went for medium scale Marooshchick in gold, which I put into my recently acquired Little Bass Thing and two TE Elf 10s. 

The LBT is actually quite big compared to my Elf but still a perfect match for the Trace cabs.

I pulled stupid faces above a gold tie.

IMG_20230113_201528.jpg

IMG_20230114_102136.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

All very glitzy and shiny as one might expect. People appeared to like us. Which is nice. I went for medium scale Marooshchick in gold, which I put into my recently acquired Little Bass Thing and two TE Elf 10s. 

The LBT is actually quite big compared to my Elf but still a perfect match for the Trace cabs.

IMG_20230113_201528.jpg

IMG_20230114_102136.jpg

That's more of a "who the heck dropped that" :laugh1:

Cool bass and nice stage layout. 

Thanks for sharing the Bass Face, not many players would be so brave. :drinks:

Dave

13 hours ago, stewblack said:

IMG_20230113_201528.jpg

IMG_20230114_102136.jpg

We enjoyed it.

B43D9A77-2B79-402C-8564-AA3913A81EE2.webp

• Like 2

We played a fund raising gig at Darlaston Town Hall last night for the boxing club our lead singer coaches at. We went down pretty well the audience were appreciative and danced to many of the numbers.

The venue put on some snap and drinks for us and we impressed enough for the people who run the venue to consider putting gigs on again. If they do we will get a booking😁

• Like 7

I’m envious of you folks getting gigs. The well seems to have dried up in my neck of the woods. A lot of the venues we were waiting on for dates this year have gone off air. We are considering whether we can get together with a couple of other bands and promote our own show but will the punters come out? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

I’m envious of you folks getting gigs. The well seems to have dried up in my neck of the woods. A lot of the venues we were waiting on for dates this year have gone off air. We are considering whether we can get together with a couple of other bands and promote our own show but will the punters come out? 

Same around here, it’s soul destroying.

I have actually called it a day with our band, something I thought I would never do, very sad times.

• Sad 6

We did that with the Glam band. We hired a venue and sold tickets plus pay at the door.

You'd be surprised how many friends and family a band can pull together.

We agreed if it wasn't a success we would at least break even and it was just a paid rehearsal if nothing else.

We've also had recent gigs where clubs have told us prior to booking us that a lot of people are still not coming out but they still booked us. Some gigs have been less than busy but again we treat them as paid rehearsals and we still put on the same full show.

With the punk band i only joined a year ago after the pandemic and audiences haven't been anywhere near where they were pre-pandemic in same gigs the band have always done.

Things are now starting to pick up and we've had a few fully booked gigs with the Glam band and getting better for 2023.

If all you want is to play together as a band then do it any which way you can, the money doesn't really matter at this stage. Its simply about playing together as a band in front of an audience no matter how big or small it is.

I'd say go for it.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It really is the luck of the draw. We've had support slots for bands that hold sold out shows in Europe twice the size of the venues we supported them at. Yet the turnout was dire in comparison. Yet other shows where i don't expect anything have been rammed. Just no logic at the moment. Sorry to hear about it guys.

• Like 4

Decent gig despite some reticence beforehand... Playing a town centre pub, it's been in the diary for a while... We see an ad by the pub on Monday advertising a Great Gatsby themed party. I'd love to play in a swing jazz style band, but I don't. We do early 2000's covers. We were a bit nervous about what to expect but it turned out to be a great night. The party was off in the corner and people in fancy dress occasionally came forward for a dance but the usual Saturday night crowd were well up for some loud music. Somehow there was even a conga, or a "train" as the youth were calling it, a first for me, shame I wasn't wireless.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, msb said:

There are a lot of people that are still not going out.
Covid continues to rage on.

… we’ve found the numbers are not what they used to be , but they are getting better.

Same thing here in Ontario, I live 41/2 hours north of Toronto and it has been a struggle to get gigs for years and Covid has really had an impact and gigs are few and far between. As has been said in previous posts it is easier and cheaper and safer to stay home and as more venues cut back on live music things will get worse. My main band is a seven piece swing band and there are limited audiences for this type of music up here and right now we have nothing booked, we had some gigs in '22 and are rehearsing and hoping things will get better. Luckily I have a theatre gig in June to get ready for.

I'm old and have had a good time playing gigs for about 60 years but I feel sorry for young musicians who just can't find places to play. I'm all about playing for live audiences but I can see why a lot of folks have decided to record their music instead of gigging but that's not for me. It's one of the reasons why I started taking DB lessons and working with the bow, maybe something will open up with a totally different kind of music for me. 

I'm also jamming with friends on a casual basis with no plans for public performances and that has been fun and it keeps me playing and working on new material.😊

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

I feel bad now after hearing the difficulties you guys are facing regarding getting gigs, chasing gigs can be soul destroying at the best of times ☹️ - my first outing last night, the first of 45 gigs booked for this year so far (still have 4 dates to fill for later this year), we played a working men’s club in Chandlers Ford and the place was busy with lots of singing and dancing all night - not quite sure what bass face I was pulling here? Looks more like gurning to me🤣

76F34189-EFBA-445D-AF28-1C1488D62C19.jpeg

• Like 9