Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Not too shabby on Saturday. Was a bit of a last minute booking a couple of weeks ago. We were meant to be playing in a different local pub, but it was double booked to due to a change of management, so they found us a slot in another local - better for me, as it was a 5 minute drive from my home, but not as big a venue.  

The place was rammed when we arrived. Great! But then it was a bit of squeeze of us to fit in our designated space - just enough room for the drum kit in the performance area. I eventually ended up right in front of the drums with roughly 2 square feet to stand in. The two singers had to stand between and in front of the PA speakers, so we was plagued with low end feedback numerous times.  Unfortunately there was a pool table in front of us off to one side that wasn't possible for it to be moved, which meant valuable dance floor space was being taken up (not to mention one of the singers nearly the butt end of cue in his face at one point).

Me and one of the other singers (dep again*) have been getting over heavy colds since the last gig a couple of weeks ago (or possibly covid, according to the positive test I did). Her voice held out better than mine. I was so congested I could feel the air trying to escape from my ears! Vocalzones and a hip flask full of single malt got me through the night, even though I was ready for bed after the first set. One of the guitarists who doubles on keyboards was on crutches after a foot operation about 10 days ago. This was semi-planned for, so we just had to load in his gear, help him set up and he wedged himself into a corner on a stool and pretty much stayed there all night. Fortunately, he had prepared by figuring out how to control his helix over midi via bandhelper. I think I might explore the same solution. I could potentially tuck my helix away somewhere if I don't need to changes sounds during a song.

Overall, we had a good night.  The pub is one of those ones that people go to on the way to somewhere else. But we brought a small crowd with us for the night and it stayed busy the whole evening with people singing and dancing most of the evening.

*Oh, and we had the same dep singer from 2 weeks ago in place of our usual lady singer who's been hit by a nasty flu virus for a few weeks. This young lady (young enough to be one of our daughters) did a sterling job, and sung the balls off of "All I want for christmas" and "Proud Mary". I really wish at least one of these was filmed. She even got a group of people chanting her name at one point after blasting out 'You've got the love'.

Videos on our facebook page. Redonizm. Yeah, it's the usual overplayed cheesy nonsense, but if people dance to it, we'll continue to play it.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 8

Hurtsfall played on Sunday in Sheffield on the final day of the "In The Black Midwint2r" festival. We were on first in the evening after a short break from the afternoon bands, which mean that we got a proper sound check which definitely helped with getting the mix right.

Second outing for our new and improved backing control which allows me to run everything from a foot pedal which is used to start each song and then run a macro which closes the current song and loads the next one in the set. Now I'm satisfied that it works as intended we'll probably shift the computer to a less obtrusive place on stage for subsequent gigs. Also I've now got all my Helix Preset and Snapshot changes controlled by the backing track which means I can concentrate on playing without needing to worry about hitting the correct footswitch at the correct time in order to change sounds, which has resulted in a significant improvement in my on-stage performance.

There was a proper photographer in attendance so there should be some decent photos up later on, but in the mean time here's something taken by an audience member...

320581022-490176403205016-54799660539808

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

Played my final gig before paternity leave this weekend. Very odd feeling to not have any gigs for the next couple of months! Gig was great, venue was packed which was brilliant :). Haven't had more than a few weeks off of gigging since I was about 16 so this will be a very very strange time for me!

Good luck with it all!👍

• Like 2

Saturday night at a pub in Staffordshire, upstairs dedicated to live music. We'd sold 75 tickets in advance so that was decent. Tight stage but big enough, took the full rig and needed it as monitor sound was devoid of any bottom end through DI so needed something to flap my trousers.

Note the wall near to my headstock, managed to whack my headstock off it and detune the A string just before I needed it, had to just go silent for a couple of bars and quickly sort 🙄.

image.thumb.png.0d42bc9080c3afe39cc6b94136ce9b18.png

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

Played my final gig before paternity leave this weekend. Very odd feeling to not have any gigs for the next couple of months! Gig was great, venue was packed which was brilliant :). Haven't had more than a few weeks off of gigging since I was about 16 so this will be a very very strange time for me!

Congratulations. Wish you and your family well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Two shows over the weekend. The first was in Bridgwater at The Cobblestones, supporting The LA Maybe from South Carolina. It was a 2hr drive each way and the roads weren't great but the show was good fun. 

Bridgwater.jpg.9a5a97361d3c91c1e030ec668ffa4e5b.jpg

Then my 80s Goth duo played in Bath at the St. James Wine Vaults as part of a Back to the Alternative 80s night with some friends' band. We road tested a 50/50 set of originals and covers, ahead of a studio session immediately after Xmas. That really was a contender for my favourite show of 2022. An old guitarist friend I worked with came down and I think it was the first time he'd seen me play since the mid 90s. A lovely surprise and he's normally very critical - his assesment was simply "that was much more enjoyable than I thought it'd be". We nailed each song and it all bodes well for the EP getting finished next week. One show left of 2022. It's been great to be back out there so much more than 2021 and 2020. 

Bath1712DD.jpg.f41b8e4d39de4dfcbc1edf083b61fef5.jpg

Loving that red Ric.

Blue

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Loving that red Ric.

Blue

I was thinking the very same thing. Would look good in both my Glam and punk bands. One of those basses that looks and sounds the part in almost any style of band.

Its definitely put me in the mood for a Ric bass again. 

I now blame @Cat Burrito for Ric GAS. :dash1::laugh1:

Dave :santa2:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Machines said:

Note the wall near to my headstock, managed to whack my headstock off it and detune the A string just before I needed it, had to just go silent for a couple of bars and quickly sort 🙄.

One of the reasons I started playing headless bass. 😃 I still take it to gigs as a spare and if I know space will be tight.

• Like 2

On 19/12/2022 at 08:51, stewblack said:

Played a private party on Saturday in a barn in Somerset. They had somehow created enough heat in there to keep us from freezing and despite a coughing singer and flu ridden drummer we kept them up and dancing.

Then last night had a Bandeoke in Wantage which was loud, fun and occasionally hilarious with some excruciating 'singers' who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket nor could they remain in time.

At present I only have three more gigs this year but so many bands are cancelling due to the lurgy we may get lucky and pick up some more.

Was the barn Tucker’s Grave by any chance? 

Edited by gafbass02

20 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Hurtsfall played on Sunday in Sheffield on the final day of the "In The Black Midwint2r" festival. We were on first in the evening after a short break from the afternoon bands, which mean that we got a proper sound check which definitely helped with getting the mix right.

Second outing for our new and improved backing control which allows me to run everything from a foot pedal which is used to start each song and then run a macro which closes the current song and loads the next one in the set. Now I'm satisfied that it works as intended we'll probably shift the computer to a less obtrusive place on stage for subsequent gigs. Also I've now got all my Helix Preset and Snapshot changes controlled by the backing track which means I can concentrate on playing without needing to worry about hitting the correct footswitch at the correct time in order to change sounds, which has resulted in a significant improvement in my on-stage performance.

There was a proper photographer in attendance so there should be some decent photos up later on, but in the mean time here's something taken by an audience member...

320581022-490176403205016-54799660539808

Cant quite tell from the angle but is that a Shergold 6 string bass. ?

Dave

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

It's the Eastwood copy based on one of Peter Hook's Shergold Marathon six string basses.

Having had a go on an original Shergold back in the early 80s as far as I can remember it's pretty accurate too.

I think you've told me this before now that i'm reading it. 

I had the very first Shergold 8 string bass on a twin neck 4 & 8 necks. They hadn't made one before and could only come up with adapting the 6 string bass. Was nice to play but heavy. I was only 9 - 9.5st in them days.

Dave

1617298112_95608395_1914078745390556_8442855378273697792_o(5).jpg.ace64019c6ec3afd5c6c44459e626b4d.jpg

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 5

I played my final show of 2022 last night, at Water Rats in London. From Swansea to Southampton, Glasgow to Bristol, Swindon to San Antonio Bay - it's been a good year for shows. More than double the shows of 2021, which was more than double the shows of 2020. Not quite pre-pandemic levels but probably around as busy as I want to be right now. 

I've enjoyed reading all your gigging tales on this thread and long may it continue. 

WaterRatsTim1222.thumb.jpg.51be5ea35456ed248c4029b207daefce.jpg

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I played my final show of 2022 last night, at Water Rats in London. From Swansea to Southampton, Glasgow to Bristol, Swindon to San Antonio Bay - it's been a good year for shows. More than double the shows of 2021, which was more than double the shows of 2020. Not quite pre-pandemic levels but probably around as busy as I want to be right now. 

I've enjoyed reading all your gigging tales on this thread and long may it continue. 

WaterRatsTim1222.thumb.jpg.51be5ea35456ed248c4029b207daefce.jpg

And thanks for your entertaining contributions!🙏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our drummer was looking forward to us gigging at his local on Saturday, then three days before, our singer was diagnosed with pneumonia and had to pull out. We got in a dep singer who saved the day for us and we had a reasonable gig but not the massive triumph our drummer was hoping for. Then it turns out that three out of the five of us ( including me ) have caught covid at the gig.

• Sad 6

12 hours ago, spike said:

Our drummer was looking forward to us gigging at his local on Saturday, then three days before, our singer was diagnosed with pneumonia and had to pull out. We got in a dep singer who saved the day for us and we had a reasonable gig but not the massive triumph our drummer was hoping for. Then it turns out that three out of the five of us ( including me ) have caught covid at the gig.

Sorry to hear @spike hope you all recover quickly and it doesn't spoil your Christmas.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from us at the McCombe household. :santa2:

Dave

• Thanks 1