Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

10 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Yes, we are....I don't generally like painted basses of any color except for black or white, coffee table wood slabs, stuff mixed with resins, anything that looks like a teenager's hair color, and maple necks. If I can see the wood grain through the stain, that's okay though. Oh...and pickup covers, especially the wood ones. 

And slab-bodied single cutaways....

And anything "distressed" artificially...

Might have been easier to say what you like 😀

Out of curiosity what would be your ideal bass and finish. Post a pic if one available.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I do like a Pedulla but what are the others ?

Some very nice looking basses there.

Dave

Left to right is a lined fretless Spector Spectracore, Korean Jazz 24, the MPV, and (not mine) a Yamaha Nathan East

It's hard to see the flame on the Maple of the Pedulla, but it is pretty, even as gig-worn as this one is.....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Left to right is a lined fretless Spector Spectracore, Korean Jazz 24, the MPV, and (not mine) a Yamaha Nathan East

It's hard to see the flame on the Maple of the Pedulla, but it is pretty, even as gig-worn as this one is.....

I do like a Nathan East Yamaha but i'm back to using 4 strings again as i feel more comfortable but they look great and sound fantastic.

A Yamaha BB2000 or similar has been on my GAS list but maybe someday.

My brother had a fretless BB3000 in black with gold hardware and sold it without telling me. That was a gorgeous bass.

Dave

• Like 3

Might have been easier to say what you like 😀

Out of curiosity what would be your ideal bass and finish. Post a pic if one available.

Dave

7287A7F5-2662-4366-BD86-E7479044CA19.jpeg.ce47e24e838346f27e24be9a4c04edaa.jpegB5DB266E-0F22-47F6-96BC-82B19FCA2743.jpeg.3ead703800d7b233271a0c9ff7712e2d.jpeg

Earlier this year i got Jaydee to strip this bass and refinish it to show the natural wood. I didn't dislike the original colour it but preferred the natural quilt maple finish.  I left the back of the headstock in the original colour.

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

7287A7F5-2662-4366-BD86-E7479044CA19.jpeg.ce47e24e838346f27e24be9a4c04edaa.jpegB5DB266E-0F22-47F6-96BC-82B19FCA2743.jpeg.3ead703800d7b233271a0c9ff7712e2d.jpeg

Earlier this year i got Jaydee to strip this bass and refinish it to show the natural wood. I didn't dislike the original colour it but preferred the natural quilt maple finish.  I left the back of the headstock in the original colour.

Have to agree with you there. That's a beautiful wood finish on that bass altho i had to admit i had GAS when i saw the red one too. :laugh1:

Dave

Well, Friday wasn't the finest evening in our gigging career! We had a feeling it was going to be a bit iffy when we noticed on Thursday that the "Band Night" event posts on the FB page for the village hall we were playing at had all disappeared. After a quick message to the chairman of the committee, the event appeared again, but without anything much in the way of interest being shown.

Anyway, after the usual rigmarole of tracing and eliminating various odd hums and buzzes (which invariably seem to emanate from Mr Singer's crappy acoustic amp and pedalboard...  🙄 ), we managed to get a decent sound, though unusually I had to ask to be turned up quite a lot in the mix - looks like our resident poultrygeist (don't ask... ) has been fiddling with the desk again.

So, there we are, all set to kick off, when the hall folks announce they're going to start serving food now, so could we hang on? We do, and eventually launch into the first set half an hour later than planned, to a rather disinterested (but well-fed) audience of thirty or so people. On the plus side, that was more than the eight who turned up for the last band who played there, and the two new numbers we'd thrown together at rehearsal on Thursday went well, so we'll be treating them to a bit more polish before the next gig. Other than that, the first set felt a bit like hard work - they're all songs we (mostly) like individually, and they do usually seem to go down well, but there's a growing feeling that they just don't work as a set, so we're going to rip up the list and do a bit of set-bashing in the next couple of weeks.

After a short break, the second set was, as ever, an absolute delight to bash through, though the delayed start meant we had to drop a couple of songs (in addition to the one I'd inadvertantly managed to leave off the list for the first set - oops!). The audience response remained muted, though at least they did applaud after each number rather than just carry on talking, and we got several compliments at the end so it would appear they were actually listening after all. Honourable mention goes to the two people who I noticed were actually watching us and tapping their feet all night! From a personal point of view, the onstage sound was great as was the FoH, and it was one of those nights where everything just seemed to flow without really thinking about it - in fact, the couple of times I did think about it was when the minor flubs occurred.

We've another gig booked at the same hall in December for a birthday event, but after that I suspect we'll not be playing there again - apparently there have been several changes on the committee, and it looks like live music isn't particularly part of the scene there any longer. Oh well, plus ça change an' all that...

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, tony_m said:

apparently there have been several changes on the committee,

When 'the committee' get their hands on things, it's rarely good news. We were booked as an Eagles tribute act at one club by one member of 'the committee' but the chairman wasn't happy about it. First we knew was in the interval, when the boss came up and told us, nicely, to play a variety in the second half. When we explained we were booked as the tribute act, he said words to the effect that it was not him that booked us, but that him that would be paying us, and that he was going to have words with the booker. Fortunately, the same line-up played cabaret gigs too so we quicky drew up a new set, played it and got paid The original booker wasn't happy but we referred him to the chairman.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Newcastle City Hall last night. Quite a big one for our singist, as he grew up in Morpeth, so he was pretty thrilled to be playing there.

There's been enough of my rubbish pictures, so instead, here's a nice review.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/23087116.review-kiefer-sutherland-impresses-newcastle-city-hall-2022-tour/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Franticsmurf said:

When 'the committee' get their hands on things, it's rarely good news. We were booked as an Eagles tribute act at one club by one member of 'the committee' but the chairman wasn't happy about it. First we knew was in the interval, when the boss came up and told us, nicely, to play a variety in the second half. When we explained we were booked as the tribute act, he said words to the effect that it was not him that booked us, but that him that would be paying us, and that he was going to have words with the booker. Fortunately, the same line-up played cabaret gigs too so we quicky drew up a new set, played it and got paid The original booker wasn't happy but we referred him to the chairman.

Get a contract next time and they cant argue about it. We do that for any new gigs with the Glam covers band.

To be asked to play something completely different or you dont get paid is a threat in my book. To be honest i wouldn't go back.

I guess i wouldn't have got paid that night. It amazes me how some people think you have a set list for every eventuallity up your cuff is simply ridiculous.

No pay, sore face i reckon.

Dave

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Get a contract next time and they cant argue about it. We do that for any new gigs with the Glam covers band.

To be asked to play something completely different or you dont get paid is a threat in my book. To be honest i wouldn't go back.

I guess i wouldn't have got paid that night. It amazes me how some people think you have a set list for every eventuallity up your cuff is simply ridiculous.

Dave

We had a contract through the agent. But on the night we felt it was best just to co-operate, because we could.  The 'I'm paying you' element was sort of said in jest - difficult to explain unless you were there but there was definitely no overt threat, more a 'he had no right to book you as I'm the one with the money' kind of thing. My point was to highlight the internal politics that happen within committees. Had there been a direct threat, we would have been out of there and chasing it up later with the agent, and spreading the word on the local musicians forums.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

My better half booked "the ultimate zz top tribute" but they only played 20% zz top songs, ehich confused people a lot, although they were very good (apparently).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Punk gig last night in a bar that used to be my local in 80's. Was an odd atmosphere, quite busy and lots of clapping and whistles after almost every song. Lot of the younger ones were there because they saw us the last time or had "heard the band were brilliant" which was overheard outside at smokers corner. All great but no-one dancing like last time when the floor in front of us had people up almost every song. Most were just watching us play to be fair which is nice.

Lots of good comments at the end too.

Using the MarloweDK into Handbox WB-100 and Mesa SW 210/115 rig.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, stewblack said:

New venue for us last night. Cracking gig. One of those nights when the band was just flying. I used the SVT through two Barefaced 15s and it was glorious. 

Crikey that sounded like a loud gig, how's your hearing this morning?

.......I SAID, HOW'S YOUR HEARING THIS MORNING?!!!!!!

• Haha 6

Played two gigs this weekend.

First was with my brother in laws Blues band on Friday. His usual bassist was off to play in his other band, who were supporting The Damned down in London.

He is usually cajoled to play a bass solo in the set when he plays with the band. I told my brother in law that I definitely wouldn't be treating the audience to any of my random noodling on the night.

It was a ticketed gig so made sure I learned the set. Only had one meltdown moment when I missed the cue to go into the middle eight of one of the tunes and things went a bit free form jazz.

I brought my Markbass CMD 121 combo and a Barefaced Compact, which was a bit over the top for the venue. So I disconnected the Compact and the Markbass sounded fine on it's own.

The second gig was Halloween night at my local music bar on Saturday. They had about 5 bands playing through the day(the venue is open until 3am) and we started at 4pm. I've never played a gig there so early but I was surprised to see that the place filled up and we played to a decent sized audience. They'd done the place up like Alice Coopers living room. See picture of soundcheck below.

image.thumb.png.9aff1c8a8535bddcb7cd671c14c47d04.png

Edited by gjones
  • Like 11

Weird gig for me last night, a local football club in a room that was little more than a Spartan concrete rectangle with no decor, that, it seemed, had one purpose only. - For testosterone fuelled men to drink themselves into a blind frenzy and chant about their team. - My idea of actual hell. Also, they appeared (unsurprisingly) to only play oasis for in house music. 
I was playing as part of an acoustic duo, with a very simple set up (7 minutes to strike the whole kit). Which was nice, cause I couldn’t get out of there quick enough. Everyone was very friendly to us and liked what we did a lot, but, as a person who just doesn’t get that whole ‘ragey, team sport aggressive thing’, I’m just not comfortable being around it.
They seemed to have alternate lyrics for every single song about their team or how much they hate another team. Some blokes seemed have their pathetic alpha masculinity threatened by us being the centre of attention and not them , so would try to sing other songs as loudly as possible over the top us - as if they were going to win some self involved volume war against a PA system. - Baffling animalistic behaviour!! Anyway. Rant over, got paid and was back in my own local by 10:30. They want us back, but I’m not keen!

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, gjones said:

Played two gigs this weekend.

First was with my brother in laws Blues band on Friday. His usual bassist was off to play in his other band, who were supporting The Damned down in London.

He is usually cajoled to play a bass solo in the set when he plays with the band. I told my brother in law that I definitely wouldn't be treating the audience to any of my random noodling on the night.

It was a ticketed gig so made sure I learned the set. Only had one meltdown moment when I missed the cue to go into the middle eight of one of the tunes and things went a bit free form jazz.

I brought my Markbass CMD 121 combo and a Barefaced Compact, which was a bit over the top for the venue. So I disconnected the Compact and the Markbass sounded fine on it's own.

The second gig was Halloween night at my local music bar on Saturday. They had about 5 bands playing through the day(the venue is open until 3am) and we started at 4pm. I've never played a gig there so early but I was surprised to see that the place filled up and we played to a decent sized audience. They'd done the place up like Alice Coopers living room. See picture of soundcheck below.

image.thumb.png.9aff1c8a8535bddcb7cd671c14c47d04.png

Love it! 

2 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

Weird gig for me last night, a local football club in a room that was little more than a Spartan concrete rectangle with no decor that it seemed had one purpose only. For testosterone fuelled men to drink themselves into a blind frenzy and chant about their team. My idea of actual hell. They appeared (unsurprisingly) to only play oasis for in house music. 
I was playing as part of an acoustic duo, with a very simple set up (7 minutes to strike the whole kit). Which was nice, cause I couldn’t get out quick enough, everyone was very friendly to us and liked what we did a lot, but as a person who just doesn’t get that whole ragey, team sport aggressive thing, I’m just not comfortable being around it. They seemed to have alternate lyrics for every single song about their team or how much they hate another team. Some blokes seemed have their pathetic alpha masculinity threatened by us being the centre of attention and not them , so would try to sing other songs as loudly as possible over the top us, as if they were going to win some self involved volume war against a PA system. Baffling animalistic behaviour. Anyway. Rant over, got paid and was back in my own local by 10:30. They want us back, but I’m not keen!

You could be describing one of my last pre-lockdown duo gigs, except it was a rugby club. They'd just won their league and you can imagine the state they were in by the time we arrived at 8pm. The club song was Sloop John B, to which there were many and varied lyrics. I think we played it four or five times throughout the night. I was covered in beer - not thrown at me but splashed over me as they jumped up and down. One grabbed my mic to sing but having anticipated it, it was switched off. He then proceeded to fiddle with the catches of my leads case, slurring 'which one is the volume control' at me. I couldn't wait to leave and won't be going back. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

Blimey, sounds like we got off lightly then! As it is, it's a shame the way things seem to have gone. We actually played our second-ever gig at the hall in question as a freebie, mainly as a showcase for us, but also partly as a favour to them when they were looking to establish a regular monthly "Band Night" - our drummer and his wife were regular attendees at events at the hall even though they live in another village, and we got the gig through them being known. Off the back of that first gig, we got paid bookings for the committee chairman's birthday bash, someone else's birthday (the one coming up in December), and for last week's band night, but in the meantime the hall have apparently managed to alienate a large number of people by restricting places at the Platty Joobs party earlier this year to village residents only - anybody who lived elsewhere (like our drummer) was excluded, and now a lot of folks who were previously regulars simply won't go back, hence the poor audience numbers. Welcome to village politics in Lincolnshire! 😆

• Like 1