Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

31 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Had a bad mistake last week doing Into the Valley by Skids. Bass E string detuned to D for it. Bass starts and after a couple of bars the guitar joins in for another 2 bars. That was fine until i went to the  next line a bar early causing the guitarist to get lost and the drummer couldn't come in with his cues. At one point myself and guitarist were on different bars, he stopped and i just kept playing the intro riff until they came back in. That's the worst start i've had in  many years. Some of the audience who had been drinking a fair bit said to me at the end of the night that they thought i was having a wee bass solo 😂

Happy days but it's live music and sometimes things go a little astray 😀

Dave

I do that Dave.....brain takes a break without telling me. I’m putting it down to the menopause 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

I do that Dave.....brain takes a break without telling me. I’m putting it down to the menopause 😂😂😂

That was our first after a 3 week break. My daily practicing at home must have slipped by the wayside. :laugh1:

Enjoyed the Jean Genie there. Bass sounds nice.

Dave

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That was our first after a 3 week break. My daily practicing at home must have slipped by the wayside. :laugh1:

Enjoyed the Jean Genie there. Bass sounds nice.

Dave

Cheers Dave, still the old MW Mustang, MarkBass set up. Keep thinking of modding the bass but it’s just plug and play as it is. Took the Status once and spent all night fiddling 😂

6 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Don't know about anyone else but if I make even small mistakes it haunts me forever. I don't know if the audience notices at all but it bothers me a lot. Plenty to work on in rehearsals this week!

Hell no. Live music is ephemeral and a bad note is gone as soon as you move onto the next one. 

I mean, don't be bad. But don't sweat genuine mistakes. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I was hoping they might do a 4 string version but dont see anything there. 

Dave

There's a 4-string version of the Hooky Bass, but it's essentially the same instrument with a narrower neck and a more conventionally sized BBOT bridge, so short scale.

If they were going to revive one of the old 4-string bass designs I'd like to see an accurate copy (with maybe a slightly lighter body) of the Hayman 4040.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Had a bad mistake last week doing Into the Valley by Skids. Bass E string detuned to D for it. Bass starts and after a couple of bars the guitar joins in for another 2 bars. That was fine until i went to the  next line a bar early causing the guitarist to get lost and the drummer couldn't come in with his cues. At one point myself and guitarist were on different bars, he stopped and i just kept playing the intro riff until they came back in. That's the worst start i've had in  many years. Some of the audience who had been drinking a fair bit said to me at the end of the night that they thought i was having a wee bass solo 😂

Happy days but it's live music and sometimes things go a little astray 😀

Dave

I had a similar drop D issue earlier this year. I downtuned the E string to D for Summer of 69 and forgot to retune it afterwards when Sweet Child O'Mine kicked in.  Nothing like transposing on the fly to keep you alert!

FWIW, I have a hipshot xtender on one of my other basses, but I haven't gotten around to installing one on the bass I was using that night. Otherwise, it would have been a non issue.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I had a similar drop D issue earlier this year. I downtuned the E string to D for Summer of 69 and forgot to retune it afterwards when Sweet Child O'Mine kicked in.  Nothing like transposing on the fly to keep you alert!

FWIW, I have a hipshot xtender on one of my other basses, but I haven't gotten around to installing one on the bass I was using that night. Otherwise, it would have been a non issue.

When i first joined the band and one of the early gigs i had it in my head that it was drop tune to D# and played the full song like that and absolutely no-one noticed, not even the band. :laugh1:

Dave

Gigging Friday and Saturday last weekend.

Friday was in the Balaclava in Fraserburgh.  Arrived to find the pool table still in use where we should be setting up.  Surprised by the guys who playing apologising and offering to get out of our way mid game - please, finish your game, it's all good!  Good gig in the end, decent crowd - one of those ones where it would happen in waves - a group of folk would be in and dancing for a few songs, then they'd leave but soon another lot would come in and take their place.  Slinky dance moves from the table of folk nearest us.  One lady almost took out one of our lights as she pitched towards it but it was rescued.  Genuine overbalancing due to overcommitting on the dance moves rather than an annoying drunk person, she was very apologetic afterwards - no harm, no foul!

Fun night, enjoyed it.

Saturday was in Wilsons in Aberdeen.  Bit of an odd one.  First half was great, there was a hen party in so you can imagine the antics, lots of dancing, good times.  Unfortunately, when we went for our break, they left.  Second half was less busy and I could see the shy folk up the back enjoying the songs but not enough to come down the front and say hello.  Ahh well.  Kinda wish we hadn't taken a break now.  Drummer's snare failed part way through a song - bottom skin shredded.  Luckily he had a spare snare with him so it was a quick swap between songs.  On the plus side, my best mate came to see us for a bit, and a fellow bass player I know came up after for a nerd out about basses and amps, said my tone was good and coming through nice and clear so that was nice.

Both gigs I played the Reverend Triad.  It's a great bass, I'm really enjoying it - neck is lovely - great fretwork, roasted maple back, minimal finish, mmm.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I've done that before.  That's why there's annotations on the set list along the lines of "TUNE BACK UP TO E FFS!"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Gigging Friday and Saturday last weekend.

Friday was in the Balaclava in Fraserburgh.  Arrived to find the pool table still in use where we should be setting up.  Surprised by the guys who playing apologising and offering to get out of our way mid game - please, finish your game, it's all good!  Good gig in the end, decent crowd - one of those ones where it would happen in waves - a group of folk would be in and dancing for a few songs, then they'd leave but soon another lot would come in and take their place.  Slinky dance moves from the table of folk nearest us.  One lady almost took out one of our lights as she pitched towards it but it was rescued.  Genuine overbalancing due to overcommitting on the dance moves rather than an annoying drunk person, she was very apologetic afterwards - no harm, no foul!

Fun night, enjoyed it.

Saturday was in Wilsons in Aberdeen.  Bit of an odd one.  First half was great, there was a hen party in so you can imagine the antics, lots of dancing, good times.  Unfortunately, when we went for our break, they left.  Second half was less busy and I could see the shy folk up the back enjoying the songs but not enough to come down the front and say hello.  Ahh well.  Kinda wish we hadn't taken a break now.  Drummer's snare failed part way through a song - bottom skin shredded.  Luckily he had a spare snare with him so it was a quick swap between songs.  On the plus side, my best mate came to see us for a bit, and a fellow bass player I know came up after for a nerd out about basses and amps, said my tone was good and coming through nice and clear so that was nice.

Both gigs I played the Reverend Triad.  It's a great bass, I'm really enjoying it - neck is lovely - great fretwork, roasted maple back, minimal finish, mmm.

Its quite annoying when you take a break and some people leave. I've often thought it would be better to play right thru.

On another note i've never heard of a Reverend Triad bass. Any chance you could post a wee pic or two.

Dave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its quite annoying when you take a break and some people leave. I've often thought it would be better to play right thru.

On another note i've never heard of a Reverend Triad bass. Any chance you could post a wee pic or two.

Dave

Way ahead of you - the peacocking started the moment it came in the door ;)

• Like 1

Packed pub gig Satdy night, went well, but a couple of things which echo the common niggles above; there isn't tons of room in this venue, and I was first in, so helpfully I put my gear (Walkabout and Super Twin - it's too busy in there for the inears/PA setup, plus we don't gig much any more, so we'd have needed a longish soundcheck to reset stuff) over in a corner, tucked nicely out of the way. Drummist and Singist/Geetard then set up all across the rest of the space, so I was crammed in, standing sideways overlooking the drummer, while the Singist/Geetard had yards of space...pffffttttt... And I can't hear much other than me and the cymbals because I'm nowhere near the tops, and the monitoring wasn't working. Then we had the perennial problem with that Radiohead dirge High And Dry - I don't like it anyway, and it's an energy-sapper of a song, but the Singist/Geetard plays it solo, so we have it in the set. What he doesn't do is adjust his EQ from his solo settings to take out the very bottom end, so when he's playing a chord with a ringing open E and I play the F#, the resulting muddy blur is annoying. Even going up an octave doesn't fully cure it. If he cuts the bottom end of his acoustic we're all good, but he never remembers. Oh, and S/G starts into a song, I join in, it sounds derrière (from what I can hear), he shouts 'I'm one down', but he meant one tone/two frets rather than one fret, so, what with not being able to hear much, it took me wayyyy too long to hunt him down...

Needless to say, nobody else noticed, and it was all fun and games till the Last Orders Scuffle at the door. We just got a drink and watched, it was better than the telly..

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Packed pub gig Satdy night, went well, but a couple of things which echo the common niggles above; there isn't tons of room in this venue, and I was first in, so helpfully I put my gear (Walkabout and Super Twin - it's too busy in there for the inears/PA setup, plus we don't gig much any more, so we'd have needed a longish soundcheck to reset stuff) over in a corner, tucked nicely out of the way. Drummist and Singist/Geetard then set up all across the rest of the space, so I was crammed in, standing sideways overlooking the drummer, while the Singist/Geetard had yards of space...pffffttttt... And I can't hear much other than me and the cymbals because I'm nowhere near the tops, and the monitoring wasn't working. Then we had the perennial problem with that Radiohead dirge High And Dry - I don't like it anyway, and it's an energy-sapper of a song, but the Singist/Geetard plays it solo, so we have it in the set. What he doesn't do is adjust his EQ from his solo settings to take out the very bottom end, so when he's playing a chord with a ringing open E and I play the F#, the resulting muddy blur is annoying. Even going up an octave doesn't fully cure it. If he cuts the bottom end of his acoustic we're all good, but he never remembers. Oh, and S/G starts into a song, I join in, it sounds derrière (from what I can hear), he shouts 'I'm one down', but he meant one tone/two frets rather than one fret, so, what with not being able to hear much, it took me wayyyy too long to hunt him down...

Needless to say, nobody else noticed, and it was all fun and games till the Last Orders Scuffle at the door. We just got a drink and watched, it was better than the telly..

At least it sounds like you avoided being on the route to the bogs and having to Bill Wyman it every 30 seconds or so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

I've done that before.  That's why there's annotations on the set list along the lines of "TUNE BACK UP TO E FFS!"  

Good idea. But we don't use paper set lists anymore, it's all managed through band helper. I can add a note to that effect on the following songs, but we don't always play the same songs in the same order.

You've gotten me thinking though. I may make a feature request to add notes between songs in the setlist.

EDIT: Just gone into the app and realised I can already do this with "pause names".  I'm going to add these right this second!

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Good idea. But we don't use paper set lists anymore, it's all managed through band helper. I can add a note to that effect on the following songs, but we don't always play the same songs in the same order.

You've gotten me thinking though. I may make a feature request to add notes between songs in the setlist.

EDIT: Just gone into the app and realised I can already do this with "pause names".  I'm going to add these right this second!

I was going to say put it at the end of the song!

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I was going to say put it at the end of the song!

That's a viable solution if you have the lyrics view open. But sometimes, I literally just have the set list only view on my phone.

FWIW, I have made a feature request to add custom colours to the pause names to flag important instructions.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

43 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

That's a viable solution if you have the lyrics view open. But sometimes, I literally just have the set list only view on my phone.

Yeh, I used to use the thing before it was band helper but it was too unweildy and complicated for me, so I just use a much simpler song / set list - I have the iPad as it has to run the mixer and synths etc.

Played Cardiff Bootlegger last night. Really difficult access, then parking in the world's most cramped multi-storey car park. Load in long and many stairs. Then afterwards load out complicated by huge numbers of (good natured) revellers on the pedestrianised street and a packed dance floor as the disco took over.

Staff were great, free drinks too.

Audience was enthusiastic but modest for first set, filled up for second set, definitely into our sort of music which was good. We even had people who came because they saw us on YouTube 🙂

Oddly though I felt a bit meh, perhaps because the odd layout put me ahead of the PA. First time I've felt the audience enjoyed the gig more than me.

image.thumb.png.3ad03365144f1671c66bf9e836016d64.png

image.thumb.png.fcf7792685f7f0c1deb59da4df45e06e.png

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 8

Already done one gig today - a kid’s birthday party with my “rock band for kids”.
It was great, and if I’m allowed to share any pics later on I will - short version is it was the kid of a relatively famous drummer so they are understandably nervous of too many pics getting out.

Just learning songs for the second one, a pub/club gig in Eastbourne depping for our @Graham again 🤓 (There’s a last minute dep guitarist too, so the setlist has had a slight tweak and that means three songs I’ve never played 😎)

• Like 6

Just now, Merton said:

Already done one gig today - a kid’s birthday party with my “rock band for kids”.
It was great, and if I’m allowed to share any pics later on I will - short version is it was the kid of a relatively famous drummer so they are understandably nervous of too many pics getting out.

Just learning songs for the second one, a pub/club gig in Eastbourne depping for our @Graham again 🤓 (There’s a last minute dep guitarist too, so the setlist has had a slight tweak and that means three songs I’ve never played 😎)

Good luck :) we got back from holiday yesterday, so thought the kids would probably benefit from me not being out tonight.

• Like 1