Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

The Welsh T Band did its 500th gig last night.

Not a bad gig - main band for Wakefield Blues Festival's Saturday night show. The place wasn't as full as we'd have liked - Thursday night's crowd was better when we supported Dr Feelgood.

The bass player for one of last nights other bands had a very nice (and I thought very Shuker-esque) Overwater. Far too 'pretty' though for my taste.

Roll on the next 500 gigs!

Edited by Funkmaster

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='325431' date='Nov 9 2008, 06:19 PM']Haha not quite the covers gig at the Dog and Duck we are used to on here.

Good work my friend[/quote]

I'd give my right arm to play at the dog and duck, at least i'd be playing!
Well, maybe not my right arm, as i wouldn't be able to play, so maybe, er, a lock of my hair, or a toe nail.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='325430' date='Nov 9 2008, 06:18 PM']Last night's gig was cool.
I wasn't playing though, just working!
Last night of Queen's Euro tour, i'm not involved with the S. America bit.
35 (ish) shows and not once did I get bored of Bo Rhap!
When i get some time I'll put some more pics up on the other thread i did with some shots of early on in the tour.
Now i'm back home i'm gonna have a week or two off, not leave the house and finally get around to some serious playing and practicing.
Hopefully some of my mates are free so we can get some studio time and have a proper play.

I'm looking forward to taking onboard the info and help you guys have given me via a couple of other threads i've put up.
Cheers.[/quote]

I just cant imagine Queen doing that song without Freddy Mercury. cant work in my head anyway.

We played the Rock Cafe in Huddersfield on Thursday which was an excellent venue with a very lively crowd in. There was a group of about 20 ladies in celebrating a birthday so we got the birthday girl up with one of her friends for the chorus on Mustang ( see pic )

An excellent gig and roll on the next one ( two week break :) )

[attachment=15765:PB060033.JPG]

Last night, depping for my friends' acoustic Twmpath band (that's Welsh for "barn dance")
Conference after dinner dance for careers advisers .. "In Cardiff so let's have Welsh flavour" So far so good.
150 people in a hotel conference ball room thing.

We started at 10 as they had coffee and managed three quick dances before the organiser said "some people have asked if we can play some disco music so can you take a break" yeah, fine.
Sat down but no music 'cos they hadn't anticipated this and there's no CD player (this band records it's gigs on mini-disc and so plays the betweens stuff from mini-disc too).

Oh dear .. meventually they find bloke with an iPod, plug it into the conference event PA and whammo, Spice Grrrrrls at full bass and full volume. A random selection of poptunes the majority of teh 40+ audience had never heard before follows (but not Dancing Queen - derrrr) and no one dances .. chorus of "please turn that down" from all in the gaps between songs.
So the older people can't stand it and leave, followed by the idiots who'd demanded the disco music, leaving us and 50 diehards up for a twmpath.
So after 30 minutes of this we're back on stage with the remaining 50 people keenly dancing their socks off to trad Welsh diddly tunes ..

I played my Shuker modern bolt on 5 string which is strung E-C. not a lot of use for the C string in this band but I did venture up there a bit.. Tend to crash into the melody instruments if I do too much of that though. Root-5th is really what's required most of the time :)

I also bought a pair of speaker stands from Maplins (in the sale at £20 each rather than £30) and stuck my powered monitor on top of one just for the bass as a side fill about 6 inches from my ear. This was to enable me to hear myself but so I didn't have to have the amp up too loud.
Everything goes through the PA foh only in this band, no backline and they are all playing acoustic instruments they can hear acoustically, so it's been a problem hearing myself before and I've tended to be too loud in the FoH and recordings they make.
This worked a treat though and should enable me to play the Stagg stick accurately next time..

The vemue was about 500 yards from my front door so a total time out of the house of just 2.5 hours :huh: I liked that. :huh:

Interesting one last night, not so much from the POV of playing but because of the circumstances.

It was open mic night at the Roadhouse, and I arrived to find the stage partially dismantled and a couple of guys working away under it. Turns out that the Roadhouse have parted ways with some members of staff, who then put some booby traps in to sabotage the power and PA system, and also hacked the website. Everything was restored by a few minutes past nine, so it didn't cause too much in the way of organisational problems, but it was a pain in the arse.

First time I'd been up for four weeks - did a couple of bits of house bassing and our normal duo slot. Resolved to get there every other week from now on.

[quote name='tauzero' post='329020' date='Nov 14 2008, 12:16 PM']Interesting one last night, not so much from the POV of playing but because of the circumstances.

It was open mic night at the Roadhouse, and I arrived to find the stage partially dismantled and a couple of guys working away under it. Turns out that the Roadhouse have parted ways with some members of staff, who then put some booby traps in to sabotage the power and PA system, and also hacked the website. Everything was restored by a few minutes past nine, so it didn't cause too much in the way of organisational problems, but it was a pain in the arse.

First time I'd been up for four weeks - did a couple of bits of house bassing and our normal duo slot. Resolved to get there every other week from now on.[/quote]

Is that the Roadhouse in Stirchley tauzero?

We did a charity gig last night with a bunch of other bands. We're really short of recent gigging experience (only 3 in 2 or so years due to all sorts of factors) so we weren't at our best, and on a personal level I was very poor, nerves having got the better of me. Still, the event was a success and that's what matters.

Here's me with my '73 Ric 4000.....

[quote name='4000' post='329073' date='Nov 14 2008, 01:21 PM']We did a charity gig last night with a bunch of other bands. We're really short of recent gigging experience (only 3 in 2 or so years due to all sorts of factors) so we weren't at our best, and on a personal level I was very poor, nerves having got the better of me. Still, the event was a success and that's what matters.

Here's me with my '73 Ric 4000.....

[/quote]
Nice one Shaun!

Lovely looking bass, that Ric... got any more photos of it? You do look a bit like you're hanging onto it for dear life which reminds me of exactly how I felt when i joined the band i'm in now, as I hadn't gigged for 12 years before that!

So well done for getting through it :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='329117' date='Nov 14 2008, 02:03 PM']Nice one Shaun!

Lovely looking bass, that Ric... got any more photos of it? You do look a bit like you're hanging onto it for dear life which reminds me of exactly how I felt when i joined the band i'm in now, as I hadn't gigged for 12 years before that!

So well done for getting through it :)[/quote]

Thanks Nik. Here's another of the 4000 with my other Rics:

The 4000 has been my main gigging bass for the past few years. However after last night (and due to other rather more nebulous factors) I'm actually thinking of selling it. It's a great bass, very aggressive sounding; far more so than my 4001s. Imagine if JJ Burnel played a Ric and you're about there. I found last night that for the first time in years I needed the addition of that deep, mellifluous neck pickup sound, so 2/3 of the way through the gig I switched to the CS. I must be getting old!

It does indeed look like I'm hanging on for dear life! I think I was actually doing that strumming/damping percussive thing that Leigh does on such songs as C30 and GSBT; I utilise it on a couple of our songs (although we're nothing at all like BWW).

• Thanks 1

[quote name='4000' post='329485' date='Nov 14 2008, 11:39 PM']Thanks Nik. Here's another of the 4000 with my other Rics:

The 4000 has been my main gigging bass for the past few years. However after last night (and due to other rather more nebulous factors) I'm actually thinking of selling it. It's a great bass, very aggressive sounding; far more so than my 4001s. Imagine if JJ Burnel played a Ric and you're about there. I found last night that for the first time in years I needed the addition of that deep, mellifluous neck pickup sound, so 2/3 of the way through the gig I switched to the CS. I must be getting old!

It does indeed look like I'm hanging on for dear life! I think I was actually doing that strumming/damping percussive thing that Leigh does on such songs as C30 and GSBT; I utilise it on a couple of our songs (although we're nothing at all like BWW).[/quote]
Gorgeous trio of Rics!

I used to have one when I was a kid (should never have sold it :)) and have always found them the fastest necks to play. I know what you mean about needing that extra depth from the neck pick up; it's why I stopped using a Musicman Sub 5 a year or so ago. I think you'd regret it if you sold it though??

That Leigh strumming/damping effect is a great sound isn't it.. I use it occasionally and it drives our keyboard player mad as it sends the bass level through the PA way too high.. :huh:

Sorry for going off topic.

Played in Sheppy last night without one of our guitarists and he is touchy type so we couldn't use our name or our songs :huh: so we called ourselves "The Rimjobs" and did lots of covers (mainly of The Plan :) ) was ALOT of fun and we got some serious compliments after, that was really nice.

I played through an Ashdown 2 x 10 1 x 15 never seen one before it sounded great with my Ampeg which was as growly as a motherf**ker.

Good times, I have already posted pics on another thread but heres another.

Nice local gig with Manchester based blues singer Victor Brox. Only downside was another calamity in the life or my car when the passenger window collapsed and we had to strip all the interior of thr door to wedge it back up :) Oh well, another fun trip to the garage as it looks like something has snapped in the winder assembly somewhere :huh:

[quote name='beerdragon' post='329634' date='Nov 15 2008, 01:01 PM']Blimey. Victor Brox. he's still going!. he must be about ninety odd now.[/quote]

Yeah, he's getting on a bit but still got a really powerful voice and does some great piano and trumpet playing :) Played some 12 string too. He comes down to Swansea a couple of times a year and it's always a fun gig.

Cheers
Alun

Played Old Friends in Greenwich last night as part of punk all-dayer - turned out to be a squatted pub with barred-up windows, full of serious punks, dubious substances, cigarette smoke etc. But actually had a great vibe and we played really well. Appearances can be deceptive!

Our drummer was recording with his 'other' band so we were invited along for an evening 'session' as they were having friends round for a party.

Having found the studio in the middle of nowhere, I was told that his band's singer had done his throat during the day's recording and they would not be playing. Hung around two hours for our singer to show, then found the assembled multitude didn't want to listen to us anyway!

To add insult to injury the (worse for drink) studio owner started loudly f***ing about with my bass/rig without permission which resulted in a serious eyeball to eyeball exchange of views. Trouble is my bandmates now want to record with this joker...

It was a gig, Jim,but not as we know it. :)

Edited by Mickeyboro

Have meaning to post on the site more often so what better place than to talk about last nights gig! Was with my metal/classic rock covers band Rulebreaker at The Sitwell Tavern in Derby. Second time we have played there and after what we thought was a dodgy first gig so were all keen to show everyone what we were really like! Despite a pre-gig fight between some of the locals we went down really well and have hopefully got some bike rally work for the future.

Only downside was still not being able to hear myself properly but I put that down to the position of my amp on the somewhat cramped stage that was half taken up by a boxing simulator that "couldn't be moved"!

[quote name='Alun' post='329660' date='Nov 15 2008, 02:27 PM']Yeah, he's getting on a bit but still got a really powerful voice and does some great piano and trumpet playing :) Played some 12 string too. He comes down to Swansea a couple of times a year and it's always a fun gig.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

His daughter "Kyla Brox" was the first act on at the Bassday in Manchester last Sunday.