Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I played bass at the Union Chapel's free Christmas Concert/Carol Service last sunday night, with Ensemble & Choir, first time I've read the dots and played a
musical instrument at the same time since I was about 11 - more than 40 years ago. I ain't religious but there was no way I was going to pass this one up.

Sure as hell makes a change from playing and singing in a covers band at a pub gig, and was an absolute privilege, the best christmas present to myself
since I bought the Status.

Merry Christmas everyone!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1355571121' post='1900015']
...They basically completely ignored us! The guys were just hanging out chatting at the bar down the far end of the pub, whilst we were in effect playing to an empty room! There was no applause, no dancing, nothing. By the time we finished the first set, we were feeling pretty down, but the landlord said we were great, and the guy who booked us said we were awesome and that all the guys were really enjoying it, despite them not showing it! He said "we don't really do dancing or anything."
[/quote]

Had pretty much an identical (lack of) crowd reaction combined with delighted club secretary/landlord in Scunthorpe last Friday. Very odd.

Played at the excellent live venue The Donkey in Leicester, supporting the Pressure Tenants. It was sold out, and we had a good gig, with the modest response and dancing befitting a support band.
The Pressure Tenants had guest trombone and trumpet players who also play with The Specials! Really nice guys and great band.

Last night was f#*in' storming! It was our traditional Christmas eve eve eve gig in one of our regular pubs in Bridport. All our regular crowd turned up in full on party mood and we kicked the arse out of the place. A fantastic end to a great year of gigs.

A new venue for us in Harlow, Essex on saturday night.
Our first gig with new singer and new guitarist.

Couple of slightly ropey moments but on the whole it was a fine gig. Plenty of punters up and dancing.

More bookings out of it and asked if we would consider doing New Years Eve [u]2013[/u] :)

A great night for us last night. only our second gig (the first being saturday) at a private party in Kings Lynn. The guests composed of staff from 3 or 4 local leisure centres (ie council staff etc) and we couldn't see a single guest who we could rate under a 7/10 (in attractiveness ;) )
Naturally no pictures no attractive audience, but they might follow.
First set was a bit quiet, but seemed to be appreciated and people were enjoying drinking and chatting. Second set had the floor rocking (the whole shack shimmied!)

Edited by gapiro

Interesting 'jam' night Boxing day. Played one song, with a drummer and guitarist I'd never met other than that the pub was rammed to bursting and the other people playing seemed to be established bands playing prearranged sets. Still a good 'music' night.

A few nights ago at the Jam Cafe, Nottingham.
We were supplying the kit, and although the guitarist and I delivered all the gear in plenty of time, the drummer was about an hour late for no good reason, leaving the other band's drummer to assemble it - a bit embarrassing and frustrating. A lesson for future that crystal clear instructions are necessary!
A decent crowd and atmosphere, and thankfully the rain didn't keep people away.
It was a good opportunity to gig my new cab without PA support, and I loved the sound!
The other band, We Are Avengers, were great. BC's Lee-Man was depping and did a Stirling job (both the way he played, and the bass he played with) - an obviously proficient, experienced and talented chap.

New Year's Eve at The Maze in Nottingham with Dick Venom & The Terrortones.

And pretty bloody good it was too! Sci-fi themed evening with plenty of people dressed up. Last time we played at the Maze it was a fairly uninspiring affair marred by technical difficulties. None of that this time. A good sized-appreciative audience, some of whom knew what to expect, but a good number seeing us for the first time. Played well, and put on a good show. Followed by the awesome Vince Ripper and the Rodent Show. Got home at 4.30 in the morning. Still slightly drunk...

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/3494_579518722063872_171920998_n_zps2ed01b59.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/383776_579519232063821_424612128_n_zps7a17e115.jpg[/IMG]

Now I just have to wash all Mr Venom's green body paint off my bass and stage clothes...

Played a NYE duo gig at the largest Chinese restaurant in the UK, favoured haunt of Messrs Prescott & Blair..... despite a bit of confusion over stage times, had our fill of chinese food, did 1 set at 10pm, and was home by 11.30pm to see the new year in with almost a weeks wages in my back pocket. Not very rock & roll but there ya go :)

Some Much better photos from our NYE gig:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/IMG_3636.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/IMG_3452.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/IMG_3651.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/IMG_3404.jpg[/IMG]

Fantastic photos there mate.

My NYE gig was a bit of a belter. Place was buzzing but not crammed - just the right amount of people on the floor - a full room but still enough space for everyone to dance. I did a hell of a lot more prancing around than I normally do, and didn't touch a drop! (Not that I normally do... :ph34r: ) Photos soon...

Then yesterday I had a hair-of-the-dog jam and a BBQ with some friends in the afternoon, then caught Shine in the evening, who are a mixture of pro musicians from Cornwall and London. Great players, and really nice guys as well. They did an impromptu jam-type thing too which went down well. Their drummer is pretty sh*t hot and a joy to play with, and at the end of the evening he told me that he loves my style and I'm a "killer" bass player. Good way to start the year methinks. Oh, and I may have picked up a gig or two from that evening too :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very good gig last night, one of the best Iv'e had with my present band. Well paid, free drinks, enthusiastic audience, we all played well, three encores.

I'm feeling really pleased until........I come back into the pub after loading my car to see the drummer having a rant at our guitarist/bandleader which ended with him resigning with immediate effect.

Bad end to a great evening.

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1358078750' post='1932626']
Very good gig last night, one of the best Iv'e had with my present band. Well paid, free drinks, enthusiastic audience, we all played well, three encores.

I'm feeling really pleased until........I come back into the pub after loading my car to see the drummer having a rant at our guitarist/bandleader which ended with him resigning with immediate effect.

Bad end to a great evening.
[/quote]

Three encores ... Yay
Drummer resignation ..... Boooo
Hopefully when things calm down he'll come back

A packed house for Moore Lizzy at The Sportsman in Hull, what a pleasure to perform! Slightly stressful soundcheck due to ringing guitar mics but managed to get that under control & the show went on without any issues...... Dep guitarist did a solid job. Drummer pulled out all the stops in Shalala & got a roof-raising cheer. I nearly chopped me fingers off when I jumped up on a bass bin & put my hand up in the air feeling the whisk of air from a ceiling fan! :rolleyes: