Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

22 minutes ago, WalMan said:

After a difficult week when we lost my mother unexpectedly - saw her Saturday and Sunday morning, leaving her with a cheery “see you next week”, to 9 Sunday evening in A&E talking DNR’s with the doctors 😢 - last night it was a blessed relief to get out to a gig with a great crowd singing and dancing.

Sound seemed pretty good though one of the guitarist’s boost setting for solos could probably have done with a bit more.

Drummer’s stool broke halfway through a song in the set and he had to finish the night on one of the pub’s chairs as the stool was not repairable.

I clearly dug in too hard even with the IEM’s as I have a big old blister on my index finger.

https://fb.watch/shD9Bhs2So/?

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1330.jpeg

IMG_1329.jpeg

Am so sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

We should have been at our favourite venue last night but… our rhythm guitarist had a heart attack two days before.

He had a stent fitted and was sent home yesterday and is convinced he will be able to play next Friday. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

We should have been at our favourite venue last night but… our rhythm guitarist had a heart attack two days before.

He had a stent fitted and was sent home yesterday and is convinced he will be able to play next Friday. 

Miracle of modern science, here’s hoping your rhythm guitarist is good for Friday…. and beyond!

• Like 1

Public Service Announcement had a show at the iconic Hope and Anchor in Islington last night. A drive through London in rush hour traffic certainly wasn't something I was looking forward to, but it was actually a surprisingly smooth journey and parking was easy.

Hope and Anchor has played host to some amazing bands such as The Damned (where the New Rose video was filmed) and The Stranglers. Ironically, both bands are playing this weekend at the Stone Valley Festival, which meant a fair number of our target market were unavailable. Baring that in mind, it was a decent turn out, including former England footballer Stuart Pearce. The band played very well, were very well received and shifted a good amount of merch. All in all a very enjoyable evening.

IMG-20240524-WA0016.jpg

• Like 16

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

sounds like a bit of a slacker, are you sure he’s committed to the band 🤣

Got to be done 😁 I’ve planned operations around gigs and tried to get back maybe too soon but I can’t let go 🤪

Edited by WalMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, WalMan said:

After a difficult week when we lost my mother unexpectedly - saw her Saturday and Sunday morning, leaving her with a cheery “see you next week”, to 9 Sunday evening in A&E talking DNR’s with the doctors 😢 - last night it was a blessed relief to get out to a gig with a great crowd singing and dancing.

Sound seemed pretty good though one of the guitarist’s boost setting for solos could probably have done with a bit more.

Drummer’s stool broke halfway through a song in the set and he had to finish the night on one of the pub’s chairs as the stool was not repairable.

I clearly dug in too hard even with the IEM’s as I have a big old blister on my index finger.

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1330.jpeg

IMG_1329.jpeg

So sorry for your loss

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Great British Tribute Festival at Newcastle Upon Tyne with the Elton John tribute.

Proper trek from the midlands but a really good gig. Still currently on the road getting home, waiting for my McDonald’s coffee to arrive…

IMG_4216.jpeg

8d1280d4-01db-42c7-84a4-80739bb06485.jpeg

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 17

12 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Acoustic gig tonight. Great venue and staff.

TONIGHT! Join us on the patio at MOTOR Bar & Restaurant! 5:30-8:30pm!
BBQ & Blues / Music by: She's Right - I'm Left

FB_IMG_1716652308980.jpg

FB_IMG_1716653159275.jpg

Ok, no sugar coating the gig.

We played outside on the patio. We really don't have a draw in Milwaukee and it shows. I'd say we had a poor turn out.

Seems like we only have nice crowds at festivals and fairs where there's an embedded crowd.

A little sad.

Daryl

20240525_191225.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

18 hours ago, WalMan said:

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1330.jpeg

IMG_1329.jpeg

Ah Alan I’m so sorry 😢Music is a good healer though, even if you got blisters from it!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WalMan said:

So sorry to hear the sad news about your Mum. As always our thoughts are with you at such a difficult time.

Gig looked a great night and nice to focus on something else at this sad time.

All the very best

Dave and everyone at BC.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

WOW at least he's gonna be ok so that's good news.

All our best to him as it must have been a scary time for him.

Dave

Emergency Exit punk covers band at Wallace Bike Rally in Stirling last night. We were first band on using the other bands PA and drum kit so that was good for us. I took my own bass gear tho. Had dancers on the floor for most songs and lot of applause and whistles after each song which was a bonus. Other band i think were Gun Law but not 100% sure. Great bunch of guys tho and very helpful setting up and making sure we were happy with the PA sound. Their bassist was using a very nice Ric Laredo bass into an Ashdown head and an SWR 610 cab. He also had a Hartke head on top of his cab too but guessing it was a back up. They had driven up from Leeds and have played this gig for past 28 years. WOW. 

I was using the Godin into Handbox WB-100 and my Mesa SW210/115 cabs. I realised when we started playing that i was getting a bit more distortion than normal and halfway thru Do Anything You Wanna Do i realised i had turned the Gain up at last gig when using my Sandberg bass and the Godin has very hot pick ups. Adjusted for the next song and all was good. Other bands bassist complimented me on my sound and liked the idea of the smaller Mesa cabs compared to his SWR 610. 

Myself and drummer decided to go in his car (Skoda 4x4 big thing.) My wife also goes to all my gigs except the Blue Angels ones.

We finished around 9:45pm which was great and decided a wee Maccy D's was in order and that was a great idea before the drive home which was only an hr. No traffic either way so that was another bonus.

Bike Rally audiences are an odd bunch. I think they would rather sit and talk bikes witha beer in hand than watch bands. Always an odd thiing when you are first band on. Not enough booze consumed for guys to dance yet i reckon. :laugh1:

Also doing a biker gig in Tomintoul next month with punk band. 4hr drive for me. Fee will just about cover my fuel costs but our singer attends the rally and it was a favour for her.

Dave

• Like 15

Gig without our new keyboard player, first gig in 4 or 5 without him so a good chance to see what he adds / removes from the band. Local pub thats very long and thin so quite a way from the people. I had a nightmare the last gig, the sound was all wrong, couldn't get a sound I liked on the bass, people were complaining about the singers being not loud enough etc,  and hated it so I was all for not hating it this time (reminding myself I do this for my own enjoyment). There is a lot of space so setup was easy and I didn't stress anything. Plugged it in and it instantly sounded all good - I had put new strings on the bass, and polished the frets, as well as having the new ME90B, I was in love with the bass sound. 

The crowd wasn't large but they had a lot of feedback, with responses between songs and dancing once they got drunk enough. 

Some songs (billie jean etc) really missed the keyboard, and a couple of songs we didn't bother with because they were keyboard heavy, but we also brought some songs back we hadn't played for a while that were keyboard-less and it was nice to do them. It is true to say that noticably in some songs, the keys weren't tramping on the bass, or fighting with the guitar for space, I guess we just have to work out how to arrange those songs.

Anyway, very enjoyable gig, and also with 4 instead of 5 on a well paying gig, more money!

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I had a nightmare the last gig, the sound was all wrong, couldn't get a sound I liked on the bass, people were complaining about the singers being not loud enough etc,  and hated it so I was all for not hating it this time (reminding myself I do this for my own enjoyment). There is a lot of space so setup was easy and I didn't stress anything. Plugged it in and it instantly sounded all good - I had put new strings on the bass, and polished the frets, as well as having the new ME90B, I was in love with the bass sound. 

So what bass was this?

Third year of the musical "Five, the Dionnes" a show about the famous quintuplets born 90 years ago just a few miles from me. The previous shows were in a large old theatre in North Bay and I posted about them, but this year it was a lower budget fundraiser for the Dionne museum in a smaller hall with seating for about 180 and we had a full house. The seven piece band was squeezed into a corner but since most of us have played the show for all three years we managed very well.  Most of the actors were returnees but the two new ones were very good singers and this was the best version we have done, lovely harmonies in many songs. The production is performed the way an old time radio drama would have been done with the actors reading from scripts and into individual mics and playing several characters with sound effects and background music and songs scattered throughout the play. The audience loved it and other than a bit of a bobble in one song I managed OK, two of the numbers start with a few bars of a solo bass riff and I nailed those.

The photos were taken during the sound check in the afternoon, I used my Shen SB 100 into my Traynor SB112 and DI into the PA.

All in all a good night. 😊

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1