Why become a member? ×

Gearstalkers

Pete Academy

Had a few gearstalkers by the stage tonight. Strange enough I have always been able to tell true musicians just by looking at them and these werent.

Chinstrokers I always have called them- I could feel them staring at my playing tonight- I can tell that they werent true musicians as when I broke into some fairly basic slapping on Papa was a rolling stone they all went "Whooooahhhh! "

Still - I probably would do the same with a few pints in me.

Bob

• 6 months later...

Well i'm really not one of those people. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong i really am a gear geek and have alot of random bits of kit to twiddle and bash ect.

one thing i've done is get a rack case for all my gear so i stick my 8X10 up there behind the drummer and stick the rack off the stage to one side, near me, so people have no idea what i'm using other than my bass and cab. Also i have tapped over the name on my floor deck :lol: I try to hide my gear because i want people to enjoy that we play and not bitch at me or just stand at the bar looking down their nose at me while i set up and play. :) maybe i've just played in some bad venues...

[quote name='neepheid' post='756738' date='Feb 25 2010, 09:45 AM']I'm always gear spotting at gigs. It's just another form of geekery :)[/quote]

Yup, same 'ere. It's not just Bass gear either. I was a 'shred' guitarist for about 5 years too and LOVE guitar gear too... oh and drums. Drum hardware is cool! I could ramble on all day with anyone who has an interest in 'techy geeky music stuff'!

I used to do this quite a bit but hadn't done it in ages until recently when I saw a band which had a great bass sound. Then I just couldn't help myself, had to wait till the end of the gig and sneak through the crowd to have a peek at the pedal board.

Turned out to be really ordinary (common, mid price stuff) but just used really well. Made me smile.

[quote name='3V17C' post='756896' date='Feb 25 2010, 12:40 PM']yeah i'm a 'gearstalker' too.. and also I tend to judge a band on the quality/brand/level of gear they have before I've heard them play a note.... any one else guilty of this?! c'mon.. own up!! (my assumptions on said bands are normally correct though it must be said!!)

peace

c[/quote]
:rolleyes: I've noticed that a lot too I have to say but it also goes the other way. I've often been called a prick when using the 'wick. Gear snobbery to resentment in 0.9 sec. :) I'm more than happy to use the 'ol Hohner or Yamaha at any gig. The result will be the same.
The ony thing I check in a venue is the bass amp. Unless there is something standout, then I'm an uber geek!

[quote name='Mog' post='940046' date='Aug 30 2010, 03:53 PM']I've often been called a prick when using the 'wick. Gear snobbery to resentment in 0.9 sec. :) I'm more than happy to use the 'ol Hohner or Yamaha at any gig. The result will be the same.[/quote]

It is at this point that you slam the headstock right into their face before stating; "Even the cheapest bass can break your nose as good as the best of them!"

The gearstalkers are going to have a great time with one of my function bands. We've recently started using Line 6 Pods and
in-ear monitors so there are no amps at all on stage. The front of house sound great though,so it'll really confuse them all.

[quote name='Doddy' post='940140' date='Aug 30 2010, 04:41 PM']The gearstalkers are going to have a great time with one of my function bands. We've recently started using Line 6 Pods and
in-ear monitors so there are no amps at all on stage. The front of house sound great though,so it'll really confuse them all.[/quote]

This seems to be a growing trend. I feel a thread coming on...

[quote name='Dubs' post='756871' date='Feb 25 2010, 12:03 PM']I love gear stalking :rolleyes: It's the first thing I do when I get into a venue - look at what's on the stage! I very rarely actually seek out people to talk about their gear though...

I've reached the point in my band where I've stopped talking about gear because it became a running joke where I'd turn up to practice with a new head almost every other week. They think I'm the ultimate gear slut, but I know I'm not as bad as some on here :)[/quote]

Exactly this!

Got to admit, I check out other bands gear. Not so much to make a judgement on them, but out of a genuine interest in seeing what gear people favour. Especially if after the gig a particular instrument/effect has had, in my opinion, a great sound.

I've only done it twice with pub bands. With name bands I thought it was compulsory, like a law?

The first band I asked was when I first saw one of those pseudo-EB3s that Ovation made with the bloody great pup on it? Forget the name just now - but that's a MAN's bass!!!

Second time was a guitarist playing slide on a John Birch Les Paul in silverburst. Gorgeous machine & not many of them about. I've got a JB myself, and a couple of "Birch"-ed guitars so I had to check it out.

Most of the time it'll be a quick glance and "oh - it's a Fender :) ", or "oh - it's a Marshall :rolleyes: ".

Edited by Big_Stu

I certainly do check out the gear on stage. If I saw P basses and ampegs, I know the band will probably be pretty bad, or at least not to my taste. It's the same deal if I see a Les Paul and a Marshall. If I were to see a Status or an Alembic plugged into a Trace Elliot head, I'd probably think the band would be pretty good - or even if their material was crap, they'd have awesome chops in rehearsal!

I used to see a lot more gear when I worked in a hotel. I remember seeing a hugely professional looking band once, they had their own stage rig and everything, a 20' construct with their own light show. Every piece of kit on the stage was top end too, the bassist had a Fodera Emperor 5 string with a beautiful quilted maple top played through a Genz Benz head and 8x10" cab. I bet he was a great fusion player, although the band's material was probably a load of crap, as it often has to be to get hotel party gigs!

[quote name='skej21' post='940050' date='Aug 30 2010, 04:00 PM']It is at this point that you slam the headstock right into their face before stating; "Even the cheapest bass can break your nose as good as the best of them!"[/quote]

:) Sounds like you've been to a Castero gig! :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='Doddy' post='940140' date='Aug 30 2010, 05:41 PM']The gearstalkers are going to have a great time with one of my function bands. We've recently started using Line 6 Pods and
in-ear monitors so there are no amps at all on stage. The front of house sound great though,so it'll really confuse them all.[/quote]

E-gearstalking Alert!! Can I ask what IEM system you are using Doddy. I've also started using a Pod Live for some shows after reading a few posts here, (cheers Silddx :) ) and want to pick up a good system instead of carrying a wedge. I know feck all about IEM's though.

[quote name='Mog' post='940412' date='Aug 30 2010, 09:38 PM']E-gearstalking Alert!! Can I ask what IEM system you are using Doddy. I've also started using a Pod Live for some shows after reading a few posts here, (cheers Silddx :) ) and want to pick up a good system instead of carrying a wedge. I know feck all about IEM's though.[/quote]

I don't use anything fancy. I just take a line from the desk into a Rolls personal monitor box and use a good pair of Shure earphones. I've not gone wireless,because I've never needed to,and as I use cables for my bass it's not like I'm roaming for miles anyway. It's nothing expensive or anything but it does a good job.All I have to do is plug the Pod in and take a line to the monitors and job done.

[quote name='Doddy' post='941296' date='Aug 31 2010, 07:50 PM']I don't use anything fancy. I just take a line from the desk into a Rolls personal monitor box and use a good pair of Shure earphones. I've not gone wireless,because I've never needed to,and as I use cables for my bass it's not like I'm roaming for miles anyway. It's nothing expensive or anything but it does a good job.All I have to do is plug the Pod in and take a line to the monitors and job done.[/quote]

He bought those Shure earphones from me. Bloody bargain!

• 2 months later...