Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

On 13/08/2022 at 11:11, JPJ said:

Being a fan of the Yamaha NE-1 parametric eq but having stupidly owned two and sold both, I’ve just ordered a clone kit from Germany https://www.musikding.de/NE_04-bass-preamp-kit and I’m going to have a go at assembling this myself. This will be my first attempt so who knows the outcome but I’ll keep you guys and girls updated on here for the comedy value if nothing else.

I like the look of some of their stuff. There are a whole host of different kits on their site.

I would be very interested to know how the ordering & delivery process goes and whether it gets delayed or you get stung for a lot of VAT etc. Please keep us posted.

36 minutes ago, Rich said:

I like the look of some of their stuff. There are a whole host of different kits on their site.

I would be very interested to know how the ordering & delivery process goes and whether it gets delayed or you get stung for a lot of VAT etc. Please keep us posted.

I’m planning on doing a big order soon :) 

Is there a U.K. equivalent for parts and/or kits at all? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rich said:

I order from Musikding a lot. I've found them to have the most reliable kit contents of anyone I've ordered from. Each resistor labelled. No VAT or import charges as yet. Shipping usually 7-10 days. Vast selection of kits available. Klaus rocks! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Dunno how ‘into’ DIY pedals you are, but it’s much cheaper to buy resistors in packs of 100 for  less than a pound from places like bright components 

https://store.brightcomponents.co.uk/

or switch electronics

https://www.switchelectronics.co.uk/

Both are UK companies, so no worries about import duty.

I bought a pack of various values as there's no one value I use to such an extent that I'd use 50 or 100 of it in my lifetime - the possible exception being 220R (for MIDI). I think it was Vellman that did that set.

This might be a better bet for the hobbyist: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313771152958 - 5xE24 values or 5xE12

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I bought a pack of various values as there's no one value I use to such an extent that I'd use 50 or 100 of it in my lifetime - the possible exception being 220R (for MIDI). I think it was Vellman that did that set.

This might be a better bet for the hobbyist: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313771152958 - 5xE24 values or 5xE12

I started out by buying kits like that (about 20 years ago), and I think I still have some of them left - never found much use for 10R resistors or similar, but if you’re just building one pedal then they make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2022 at 17:56, Passinwind said:

Latest version of my open source hybrid filter pedal:

MilitaryGreen.JPG.9b3bb334fab027e4a223c55088d323fb.JPG

And then I lost my mind and ordered a couple of new enclosures with the sort of cartoonish graphics that are not typically my cuppa at all:

Manti.thumb.png.4f51778ef7db32049345981730a396f9.png

I did a course on the Unix based OS Solaris some years ago, and the building blocks often followed different conventions. The tutor said that they were written in Southern California in the 60s and the difference between the modules? Different drugs. Seriously, those are superb designs, and I mean the filters as well as the graphics.

• Thanks 1

On 19/08/2022 at 11:36, Rich said:

First update, so I ordered and paid for my kit on the 12th of August, and today I have received an update to say my kit should be dispatched within the next 1-2 days. Expect the smell of burning flesh once the kit arrives 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I ended up ordering the parts to the Frog FX1 I want to build, a Vong filter kit and also had my eye on the Baja LA-2A style compressor circuit ... (Essentially a Demeter Compulator that he's changed to be feed forward and another boost stage, like the LA2A rather than feed backward)

Started googling how to etch my own boards and Etchant etc... and ended up hopefully learning how to use KiCad and getting a company in china to make me 5 boards... bit mental but a lot cheaper than a bottle of Etchant....  even if I don't use 80% of the boards they are making me! so HOPEFULLY no mistakes in what I've sent them!! :D 

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

We may need a “I want to decorate my pedals but don’t have the kit @disssa has”  support group

I agree - it looks like printed decals, drill templates made in a graphics program with layers for the labeling + meticulous attention to detail. Whatever it is it makes my labels look shonky!

Edited by bloke_zero

1 hour ago, bloke_zero said:

I agree - it looks like printed decals, drill templates made in a graphics program with layers for the labeling + meticulous attention to detail. Whatever it is it makes my labels look shonky!

Pop back to page 87 for @Wilson_51_ 's recipe, which @disssa has taken to new heights. Must try it myself at some point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Pop back to page 87 for @Wilson_51_ 's recipe, which @disssa has taken to new heights. Must try it myself at some point.

I've been meaning to try that as well, but since I discovered someone nearly local who does beautiful one off UV prints for $6 a box it's gone to the back burner for now. 😉

On 22/08/2022 at 17:16, JPJ said:

First update, so I ordered and paid for my kit on the 12th of August, and today I have received an update to say my kit should be dispatched within the next 1-2 days. Expect the smell of burning flesh once the kit arrives 😂

So the kit arrived at home today so that’s about three weeks from order. No claims for import duty or VAT 😎 Typically the kit arrives when I’m halfway around the world away and crazy busy in the day job so probably won’t get to open this for another week or so 😤