Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

If anyone felt so inclined they could nip over to pedalpcb and vote up my project request: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/ashdown-james-lomenzo-hyperdrive.13599/

a uk made pedal for bass players - you would probably be quicker tracing it yourself! :D 

54 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Yes, found that one, but would prefer not to vero, and I can't etch......so holding out for a PCB haha. Maybe I'll crack out Eagle again and see if I can lay it out.

Been a few years though.

Si

Edited by Sibob

So I forgot how much pedal building added up if you forget a thing...

After the of course I go to start of the valve preamp build and start with the diodes ... except I have one less diode than I need. 
Somehow the order for one diode and one other IC for something else ended up on me spending £30 on other stuff... in anticipation for the next couple of builds...

I was about to order some PCBs and stopped myself, just done the sums on how much everything will cost and we are over £100 for two pedals. One of them is quite complex and bucket brigade chips cost a fair bit but still  :S  pause for now. 

Also any negative experiences of ordering from Tayda?

On 26/09/2022 at 16:55, JPJ said:

So kit no2 assembled and tested and……..well it works, but it is quiet, like really quiet. I’ve obviously cooked something or made some other error but I am going to take another look tonight to see if I can spot anything obviously wrong. 

A little update. I contacted Julian at Schalltechnik_04 who very helpfully marked up some photographs of my PCB with joints he wanted me to resolder. Kit No2 came without the push button switch so I had incorrectly wired in a DPDT on/on in its place and Julian also helped me with the correct wiring. Unfortunately, during the desoldering of the switch I managed to cook the board (I know) so kit no2 is now in the bin and this spells the end of my DIY effect building career. It’s been fun and a huge learning curve but I will step out now and let those of you who clearly know what you are doing carry on with the electrickity 😎

All a WIP and a sideline for when I have a few hours to myself…. I like making effects from Kits — Fuzzdog, Pedalparts and JedsPeds and so on… …but the very best bit is…

37586D05-A25D-4DA6-A64D-EDD9E17C6325.thumb.jpeg.534a8cd45a8ee9084cea7eaef820ba46.jpeg

making my own woodwork for the boxes. Here we have Spalted holly and Walnut/Iroko offcuts/reclaims.

I made my own pedalboard for them to sit on too. Iroko salvage and Maple PAR planks.

765BD22C-1609-47DD-9CFC-79664C929774.thumb.jpeg.c62ab0b631d6c40f84ce3b0a7035a7b7.jpeg

People say “thats not very punk” but I cant think of anything more punk than making your own DIY stuff.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, PunkPonyPrincess said:

All a WIP and a sideline for when I have a few hours to myself…. I like making effects from Kits — Fuzzdog, Pedalparts and JedsPeds and so on… …but the very best bit is…

37586D05-A25D-4DA6-A64D-EDD9E17C6325.thumb.jpeg.534a8cd45a8ee9084cea7eaef820ba46.jpeg

making my own woodwork for the boxes. Here we have Spalted holly and Walnut/Iroko offcuts/reclaims.

I made my own pedalboard for them to sit on too. Iroko salvage and Maple PAR planks.

765BD22C-1609-47DD-9CFC-79664C929774.thumb.jpeg.c62ab0b631d6c40f84ce3b0a7035a7b7.jpeg

People say “thats not very punk” but I cant think of anything more punk than making your own DIY stuff.

Wow the enclosures and board look amazing!

How did you shield the wooden enclosures from RF interference?

On 07/10/2022 at 09:50, Bigwan said:

If anyone felt so inclined they could nip over to pedalpcb and vote up my project request: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/ashdown-james-lomenzo-hyperdrive.13599/

I've just upvoted it :D Why did it take me so long to join that forum?

• Like 1