Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

12 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

help! What's a normal value for a LED protection resistor? 
Standard 9v supply, 5mm LED operating voltage 2v .... I got a load of 1.8k resistors but think they might be too high? 

You need to know what the current is too. Typically about 20mA but different colours are different currents. Dropping 7V at 20mA would take a 350R resistor.

10 minutes ago, tauzero said:

You need to know what the current is too. Typically about 20mA but different colours are different currents. Dropping 7V at 20mA would take a 350R resistor.

cheers - I found this informative... https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=98464.0 

I'll try my 1.8k and see how we are with brightness... 

14 hours ago, tauzero said:

Currents in the ball park of 20mA are normally far too much for a realistic light level. An LED of any colour will likely be too bright for comfort at that current (it will also produce a heating effect that reduces the brightness a bit and shortens the life expectancy of the LED). Values of 10/20mA are often quoted as max continuous rated current etc but typically much lower currents 1 - 2 mA or even less for "High Efficiency" types give a usable light level.

• Like 2

1.8 kΩ with a 7 V drop would give you (mental arithmetic) somewhere between 3 and 4 mA, which should be visible with most LEDs. If it's too dim and you need to build it right now, you can parallel up two or three of the 1.8 k's to get (all other things being equal) double or triple the current.

On 01/09/2022 at 22:42, JPJ said:

So the kit arrived at home today so that’s about three weeks from order. No claims for import duty or VAT 😎 Typically the kit arrives when I’m halfway around the world away and crazy busy in the day job so probably won’t get to open this for another week or so 😤

So I'm finally home and able to take a look at the kit. Whilst it looks quite daunting to a novice like me, everything is nicely packaged and identified and the instructions (you download these from the website) are comprehensive. I think I'll probably leave it until the weekend to get the soldering iron out as I'm a bit knackered after ten days on the road.

IMG_7259.jpeg

IMG_7260.jpeg

2 hours ago, JPJ said:

So I'm finally home and able to take a look at the kit. Whilst it looks quite daunting to a novice like me, everything is nicely packaged and identified and the instructions (you download these from the website) are comprehensive. I think I'll probably leave it until the weekend to get the soldering iron out as I'm a bit knackered after ten days on the road.

IMG_7259.jpeg

IMG_7260.jpeg

I started my Vong kit last night - it’s nice, hardest bit will be the enclosure graphics 

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Also - price of a pint in town and about a week or two from ordering….

hopefully they work!! 

image.jpg

Which board vendor did you go with?

Meanwhile, I've been finishing up my small run of 3 band preamp w/variable LPF builds. One left to go, then on to other things for the foreseeable future. I'll be releasing the open source spec very soon but parts availability is likely to be an ongoing hassle for at least another year.

3 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

Which board vendor did you go with?

Meanwhile, I've been finishing up my small run of 3 band preamp w/variable LPF builds. One left to go, then on to other things for the foreseeable future. I'll be releasing the open source spec very soon but parts availability is likely to be an ongoing hassle for at least another year.

Elecrow - they seemed to be good! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JPJ said:

IMG_7259.jpeg

IMG_7260.jpeg

Start with smallest components first - diodes and resistors up to electrolytic caps - makes it easier when you turn the board over to access the solder side.

Check polarity on diodes and electrolytic capacitors.

Socket ICs and transistors so they aren't damaged by excessive heat.

Use a crocodile clip (or similar) as a heatsink when soldering pots.

Above all, take your time and enjoy the ride.

On 08/09/2022 at 15:39, LukeFRC said:

I started my Vong kit last night - it’s nice, hardest bit will be the enclosure graphics 

And so it begins. As usual, having started I’m now being dragged off to do family stuff, but hope to be able to get more done later today.

020B7C2B-9FC7-482D-B2A3-616FF1BBE799.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, itu said:

Schalltechnik i.e. Julian has decided to stop delivering kits after 7 years. He has been supportive, and I wish he would get back to business.

Having made this kit all I can say is he's very very good at what he does and it was painless. 

Last pedal I build I was swearing at Vero board for a week so for it to all go together first time  and work is nice. :)

• Like 2

On 10/09/2022 at 12:43, JPJ said:

And so it begins. As usual, having started I’m now being dragged off to do family stuff, but hope to be able to get more done later today.

020B7C2B-9FC7-482D-B2A3-616FF1BBE799.jpeg

Well as might be expected for a first attempt - I have a non-functioning pedal. I know I messed up one capacitor connection as the solder merged between the two pins and I have a few other areas where my plumbing soldering techniques were a little, shall we say, heavy handed. 

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process and I’ve bought the kit again to have another go, well I have the enclosure now 😉

Edited by JPJ

1 hour ago, JPJ said:

Well as might be expected for a first attempt - I have a non-functioning pedal. I know I messed up one capacitor connection as the solder merged between the two pins and I have a few other areas where my plumbing soldering techniques were a little, shall we say, heavy handed. 

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process and I’ve bought the kit again to have another go, well I have the enclosure now 😉

You can fix it - do you have a solder sucker? 

51 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

You can fix it - do you have a solder sucker? 

I thought I did, but its missing in action somewhere. I did a bit of damage to the PCB trying other non-approved solder removal techniques and I’ve probably fried a few components too. But it was a great learning experience and I’m looking forward to attempt no2 (armed with a solder sucker, desoldering tape, smaller tips for my soldering iron, and a better magnifier). I will not be beaten 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

In the US it goes by "solder wick" or "desoldering braid", typically. Like so: https://www.aventools.com/desoldering-wick-1-5mm-0-06

I have a pro grade Pace desoldering station but still use braid 90+ % of the time.

Aw cool - I’ve been using a very cheap iron and a big solder sucker for years … I now know there’s easier ways!!