Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

36 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Aw cool - I’ve been using a very cheap iron and a big solder sucker for years … I now know there’s easier ways!!  

You can do a lot of damage with the braid if you're not up to speed with it, so braid size, temperature control, and proper iron tip selection are all quite important. And like so many things to do with soldering, getting in and out quickly often tends to be the best mode.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

Yep. But I'm also looking at little 3D printed boxes for the boards on some of my pedal builds, since a few critical pots I use don't come with 90 degree mounting pins.

Would a mini pcb and some kind of joining connection be simpler?

30 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Would a mini pcb and some kind of joining connection be simpler?

That's already kind of what I do, little daughter cards like so with flying wires:

NollPotBoards.JPG.5d42deccc427694d22490203fa49fd32.JPG

But yeah, right angle header pins and a sub board is a pretty standard solution that makes for a more secure mounting scheme and I may well go that route.

• Like 1

On 12/09/2022 at 14:23, JPJ said:

I thought I did, but its missing in action somewhere. I did a bit of damage to the PCB trying other non-approved solder removal techniques and I’ve probably fried a few components too. But it was a great learning experience and I’m looking forward to attempt no2 (armed with a solder sucker, desoldering tape, smaller tips for my soldering iron, and a better magnifier). I will not be beaten 😂

So my new kit arrived today and I am now armed with smaller soldering iron tips, solder sucker, desoldering wick, and a better magnifier. I’m not going to start on this until the weekend but I’ll keep you posted. Fingers crossed I don’t foobar this one up too. 

3 hours ago, JPJ said:

So my new kit arrived today and I am now armed with smaller soldering iron tips, solder sucker, desoldering wick, and a better magnifier. I’m not going to start on this until the weekend but I’ll keep you posted. Fingers crossed I don’t foobar this one up too. 

Slow and steady wins the day 

On 21/09/2022 at 11:38, Passinwind said:

Next up in my build queue, adding an HPF and shrinking the box size:

125B_v04K.png.3f0c23dea294c64c88645a157c19edd3.png

And here's the actual box, which got to me two days after submitting the graphics art to the printer guy the same day I posted that:

WTHPF_Chameleon.jpg.e63a8d106cdfcdb5954958e76f8dc7c8.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

All together….. bzzzzzzzzzzxxxxxxzzzzzzzzzzzz 

:s 

sooo...  Baja limiter ... and not all this is my fault as his layout and schematic don't match! 

I forgot how to wire the ground up... 
then I had buffered bypass working, but not on...
Then I found one tiny trace I had forgotten to add to the PCB, wire added... 

effect on, 
volume works, but turn the input up but signal creates static and buzz.... and then all goes haywire... 
then realise I had managed to send one side of the LDR to the wrong place
and managed to pink torpedo up one whole part of the circuit by putting the switch the wrong side of the bit it needs to switch.... 
luckily the two points above partially cancel each other out as there's a free pad right where I need it... 

and at 11.45pm I plug it in and it works... kinda.... 
volume (make up gain) makes it louder... 
Limit effects the limit where the led comes on... 

But... when it reaches this limit it seems to add distortion, not gain reduction! So something isn't quite right! :D

6 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

sooo...  Baja limiter ... and not all this is my fault as his layout and schematic don't match! 

I forgot how to wire the ground up... 
then I had buffered bypass working, but not on...
Then I found one tiny trace I had forgotten to add to the PCB, wire added... 

effect on, 
volume works, but turn the input up but signal creates static and buzz.... and then all goes haywire... 
then realise I had managed to send one side of the LDR to the wrong place
and managed to pink torpedo up one whole part of the circuit by putting the switch the wrong side of the bit it needs to switch.... 
luckily the two points above partially cancel each other out as there's a free pad right where I need it... 

and at 11.45pm I plug it in and it works... kinda.... 
volume (make up gain) makes it louder... 
Limit effects the limit where the led comes on... 

But... when it reaches this limit it seems to add distortion, not gain reduction! So something isn't quite right! :D

oh ok - thread tells me it might be that the LDR is too fast... I forgot I ordered some so have way too many... 

11 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

oh ok - thread tells me it might be that the LDR is too fast... I forgot I ordered some so have way too many... 

Interesting - I do love an LDR build! Let us know how it goes.

I'm just about to start a https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/generaltso/

Clones the ThorpyFX Fat General that has a couple of LDR in the circuit.

11 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Interesting - I do love an LDR build! Let us know how it goes.

I'm just about to start a https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/generaltso/

Clones the ThorpyFX Fat General that has a couple of LDR in the circuit.

I was looking at that - or the aeon Cornish compressor clone.

advantage of buying a kit you know it will work!!!

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

It took me quite a while to find all the parts (at least an hour looking differnt places) so there is that too - along with the heartbreak of having ineveitably ordered the wrong part for something key!

25 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

It took me quite a while to find all the parts (at least an hour looking differnt places) so there is that too - along with the heartbreak of having ineveitably ordered the wrong part for something key!

One reason I haven't gone anywhere near anything like this for a few years is I absolutely hate sourcing components.

29 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

I just bought a kit and pre-drilled enclosure from Musikding!

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

I have the board and LDR for the Aion OC-1 and just need to work out whatever "my" build spec is going to be and buy the rest of the parts. To say I'm not very good at following published build specs would be a huge understatement! 😎