Why become a member? ×

Help - I've run out of space and need to store Bass Amp Cabs and Guitars outside in shed!

coffee_king

Hi All
I've run out of space in my small apartment for equipment storage, but luckily I have an area outside that is safe where I can put a shed or storage unit of sorts. I need to be able to store my amp, cabs and guitars in there but was looking for some suggestions of how to store them so the weather doesn't affect them or f@ck up the electronics. I know this isn't the best situation, but there is really no space inside anymore.
In worst case scenarios it'd be going from cold, wet, damp, frozen days in the winter to boiling hot, sweaty days in the summer (yes it does get like this in UK sometimes).
I also need to be able to get hold of the equipment easily for gigs and rehearsals.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Shippo
UK

Do you have one of those storage facility places local.
Any shed you have would have to be a good one.
Bear in mind that any thing that goes from cold to warm environment will cause condensation to form,not good for electrics.
Definately wouldn't leave my guitars in a damp shed.

Unless you are Spiderman or own a crane there is no way you could gain access to my outside area, so insurance is not a problem.
Even though, my stuff is insured anyway.
I dont want to have to pay to store my equipment in a storage type warehouse as its used 2-3 times a week, so it would be a lot easier to have it on site at my property.
Please no more suggestions stating that I store it elsewhere as that isn't a viable option.
Any suggestions with regards to keeping it in a shed with climate variations?

Thanks
Shippo

[quote name='shippo' post='737152' date='Feb 6 2010, 01:18 PM']Please no more suggestions stating that I store it elsewhere as that isn't a viable option.[/quote]

Well I'm going to be awkward anyway! :)

Is there nothing else that is currently in your apartment that could be moved to an outside area to give you more space inside? People often keep stuff like fridges, freezers, tumble dryers etc in sheds so I wondered if with some creative moving around there might just be a way to keep your gear indoors?

Ventilation at the top of the shed walls and a couple of greenhouse type heaters ( the little tubes) to keep out the damp and you should be ok in the weather at the moment.
The thing you need to worry about is a change in temperature not what the temperature is. If you can shade it from the sun and do the above you should be fine. If it will be in direct sunlight insulation to the roof might be best. Providing it isn't sealed and you have a good air circulation from the heaters and vents I don't see a problem.
You will have a problem when you bring the gear indoors. You must leave your amps at least 3 - 4 hours before switching on to ensure there is no condensation.

I'd flightcase the gear, whether the shed was insulated or not. Mice. But you'll still need to acclimatise your electricals before use.

Mrs T's suggestion is best - put something in it that's less important than the bass gear. Maybe move the bed out there.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='737219' date='Feb 6 2010, 02:15 PM']Move into a house with another gearhead bassist. Stack amps higher than your head. Occasionally gaze at them with smug self-satisfaction.[/quote]

This is what I've done :)

Si

I rent a room from my lovely landlady so I'm in limited space. There's room for my bass and my stack but not any of the PA gear I've accumulated over the years.
Solution? I dumped it in my guitarist's garage :) He's got a big estate car and is now responsible for shifting it when we need it.

Yes, I'm awesome. Takes some charm, talent and cojones to pull that move off!

I have actually done this. I needed a music room where I could record and practice or just hide from my family so I lined and insulated one of my sheds. I used the silver bubble wrap type insulation and plasterboard. The shed has light and power from the workshop next door and is heated with an oil filled radiator (£30 from Argos). It stays nice and dry and the cat lives in there with me so no mice.
My nice Ibanez AEB still lives in the house but my amp, Epi T bird and a couple of cheap guitars are permanent residents.

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='737215' date='Feb 6 2010, 02:12 PM']Still thinking about this - could you gain extra room by getting a smaller sofa, losing unused chairs or replacing a dining table with collapsible tv tables?

Aha - Mr Skank you have given me the best idea yet - swap the bed for a hammock!!![/quote]

Taking this another step - buy a bunk bed and stash the gear under the top bunk.

I've kept all sorts of stuff in my unheated, unsealed garage over the last few years (including vintage basses and valve amps) with no discernible bad effects so far. It gets damp in there when the air is damp, but being unsealed means that it's well ventilated and dries out again just as quickly. Things like basses and amps are always in bags/cases anyway so the moisture can't reach them externally.

As others have pointed out, it's not the heat or the cold that does the damage - it's the change, especially rapid change. Keep your "go to" gear in the house with you and use the storage for just that, storage. Don't keep swapping stuff in and out.

Edited by Happy Jack

I don't think electronics will be adversely affected by the temperature changes (the manuals may even specifiy storage ranges) but I certainly agree about the condensation comments.

However, I would be more concerned about speaker cones getting damp and being weakened - possibly even damaged if played loudly while still damp?

[quote name='flyfisher' post='738175' date='Feb 7 2010, 03:59 PM']....However, I would be more concerned about speaker cones getting damp and being weakened - possibly even damaged if played loudly while still damp?[/quote]

+1. Learnt this myself the hard way. :) No more cabs in the garage for me!