Why become a member? ×

Looking for a P-bass...

Simon.

Holla folks, looking for some advice on the potential purchase of a P-bass - a very emotive subject, I know.

I currently have a CIJ 75 RI Jazz as my main bass, and frankly love it to bits. However, of late I've been getting a lot of calls to do blues/soul/r'n'b type work, and feel the need to add a P-bass to fit the style slightly better. Plus, let's be honest here, I've always fancied having one!

So, what are folks opinions on the best route to go for a good p-bass? I've been very impressed with the quality of all the CIJ re-issue stuff I've seen, but never too keen on the MIM gear (unless it's improved dramatically in the last couple of years). Not sure I think the MIA stuff justifies the extra price tag compared to the Japanese basses, and have no worries going down the 2nd-hand route if the right bass comes along.

Budget is probably in the £800 ball-park, although if the right thing comes along, there is room for manoeuvre, providing Mrs Simon. doesn't find out...

Thoughts and opinions welcome!

Cheers.

Edited by Simon.

The new MIAs are a return to form in my opinion, especially the P5s, they're great basses. I think though that the Japanese models are outstanding, and as you say, is an American model worth the extra cash? For what it's worth, I've owned/played loads of Precisions down the years, and my favourite one of all is the 200 quid early 90s Squier I now use. It's perfect ([i]for me[/i]).

I personally like the 08 USA standards (with maple frets) as they have a good build and comforbility let alone that classic pbass tones.
Got to say i actually love the string through on a pbass- never played one before and sounds so much fresher and clear than the norm'
Most people say go for the mex's as you save alot and not a great difference but i disagree like yourself.

Saying all that.... i do have a fender '51 pbass (CIJ) which fits most of the above but generaly looks and sounds slightly different.

Is there much difference in size specs with MIAs, CIJs and MIMs? if so, i'd try and see one for yourself before you buy from the internet.

Hope you find one you like =]

CIJ Precisions are better VFM than US and as a Jazz player you would probably appreciate the intermediate neck width of the 70s reissue. I have owned both and, with your budget, I would go MIA. The new ones are really good and typically go for £600-700 if second hand but in vgc (they also come with a very good hard case). I just sold a great condition 70RI CIJ for £400. If your budget was lower I would recommend a 70RI like the earlier poster said. You pays your money, you takes your choice!

Edited by Clarky

I wouldn't bother with a Fender. Go for a Sandberg P. Second hand they come in at about £650-£700 and are alot better than most Fenders. In fact, Legion is selling a PM4 on this very site and its an absolute beauty.

Dont commit to anything untill you have at least tried a Sandberg. Thats my advice.

>...but never too keen on the MIM gear...

Me too (being a big fan of Japanese gear - I've recently built myself a P based on a Japanese '83 reissue of a '57 neck and a new Warmoth body - you can see it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70330&hl=revival"]here[/url])

While i was noodling around a local store for info etc. I had the chance to get my hands on a MIM roadworn similar to this:

[url="http://www.fender.co.uk/products/search.php?partno=0131712303"]http://www.fender.co.uk/products/search.ph...rtno=0131712303[/url]

Okay, I haven't played loads of basses, but I know what I like and this MIM is hands down the nicest bass I've ever played. Effortless.

If there's one nearby, go and have a play on it. At the very least it'll put a smile on your face for the rest of the afternoon. It's certainly changed my perception of the MIM gear.

I've got a CIJ 62 Precision and i love it, it's the best bass i've owned so far - but i'm a lefty so there's not much choice.

If i could have another i'd get another 62 or as Clarky said, the 70s CIJ Precision - slightly narrower at the nut than your common or garden precision. Having said that, i was worried about the step up from Jazz to Precision necks as i have smaller hands. When i got the 62, i realised that it was the ideal size for me believe it or not!

I'd go CIJ all the way!

[quote name='simon1964' post='736364' date='Feb 5 2010, 04:14 PM']I've got one of the MIJ 70s reissue Ps. Brilliant bass, and personally I think you'd struggle to get a better Precision within your budget.[/quote]

I agree. Slimmer neck too so if you like your Jazz, this fits in nicely

[quote name='4000' post='736444' date='Feb 5 2010, 05:21 PM']The P I've liked the most is the MIM 50s Classic. Of course you may not feel the same. :)[/quote]

I agree with 4000 too. Despite your initial MIM views the Classic is a whole new league

Hi folks, thanks for all the replies and info - much appreciated.

I tried out a couple of new MIA Precisions over the weekend to get a feel for what the current models are like, and was very pleasantly surprised by them. I'm still not convinced they are value for money, but the neck size wasn't quite the monster experience I was expecting and the through-body stringing seemed to work quite well. The store I was in did have a 2nd hand, excellent condition 2008 model for a decent price, but it had a maple board, and I'm after a rosewood.

Clarky, simon1964 & BurritoBass - the CIJ 70s re-issue is pretty much what I've had my eye on, but not having played a P-bass in a long while, I wondered what the current range of choices was like. Thanks for the tip about the neck size as well, as that was something I wondered about.

There is a guy in Edinburgh who imports the CIJ Fenders, so I might see if I can pop along and try out a 70s RI. [url="http://www.mijfenders.com/index.htm"]MIJ Fenders[/url]. Has anyone any experience using these guys? I got my 75 Jazz RI from John at Far East Guitars without any hassle, so the idea of buying on-line isn't too scary.

Oh, and 0353203 - please don't tempt me with that gorgeous looking bass! I'm not sure my will power is up to resisting it! :)

Thanks again folks.