Why become a member? ×

Aguilar vs Bergantino vs Epifani

JackLondon

So I might be in the market for a new speaker(s) in 2-3 months. Budget wise if I sell my Compact I will have about £1000 to spend so I was thinking along those lines...

Aguilar GS212 x 2

or ....

Bergantino AE112 + AE210

or ....

Epifani UL115 + UL210 (UL310 if I stretch the budget)

I only heard the Bergs from the list and in the next couple of weeks I'll be making my way to the gallery to try out the Epis and Aggies but I was wondering about your experiences and views on those as users :) Any problems wth any of the above, customer support, warranty issues, build quality issues ? What would you choose and why ?

Cheers
Jack

All these cabs are good. I had 2 GS112's and loved the tone, but I found them too heavy for a one hand lift and I regretted selling them until I bought the AE112 and AE210 stack. This makes a fantastic sound. It's loud and punchy with a full focused bass that doesn't boom or get muddy. I've got an Epifani 410 and one of the bands asked me to use the Bergantinos instead! I'd go to Bass Direct and have a listen. But then again I probably wouldn't be selling a Compact if I had one!

I thought GS212's are 4 ohm so 2 would need a 2 ohm amp. Have you considered another Compact? I played 2 at the bass bash and they sounded huge!

They're all great solutions, but I think in all honesty you need to source them and try them.

I'd lean toward Berg, cos I like them so much.

I have had a really long bash (4 hours with many amps in GAK) on the Epi rig you list, and to be honest its a great sounding rig too.

I've owned all 3 makes - Aguilar GS112s, Bergantino 112s, an Epifani UL310 and a 410. I'm currently using two Aggies - a GS112 and a 112NT and I love 'em to bits. I don't know if it's my imagination but since I got the Aguilar AG500 head, they've been astounding me with their tone ever since. The two Bergies I had were also fantastic cabs with better mids than the Aggies, great build quality etc. The Epifani UL410 was monstrous - a fantastic cab with a huge sound and ridiculously light too but I think the cab that gave me the most pleasure was the UL310 - it ticked all the boxes, light loud, small, punchy, articulate etc.

Truth is, they're all good cabs - well made and they sound fantastic, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

[quote name='Veils' post='731418' date='Feb 1 2010, 10:15 AM']Very happy Aguilar user here too![/quote]
I use two GS2X12 4ohm cabs very very load nice warm sound actuatour varible tweeter gives you so many sounds as it is very sensitive takes a bit of fiddling to get the sound you want
removable castors and if you go for the aggies the make a good quality cover for the cabs not cheap though at about £80 for covers have a look at www.bassmerchant.com
had mine for a year now with no issues

Epifani UL112.

Try a couple of those - IMHO beats Aguilar for tonal range (and lighter) and less bright than Markbass.

I owned a couple of (rare) Ampeg single 12s and tested Aguilar, EBS and Markbass at the Bass Gallery before trying out the Epifanis - Epiphany indeed - knocked the others out of the frame.

I use them (through a Markbass R500 or F1) with a Musicman Stingray with EB Slinkys and a Warmoth P/J with roundwounds - handles both beautifully.

• 1 month later...

I spent many years trying to find a great lightweight setup.
I'm finally happy with my Markbass F500 and Bergantino AE112.
I've tried many cabs EBS, EA, Markbass, Schroder and Epifani.
The Bergantino is by far the best for me. So clear and focused from top to bottom.
I cannot recommend Bergantino enough. Amazing cab.
The Epifani UL112 was a close second.
I'm gonna get another Berg 1x12 or 2x10 for big gigs even though the ae112 is ample for most situations.

NOTE - I haven't used Aguilar, Barefaced, Tecamp, etc. So no comment on these.

Just my opinion :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='731325' date='Feb 1 2010, 08:09 AM']I've owned all 3 makes - Aguilar GS112s, Bergantino 112s, an Epifani UL310 and a 410. I'm currently using two Aggies - a GS112 and a 112NT and I love 'em to bits. I don't know if it's my imagination but since I got the Aguilar AG500 head, they've been astounding me with their tone ever since. The two Bergies I had were also fantastic cabs with better mids than the Aggies, great build quality etc. The Epifani UL410 was monstrous - a fantastic cab with a huge sound and ridiculously light too but I think the cab that gave me the most pleasure was the UL310 - it ticked all the boxes, light loud, small, punchy, articulate etc.

Truth is, they're all good cabs - well made and they sound fantastic, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.[/quote]

I'll second you on the Aggies with the AG500! I used to use a markbass little mark with them which I thought was great, then I got the AG500 due to needing the 2 channels. Since then the GS112's really have come into their own!

Cheers for all the replies guys! I'm still contemplating over the idea tbh! I've tried all the cabs I wanted and funnily enough the best of the lot was Aguilar GS412 which wasn't on my list but I've had a go and boy what a cab this is! I really feel that it would intimidate almost everyone by it's sheer volume! The only thing is the weight of the thing so I'm thinking 2x GS212 for the portability! It's about 150 quid more than the 412! I still have to sell my Ibanez BTB and my Compact and then save a bit to get there but I will get there! God I'm GASing over that aggie:D

I would highly recommend Bergantino cabs - I sold my Epifani UL210's and EA CXL112 cabs after I purchased my Berg HT112ER/EX112ER cabs. I tried the AE112 cabs but I would recommend you try the HT/EX combination before buying. The HT/EX combination is heavier but still very easy to carry and (IMHO) much better - more refined with the best/sweetest treble of any bass cab I have owned/tried.

Edited by alanbass1

I would agree with this sentiment. I currently run an Aguilar GS112 and Epifani UL210 and both are fantastic but I think the Epi edges it for a slightly better tone and is much lighter! Playing them both together makes for an interesting sound.

I heard some Berg stuff at Bass Direct and it did sound good but then so did the Genz Benz and Mark Bass heads. Once you get into this level of spend then I think you are going to struggle to find anything bad it will probably be that one just does it more for you than any other. You really need to go to as shop that has as many brands as possible that you are interested in and try them all out. I did just that at The Gallery and opted for an Aguilar head and Epi cab as on the day that just gave me the sound that I was looking for.

The Aguilar cab was bought because of the good things that I had heard about them on this forum and also because it is a smaller cab for smaller gigs so made some sense.

Hope you find the sound you like and buy the relevant cab in due course.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='731325' date='Feb 1 2010, 08:09 AM']I've owned all 3 makes - Aguilar GS112s, Bergantino 112s, an Epifani UL310 and a 410. I'm currently using two Aggies - a GS112 and a 112NT and I love 'em to bits. I don't know if it's my imagination but since I got the Aguilar AG500 head, they've been astounding me with their tone ever since. The two Bergies I had were also fantastic cabs with better mids than the Aggies, great build quality etc. The Epifani UL410 was monstrous - a fantastic cab with a huge sound and ridiculously light too but I think the cab that gave me the most pleasure was the UL310 - it ticked all the boxes, light loud, small, punchy, articulate etc.

Truth is, they're all good cabs - well made and they sound fantastic, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.[/quote]

I'm going to ressurect this so I cab get your opinions! Basically I didn't explain properly what I'm looking for from these cabs. I recently have not been happy with my sound, I'm looking for something very bright and sparkly, I think That to best describe this sound is to think of a brand new set of strings on your bass and sound of slap but with fingers if this makes sense and I'm actually wondering now if this is possible and if the cabs I'm looking at are capable of this? Any opinions?

Cheers
Jack

Not sure that is accurate re Berg AE series.

The ae410 has a definite slight peak around 1-2KHz, but the crossover and tweeter balance the highs just perfectly. There is plenty there but it is never edgy or unmusical.

If you want really hyped highs then EBS should be on your list IMO

Hmm .... This game of getting the [i]right[/i] cabs is so subjective... The only way to really do it, in my opinion, is to try out as much stuff as possible... with a familiar bass & head etc.. preferably live with a band, to really get the feel of what character punches through .... although the reality is this is very difficult to do... :)

My experience of the Berg AE112's is that the tweeters were the most 'musical' I have ever used.... crisp & bright but blending well with the speaker... the cabs made a very articulate 'hi-fi' sound .... but it lacked something for me... a little too clinical & a bit souless.

The Aggie GS112's suit me better... warmer, fatter.... work well in a live situation, [i]with a very loud drummer![/i].... I've stuck with them. Compared to the Bergs, I reckon I've sacrificed a little in the mid-range department.... Much prefer the overall sound though.

Only once tried some Epi cabs (4x10 + 1x15) at a gig ... used my head... didn't like them.. but I can't put my finger on why... guitarist in the band said, 'you sound all weak arsed through those, I can't feel the bass properly....' make of that what you will!

I reckon I will buy two 2x10's cabs at some point [i](maybe SWR golights?)[/i] for tonal variety....but I'm keeping the Aggies, there's something special about them.

It's all just my personal opinion though!

Edited by bottomfeed

more food for thought...agree it is all about what you want as opposed to the best..

Last gig gigged SWR 15 and 10's in a mini stack. Loved it, big and full sound that sat right in the mix and underpines the whole band.
Easy to sort out the bottom end freqs.

but ..the higher notes need some attention over the next few gigs as the basses and rig are a new addition and you take for granted the soundchecks you have done with tried and trusted equipment over the years.

I will keep this option but the real thing that rules it out long term is it is too big for the car.
I use a GS112 with the SWR 2x10 ( Neo ) in rehearsal but haven't had ther nerve to do so on a gig with our current drummer.

I am most likely to add another GS..and I expect the to be able to keep the bottom end I currently ..easily.. but I will have to really work on the mids for the higher string not to get swamped in full band throttle. Gtr, Keys and sometimes acoustic take up a lot of room soundwise..

Maybe.............
I'll go this route just to eliminate the GS from the equation which is why I think I will end up with AE12's in the end.
I can't see me losing the bottom end with AE... but since I am half way to a solution, maybe with the Ag GS, my quandry is to dump the GS112 now or later...

I have been back and forth over this..

Taken in isolation the GS can is great... but in my context...???
I agree that we are all just going to get out there and try them..trial and error.

None of the cabs will sound bad...but just whether they are right to for you..and there is only way and one person who can answer that..

So, today, I'll be looking for a GS112... OR..???

Agreed. The most expensive and apparent 'best' might not be for you.

I haven't heard a 112x2 or 212 in neo that was as full as ceramic. I still think there is a difference, and even jim berg said with his cabs the ceramics will go deeper and fuller. I've got the email somewhere.

Aguilar are fantastic. Berg are fantastic but they are very clear...if you don't want that more clinical tone...Aguilar might be for you.

Epifani are all about smooth and deep tones.