Why become a member? ×

Which preamp/DI pedal for tube-y goodness and grit?

Clarky

Frequently when gigging in London I will use the house amps for convenience (eg, when I have to go by tube on a work night) rather than my Mesa Walkabout. This means I sometimes have a tone thats way apart from what I am after, which ideally is a warm tube-y sound with a bit of overdrive. I am thinking of buying a preamp/DI pedal to bring with me to such gigs so I can dial-in my own tone without worrying too much about the house backline.

So in the opinion of the collective wisdom of BC which DI pedal would be best to fit this bill (I only need this as a tone/drive thing, don't need other bells and whistles)? I have had Sansamps in the past and they suck some of the mid tone away so I would probably be looking for something else. Other BC'ers have mentioned pedals by Aguilar (Tone Hammer), the MXR M80, Sadowsky outboard preamps, EBS etc.

Oh, and if it could be battery (rather than PSU) powered all the better

Thx in advance Clarky

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='722158' date='Jan 23 2010, 01:42 PM']Frequently when gigging in London I will use the house amps for convenience (eg, when I have to go by tube on a work night) rather than my Mesa Walkabout. This means I sometimes have a tone thats way apart from what I am after, which ideally is a warm tube-y sound with a bit of overdrive. I am thinking of buying a preamp/DI pedal to bring with me to such gigs so I can dial-in my own tone without worrying too much about the house backline.

So in the opinion of the collective wisdom of BC which DI pedal would be best to fit this bill (I only need this as a tone/drive thing, don't need other bells and whistles)? I have had Sansamps in the past and they suck some of the mid tone away so I would probably be looking for something else. Other BC'ers have mentioned pedals by Aguilar (Tone Hammer), the MXR M80, Sadowsky outboard preamps, EBS etc.

Thx in advance Clarky[/quote]

If you dont like the mid scoop of the sansamp i think you'll find the MXR in the same boat tone wise. I happen to love it, but it does remove mids!

Hartke VXL Bass Attack.

Not small, and not really good if you want two dirt tones because there's no level associated with the "Harmonics" function, BUT . . .

It has GREAT tube-drive tone, from warm & thick to really dirty, and it's always punchy, even more so when you kick in the "Shape" function.

I've had mine maybe three years and I've used it with an ME-50B & a DT-10, but I'm currently using just the DT-10 & VXL. I've always had glowing praise for my tone at every gig.

Definitely in the "I'd replace it immediately it if was damaged or stolen" category. Probably wouldn't even try any alternative products . . .

Mark

The Aguilar Tone Hammer is FANTASTIC!

Not only is it a dirt pedal and DI, but it also acts as an outboard eq so you can active your passive instruments so to speak, (should you wish).

Definitely give one a try if you can. Great mid control.

Most the punk/metal/hardcore bands ive asked or toured with used the Sansamp BDDI or Tone Hammer.

I have taken a look on the web at the various products mentioned so far and - while they all seem to deliver what I need - most have much greater functionality than I need TBH. If that is what is available then fine and I will try and decide which one to buy. However I was wondering if there is a simple plug-and-play option with perhaps little more than basic gain and tone controls (I don't want to play much with tone as I like the tone from my P basses) and an XLR output for the backline?

I spotted this DHA model for example which is very utilitarian but maybe does what I need? [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DHA-VT1-Std-Bass-overdrive-and-distortion-pedal_W0QQitemZ310194954458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item48390f60da"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DHA-VT1-Std-Bass-ove...=item48390f60da[/url] Has anyone tried one of these? Edit: just seen it needs an external power supply which is not ideal, I prefer a battery powered pedal for convenience.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='722247' date='Jan 23 2010, 03:41 PM']I have taken a look on the web at the various products mentioned so far and - while they all seem to deliver what I need - most have much greater functionality than I need TBH. If that is what is available then fine and I will try and decide which one to buy. However I was wondering if there is a simple plug-and-play option with perhaps little more than basic gain and tone controls (I don't want to play much with tone as I like the tone from my P basses) and an XLR output for the backline?

I spotted this DHA model for example which is very utilitarian but maybe does what I need? [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DHA-VT1-Std-Bass-overdrive-and-distortion-pedal_W0QQitemZ310194954458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item48390f60da"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DHA-VT1-Std-Bass-ove...=item48390f60da[/url] Has anyone tried one of these? Edit: just seen it needs an external power supply which is not ideal, I prefer a battery powered pedal for convenience.[/quote]

I bought one recently and I'm very very happy with it, taken it on tour and played through house amps and just sounds great, but haven't get it sounding really dirty yet ( I do need to take some more time to tweak things)

Just a note on the Tone Hammer

When you engage the drive ( i wish more pedals would use the word engage :) ) it acts as a boost so be weary of that but the TH is a great device and I got it initially as I didnt have an amp and would use it for my sound - the boost was the killer for me as I needed dirt too and it was too much a jump in the band context. Recorded its awesome with a great mid control as someone mentioned

I'd get one again if it appeared for the right price tho and use it for everything except dirt

[quote name='Clarky' post='722247' date='Jan 23 2010, 03:41 PM']I have taken a look on the web at the various products mentioned so far and - while they all seem to deliver what I need - most have much greater functionality than I need TBH. If that is what is available then fine and I will try and decide which one to buy. However I was wondering if there is a simple plug-and-play option with perhaps little more than basic gain and tone controls (I don't want to play much with tone as I like the tone from my P basses) and an XLR output for the backline?

I spotted this DHA model for example which is very utilitarian but maybe does what I need? [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DHA-VT1-Std-Bass-overdrive-and-distortion-pedal_W0QQitemZ310194954458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item48390f60da"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DHA-VT1-Std-Bass-ove...=item48390f60da[/url] Has anyone tried one of these? Edit: just seen it needs an external power supply which is not ideal, I prefer a battery powered pedal for convenience.[/quote]

I can comment on the other pedals, but my MXR-80 does the job for me.

If you want something cheap and cheerful though the Behringer BDI21 may do.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/behringer-bdi21-v-tone-bass--26905"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/behringer-bdi...one-bass--26905[/url]

I agree, the Sansamp BDDI does scoop the mids a little, but I compensate with the amp's EQ, or push the treble+presence to about 2 o'clockish, the blend to about 3 o'clockish and the drive at 5 o'clock for a fairly heavily over driven sound without losing too much bottom end. It's the best tubey/overdrive I've heard without carrying about a 35kg SVT-CL.

Also Clarky, that pedal doesnt actually have a DI out if im not mistaken! :)

The only other thing to consider is a pedal like that DHA one and a simple DI box for £20 or there abouts?

[quote name='Clarky' post='722189' date='Jan 23 2010, 02:17 PM']Thanks guys, so thats two votes for the MXR M80 so far. Anyone else beg to differ?

BTW, if the pedal was pretty small all the better (eg, not the programmable Sansamp BDDI which didn't fit in my gigbag with my other bits and pieces)[/quote]

I'll throw in my tuppence worth in support of the Sansamp BDDI. I've had the prgramable version a couple of years now,and perhaps it's taken me that long to really get the best out of it, but I think it's great - it's the one pedal I never gig without. It's possible to work around the rather annoying "fixed mid-range" system to get the eq you want (but it would have been much better IMHO if they'd simply provided a mid-range knob).

A couple of times I've used it without any backline at all - just DI from the Sansamp and used a house monitor. Certainly takes the hassle out of travelling to gigs on public transport.

I have not one but two MXR M80s :) LOVE IT!!! One on the board (always color engaged, no distortion as I use the T-Rex for that), the other for home studio practice (I use its distortion in that situation so I don't have to worry with more pedals).

I might part with one for the right amount of £££ so PM me if interested :rolleyes:

Bass Driver = lame.

If you don't mind waiting til the summer, the new programmable Sansamp VT Bass with DI should be out by then.

The VT blows the pants off the Sansamp BDDI IMO. It has a mid-control (in fact, the character knob works sort of like a high-mids control too), sounds more tubey and has a more natural sounding drive (again IMO as far as the latter two go).

And if you can't wait til summer? f*** it, just buy a regular VT Bass and seperate DI box (will probably still work out less, than the newer VT Bass will) :)

That's if you don't mind sounding like you're playing through an Ampeg of course.

Edited by redzombie

Thanks again for all the replies. One last thought - I vaguely recall someone telling me the Sansamp Para Driver DI differs from the BDDI in that it has a mid control and doesn't suck out the mids? Is this correct and has anyone tried one? From the website it appears to be more a jack-of-all trades pedal, not specifically for bass.

I think Tech 21 should have just made a VT bass that's the same layout as the BDDI!

The new deluxe is just overkill for what's basically a dirt pedal. I'd still like one but I'm guessing they are quite large, eg the same size as an amp.

I now have 4 versions of tube dirt, the Orange obviously wins, but the two pedals are very useful, and I will always enjoy the tone of the BDDI. Even the tubetone on the RH450 is really good, especially at getting a nice ampeg-ish warmth and dirt.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='723269' date='Jan 24 2010, 04:37 PM']I think Tech 21 should have just made a VT bass that's the same layout as the BDDI!

The new deluxe is just overkill for what's basically a dirt pedal. I'd still like one but I'm guessing they are quite large, eg the same size as an amp.[/quote]

Agreed, the new ones I think are nearly 3 times the length of a regular VT or BDDI box.

Personally, I'd like a VT Bass with just a DI or at the very most just the 3 preset switches and DI (like the progammable BDDI, though these days, I'm wondering if I'd even need those). All that effects loop malarky and the double input crap is just stuff I really can't see myself using.

It is possible to mod the regular VT with a DI, but personally I'd rather just buy a seprate DI box for the versitility and less arsing around with drilling and soldering.

+1 on the MXR. Dunno how I ever did without it, probably the most useful pedal I ever bought.
I did have a Tonehammer but swapped it for the reason that Krispn mentioned, that there isn't a volume control on the drive channel, so for me at least you could only ever set it at a really low gain level or else there'd be a massive unwanted boost. It sounded good but it was this really simple flaw that ruined it for me.
The MXR has got a mid control on it too so yer Mid range dosnt get lost. Can't recommend it enough...

I have one of these, simple and a nice valve tone but no DI out so probably not what you are looking for.

Hi,

Just my tuppence worth. Have used sansamp pedal, trace elliot v-type pre-amp( good, but not battery powered ), SWR Grand prix preamp (ditto), but have stopped looking after getting my EBS Microbass preamp. Great for DI, or, when using an amp, I now use the line input (ignore the amps pre). Give one a try, might just be what you're lookin for.

[quote name='Clarky' post='722189' date='Jan 23 2010, 02:17 PM']Thanks guys, so thats two votes for the MXR M80 so far. Anyone else beg to differ?

BTW, if the pedal was pretty small all the better (eg, not the programmable Sansamp BDDI which didn't fit in my gigbag with my other bits and pieces)[/quote]

Ive just started using my Behrigner BDI21 at gigs and im really impressed with it. I know not many people like Behringer but for £25 its a good cheap alternative to the Sansamp and by all accounts pretty close, tone wise.

Your welcome to borrow it for a few gigs if you want to try it out.

Like you i wanted something simple but it does seem all these sort of units have more than i would ever use. Saying that, i guess its nice to have some extra features, just in case.

Edited by dave_bass5