Why become a member? ×

whats basschats members fave pickup/preamp combination

4 candles

Howdy,

Appologies for going over old ground and apologies if this is in the wrong place.

looking for some inspiration, still have not found my sound.

the closest I have come to my ultimate sound is a sadowsky preamp with bartalloni pickups.(jazz style bass)

Is there a better combination out there? would love some feedback

regards

Mark

[quote name='4 candles' post='717132' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:04 PM']Howdy,

Appologies for going over old ground and apologies if this is in the wrong place.

looking for some inspiration, still have not found my sound.

the closest I have come to my ultimate sound is a sadowsky preamp with bartalloni pickups.(jazz style bass)

Is there a better combination out there? would love some feedback

regards

Mark[/quote]
What does your ultimate sound sound like?

[quote name='jonthebass' post='717294' date='Jan 18 2010, 10:52 PM']My P bass with a SD Qtr. Pounder pickup and SD Jazz Hot Stack bridge unit sounds great through my Sadowsky pre amp pedal and does it for me (at the mo!)[/quote]

I always found the SD to be too whumpy when I had my old '79. I put a Wizard in and it was much more controllable.

Presently the combination of a Geddy Lee signature (so I guess stock Fender units) and the Sansamp BDDI is kind of lovely...dirt by the sackload and very controllable. Couldn't recommend the pedal more.
P

Wizard GEM 'kiwi specials' with coil splits and Noll 3 band parametric eq.

Crispy, warm and toit loike a toiger...LOADS of usable sounds all very fat and funky and a near infinite amount of tonal control. If I have two inside coils on for a stingray-type sound, I can tweak the parametric eq to make that a tad more convincing.

The pickups do need to be carefully matched to the character of the bass though. A crap sound doesn't necessarily mean crap pickups but more a bad choice of pickups.

Loving G&L MFDs + G&L preamp at the moment. Just had the series/parallel switch replaced with a 3 way for series/single (inner coils)/parallel for even more versatility. It's all about the pickups really, the preamp is a line amp, and apart from the "treble boost" option does little more than that.

I’ve heard a very nice Delano pickup just before Christmas and a couple of players I know rave over their Fralin pickups, but I don't really know what's out there these days. As a very long term Bartolini user though (2 out of 3 basses) I'm very happy with my sound.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='717159' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:20 PM']What does your ultimate sound sound like?[/quote]

I bet it's warm and growly and sparkly and stuff.

I haven't tried that many pickups because it seems I'm not as good as telling what's so sh*t about my current pickups as the rest of you. Or maybe I just got lucky and bought basses that came with perfectly acceptable pickups - assuming they exist but only get sold to people who aren't on Basschat. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='717741' date='Jan 19 2010, 12:46 PM']I bet it's warm and growly and sparkly and stuff.

I haven't tried that many pickups because it seems I'm not as good as telling what's so sh*t about my current pickups as the rest of you. Or maybe I just got lucky and bought basses that came with perfectly acceptable pickups - assuming they exist but only get sold to people who aren't on Basschat. :)[/quote]
Tell me about it, ignorance is bliss eh? :rolleyes:

Shed "hot n dangerous" (cocco specials) with standard Jazz passive electronics give me all the bite and balls I need. Sans amp BDDI provides extra drive and 8 10s create the wall of noise I like to refer to as "the delicate sound of thunder". I like its plug and play simplicity. I dont think this will ever change from my recording tone. Depending on my mood my Trace Elliot T-bass or my 2eq 'ray might take the place of my Jazz. I have too many basses....