Why become a member? ×

Two 2x10s or one 4x10

BTGAndy

I'm going for a lighter rig and I wish to replace my Goliath III and Son of Bertha (Which I very rarely use) with a pair of golight 2x10s or a 4 ohm golight 4x10. I was wondering if anyone has had much experience with two 2x10s and whether they sound a lot like one 4x10. The 4x10 is enough for me not to be bothered about getting another 15" cab.

Hello!

Well, it depends on the cabs, I suppose.

I had a Berg HS410, which is an amazing cab... but I switched to 2 HS210's after Jim Bergantino said there wasn't a lot in it tonally.

The reason being...

- I have the obvious modularity of having two cabs instead of one
- I can stack them end-on-end which gives a smaller footprint on stage and lifts the top cab right up towards ear level
- When I do have to carry carry them, they're a fairly easy one-man lift. The 4x10 was a no-no. (but I pull them both on a trolley, usually)

The downsides..

- More expensive (but I bought them used so it wasn't too bad)
- Potentially two trips for the load-in/out (but the trolley usually makes this a moot point)

2 x 210 wins for me!

[quote name='BTGAndy' post='712563' date='Jan 14 2010, 02:12 PM']I don't want to end up having a weedy sounding rig.[/quote]
Definitley not in my case!

Actually, the two 210 boxes combined have a larger volume than the single 410, so they're acually a bit fuller around the bottom end. And having one cab at ear level makes a hell of a difference. And there's some technical gubbins about having the drivers in a vertical array, too.. but I'll leave that to someone who knows what it's all about.

If it's a similar situation with the GoLights, I wouldn't think twice.

And in the other corner :)

I had the opportunity to go for two Berg ae210s or one ae410. I ended up going for a single 410 since space for transport and storage are major issues for me, and when you get down to it the ae410 is a one man lift (for the non-decrepit amongst us - hey I can lift it so that has to be true :rolleyes:). The hs410 isnt even close to a one man lift for me.

I do think the vertical stack idea is superb, but I cant help but worry about stability (which with the weight of HS210s may be moot, it isnt with ae210s IMO), so I'm looking for a small mixer stand to lift the ae410 up a bit. As for a modular rig, well I can see it being useful for people who play some very small venues, but I'd rather have tha ability to go way too loud and not than turn up with too little and break stuff. So I would always end up taking both anyway, 'to be on the safe side'.

Tonally there are very minor differences in the ae series, nothing to get too hung up about, but I couldnt say if that holds true for the SWR stuff. I spent a good couple of hours A/B'ing the BErg stuff to get to that conclusion, at extreme volumes (thanks to Mark at BassDirect). Excellent afternoon that was! I have no doubt that WoT's rig sounds absolutely superb, because mine does :lol:

The only other reason I plumped for the 410 was that its front ported. Now I know its not supposed to make any difference, but I sometimes have to put my cab as close to the back wall as possible, and although that wont block off the port, it still just seems a tad counter intuitive. But I havent measured it so that could be cobblers :lol:

So really my advice is try them both and work out what your needs are first in terms of transport/storage/price/tone etc etc and then make the right decision for you.

Fairy nuff! :)

The modularity works for me, 'cos I sometimes do gigs with a big FOH and a quiet stage volume, and sometimes I'm just too lazy to carry two. ha ha.

[quote name='51m0n' post='712581' date='Jan 14 2010, 02:20 PM']The only other reason I plumped for the 410 was that its front ported. Now I know its not supposed to make any difference, but I sometimes have to put my cab as close to the back wall as possible, and although that wont block off the port, it still just seems a tad counter intuitive. But I havent measured it so that could be cobblers :rolleyes:[/quote]

I had to look twice and check the Berg site when I read that... I didn't know the AE210s were rear-ported! The HS210s are front-ported.

I know what you mean about rear ports... rightly or wrongly I feel the same way.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='712595' date='Jan 14 2010, 02:27 PM']Fairy nuff! :)

The modularity works for me, 'cos I sometimes do gigs with a big FOH and a quiet stage volume, and sometimes I'm just too lazy to carry two. ha ha.

I had to look twice and check the Berg site when I read that... I didn't know the AE210s were rear-ported! The HS210s are front-ported.

I know what you mean about rear ports... rightly or wrongly I feel the same way.[/quote]

See, we agree on everything, we must be right :rolleyes:

2 2x10's for me but I wouldn't stack them vertically...it just looks so wrong.

Not got a problem with NEO's although I use them in Goliath Jnr cabs, so not sure what makesd the Golight a light cab. If only the speakers then fine by me. Not a fan of light-light though...I think you need a substantial cab, IMV.

I also like the idea of rear ported as the Goliath ll was a good cab in this regard. That had HUGE bass,
But front or rear wouldn't be the deal breaker on paper, for me.

The golights are front ported, they've taken the goliath series and made everything lighter that they could. So neo magnets (same speakers) lighter wood and aluminium grills, handles and crossover assembly. They weigh 17.2kg according to the website.

[quote name='BTGAndy' post='713431' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:31 AM']The golights are front ported, they've taken the goliath series and made everything lighter that they could. So neo magnets (same speakers) lighter wood and aluminium grills, handles and crossover assembly. They weigh 17.2kg according to the website.[/quote]

ok.... My NEO goli jnr lll feels very light to me but haven't weighed it... it is easily a one handed carry. I guess a tad over 40lbs but like I say, just not a weight issue.
My other older Goli jnr is about the same. Both cabs were upgraded because of speaker problems otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.
I say upgraded because in this case, I think the delta 2510's are better speakers in all regards than the originals, certainly in a 2x10 box..or specifically these boxes.

Edited by JTUK

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BTGAndy' post='723795' date='Jan 25 2010, 07:26 AM']I've ignored all the advice and gone for a 2x10 and a 1x15! Thank's for the input guys =)[/quote]

One of the funniest posts I've read for ages and up there with some of my decision making of late!

C

Aye, I'm a bit of a SWR fanboy. I shall do some comparisons when I get the Golights, that ought to be the end of February. By all accounts the Golights sound almost identical to the standard cabs, some differences in the mids I gather.

• 3 years later...

As a humorous and cautionary aside to this tale, I find myself ordering a second Golight 2x10 today after having sold the 1x15 a while back because of its relative bulk compared to the 2x10. I'd forgotten this thread was here and I rather wish I'd paid greater heed to the advice given in hindsight! I love the sound of the 2x10 but I just need more volume, so double the cabs will give me that. Closure!

Indeedy.... my 2x210's sound monstrous and punchy at the same time.

I also try to run quality ..IMO... 2x112's and they come up short.

I still need a 2x112 rig for the compactness of it... but I still need to find the right cabs.
Having them referenced against 2x210's isn't a good idea, as this make the 'shortfall' apparent, IME.

True, if you lie the 2x10s sound but need more buying the same cab will give you the same sound but more of it.
If I came to the party sooner I would hve said 2 2x10s over a single 410, for a whole load of reasons but now I use single 410 anyway. Just need something to get it in the air at gigs (ear height)