Why become a member? ×

stick on L.E.D's

hagguy

hi been looking for some advice on led lights for the side of my new sandberg
but cant deceide which ones to try. i know they look a bit flash but seem very useful
the two kinds i've found are fret lord optix and fretfx both american made but quite wide
apart cash wise but the only info from users on the websites. but they are hardley going to put a bad
review there. the main thing i'd like to know is if they are very noticable when playing any advice would be useful

thanks ian

I use Fret FX glowdotz on My Fender (and real LED's on my Shuker and my -ariving soon- Wood and Tronics.) The glowdotz are OK and glow for a bit on a totally dark stage (which is when you really need them) They are large white dots when not glowing so they make it easier to see the side markers anyway. Fender ones are tiny. I can just about feel them but they are not intrusive.

Side LED are great. I love 'em to bits.
Front LED's are for serious showmen only ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='710318' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:42 PM']Side LED are great. I love 'em to bits.
Front LED's are for serious showmen only ...[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I always worried that if I had front LEDs someone would ask me to do a 'Mark King'.....ugggh

[quote name='Delberthot' post='710295' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:28 PM']fretfx are the way forward. the other ones aren't meant to be very good.

I should receive my set from fretfx in the next week or two for my bass.[/quote]

let me know if they are any good? you get rid of your trace combo yet?

[quote name='pal1972' post='710438' date='Jan 12 2010, 07:24 PM']i got a set of the fretfx side LED's a couple of years ago for my warwick, I dont use them very often i have to say, but theyre great!!!![/quote]

can you feel the wire that holds the led's thats my main concern tbh
dont want to fit them and rip them off cos the wire is bugging me.
how much did you pay including postage, last time i got stuff from the states
i got hammered with import tax

IIRC they cost me aout £70 all in - but that was a couple of years ago now! - and i noticed their prices have increased a bit since then. I personally can't feel them, but i guess thats just down to the way i play! I guess some people may feel them depending on playing styles.? BTW I got mine when they had a double AAA battery box and 3 way switch you they could be dim/off/bright, and the box is a lot bogger than the battery thingy they have on them now!

There's a place in Orpington that installs LEDs, as an alternative to SimS - they're a fair bit cheaper than SimS, and I've heard their installation technique is just as clean. Might be worth a look.

[url="http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/"]http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/[/url]

I'm considering a punt on the [url="http://www.fretlord.com/fretoptix.htm"]FretLord fibre optics[/url] for my new Lace Helix, which has tiny side-dots & no front markers. Looks like they'll come in at about £35 for the set plus a second LED module (for a different colour) - including delivery & import tax. Not too much cash wasted if they turn out to be guff.

Jon.

[quote name='Russ' post='710487' date='Jan 12 2010, 08:02 PM']There's a place in Orpington that installs LEDs, as an alternative to SimS - they're a fair bit cheaper than SimS, and I've heard their installation technique is just as clean. Might be worth a look.

[url="http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/"]http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

had a look at they're stuff as well very impressive
price are ok but think i'll hang off see if the sandbergs a keeper before
putting more money into it. saying that i got it for a bargain £425 so
a little improvment would probably make me like it more

cheers for the link btw

[quote name='Bassassin' post='710540' date='Jan 12 2010, 08:36 PM']I'm considering a punt on the [url="http://www.fretlord.com/fretoptix.htm"]FretLord fibre optics[/url] for my new Lace Helix, which has tiny side-dots & no front markers. Looks like they'll come in at about £35 for the set plus a second LED module (for a different colour) - including delivery & import tax. Not too much cash wasted if they turn out to be guff.

Jon.[/quote]

Jon

I`ve ordered a blue set from the above guys for £29.16, plus the inport tax of course. Thought the other ones were too expensive, around £90 to take a chance on something that might just be a fad. Going to stick them on my P bass. As soon as I get them on, I`ll post piccys.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='711146' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:03 PM']Jon

I`ve ordered a blue set from the above guys for £29.16, plus the inport tax of course. Thought the other ones were too expensive, around £90 to take a chance on something that might just be a fad. Going to stick them on my P bass. As soon as I get them on, I`ll post piccys.

Jez[/quote]
Cool - maybe I should hang fire & see what yours are like!

Nah - think I'll just buy 'em anyway!

J.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='owen' post='1088701' date='Jan 13 2011, 10:38 PM']Any further thoughts on the FretLord stuff? How big is the battery pod thang?

TIA[/quote]
Got a set last christmas, and they ended up in the bin! :) The fixing tape was thick and very non-sticky, and the light only shows up on the darkest of stages. In normal light, you can hardly see that they are switched on. I actually ripped them off half-way through the first set, because the tape got in the way of my fingers, for very little benefit, and just kept the Battery Pod as a pretty torch. :)

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1088725' date='Jan 13 2011, 11:09 PM']Got a set last christmas, and they ended up in the bin! :) The fixing tape was thick and very non-sticky, and the light only shows up on the darkest of stages. In normal light, you can hardly see that they are switched on. I actually ripped them off half-way through the first set, because the tape got in the way of my fingers, for very little benefit, and just kept the Battery Pod as a pretty torch. :)[/quote]

I used the stuff on my Spector and it was great for dark stages. I do agree that the tape which was supplied was rubbish so I ended up using some 'ultra clear' sellotape which was much less intrusive and more 'sticky'. The neck on the Spector was a gloss finish so the tape came off with no nasty marks when I sold the bass and I am planning on re-fitting to my PJ Special shortly.

The battery pod is overall slightly bigger than a £1 coin in both diameter and thickness and dissapeared quite nicely velcroed to the back of the headstock.

All in all reasonable for the money I guess.

Pete

[quote name='owen' post='1088701' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:38 PM']Any further thoughts on the FretLord stuff? How big is the battery pod thang?

TIA[/quote]
It's junk, basically a piece of fishing line with nicks in it and an LED at one end. You stick it to the neck with clear tape. Fretfx is a useable product, I found fretlord to be more of a scam. It's so cheap many people will try it and few will complain. Well, I'll complain :)

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1090053' date='Jan 15 2011, 12:35 AM']It's junk, basically a piece of fishing line with nicks in it and an LED at one end. You stick it to the neck with clear tape. Fretfx is a useable product, I found fretlord to be more of a scam. It's so cheap many people will try it and few will complain. Well, I'll complain :)[/quote]

I think that what their hoping for. No one likes to look like a dick.