Why become a member? ×

The Death of the Jam

Happy Jack

I've just received a text from Ray the List to tell me that the Red Lion in Twickenham is closing (apparently forever - sold [i]without [/i]a licence) after this Sunday. So there went the Sunday afternoon jam session that has run there for many years.

Two days ago, Ray texted me to say that the Coach & Horses jam in Isleworth will not be continued in 2010.

Just before Xmas, Chris B posted here to announce the last-ever jam at the White Horse in Kingston.

2009 also saw the end of the Drayton jam in Ealing (formerly the Kings Head jam in Acton) and the Cardinal Wolsey at Hampton Court.

WTF is happening?

Last spring I could play at a different jam every night (except Friday, for some reason), and on two nights I could play at one jam then move on to another with a later licence and play there.

This spring it looks like I can play at the Tune Inn in Acton and ... erm ... well, that's it unless I fancy driving out to Ruislip or right into the West End.

:)

Another sign of the times, I think. Over the past year, two jam nights in my town have stopped, simply because the bar owners don't want to have to pay out money (or give free beer on some occasions) on nights that a crowd isn't guaranteed. The thing about most jam nights is that they eventually turn into the same house band playing the same set, which owners again aren't particularly fond of when they can book a different band every weekend for the same price.

Sad to see them go, but I'm sure there are still a lot of successful ones running around the country - maybe not on our doorsteps though!

Sad times. I was gonna go and try to get a gig at the Red Lion at the weekend. No need to now.
Strange pub,was a Filthy Mac pub for a bit. It's hard enough to find places as it is.

The coach and Horses, is that closing too?? I find the guvnor (Richard) to be more interested in
making a few bob,rather than look after the bands .
(ie ,he'll charge £5.00 admittance fee wether ther's 2 or 22 people watching)

Looks like we may be reverting to playing with ourselves ,if ther's nowhere for us :)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='704585' date='Jan 7 2010, 06:46 PM']Sad times. I was gonna go and try to get a gig at the Red Lion at the weekend. No need to now.
Strange pub,was a Filthy Mac pub for a bit. It's hard enough to find places as it is.

The coach and Horses, is that closing too?? I find the guvnor (Richard) to be more interested in
making a few bob,rather than look after the bands .
(ie ,he'll charge £5.00 admittance fee wether ther's 2 or 22 people watching)

Looks like we may be reverting to playing with ourselves ,if ther's nowhere for us :)[/quote]

Slightly similar down my way.

The nigh-on 10 year run of the Tuesday jam at the Forest Hill Hotel in Stanstead Road SE23 is under notice - Punch Taverns (spit!) have sold it to a property developer, so it's just a matter of time. We're hopeful that we can relocate it to somewhere local, but... who knows?

Still got The Cherry Tree at Norwood Junction on everey other Sunday - trouble is I can never remember which is "the other Sunday"!

And of course... for anyone out east... [url="http://www.coachandhorsesbluesjam.com/home.shtml"]The Coach & Horses[/url] is still going strong & coming up for its first anniversary,

Pete.

[quote name='obbm' post='705169' date='Jan 8 2010, 09:37 AM']If you fancy a trip out into the provinces Jack there are still quite a few in West Surrey.

Details [url="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?v=info&gid=5701269558"]here[/url][/quote]

Thanks Dave, but I have to log in to Facebook to see that and I just don't DO Facebook. :)

Here you go Jack:

All jam nights start about 9pm unless stated (get there early to ensure you get to play):

WEEKLY:

Sunday

- Red Lion, Twickenham, TW1 4BN from 5pm
Details: www.myspace.com/theredliontwickenham

- Cricketers, Rowtown, KT15 1EY from 8.30pm

- Swan, Arborfield, RG2 9PQ from 7.30pm Details: www.davidesp.com/theswan/goto/index

- Star, Bentworth, GU34 5RB Details: www.star-inn.com/jam

Monday

- Jam Pact, Elm Tree, Surbiton, KT6 4NQ from 8.30pm
Details: www.jam-pact.com
100 metres from Surbiton railway station.

Tuesday

- Old Ford, North Camp, GU12 5QA (Run by John Moline)
Right next to North Camp railway station.

Wednesday

- Camphill Club, West Byfleet, KT14 6EF from 8.30pm
(Usually Wednesdays; check before travelling!)

- Row Barge, Guildford, GU1 1LW from 7.30pm

Thursday

- Lion Brewey, Ash, GU12 6BT
Details: www.myspace.com/lionbreweryjam
Ash railway station 0.2 miles away

- Rising Sun, Slough, SL1 2EJ
Details: www.risingsunslough.co.uk
Slough railway station 0.3 miles away

MONTHLY (first day of the month unless otherwise stated):

First Monday

- Knaphill WMC, Woking, GU21 2PN from 8.30pm

- Windsor Castle, Carshalton, SM5 3PT (Run by Robin Bibi) Details: www.robinbibiband.co.uk

First Tuesday

- Scratchers, Three Lions, Farncombe, GU7 3HR
Details: www.thethreelions.net
Farncombe railway station 0.4 miles away

Second Wednesday

- Elm Tree, Weybourne, GU9 9ES from 8.30pm

Friday - first or second, it depends!

- Basingstoke Blues Club, Moose Centre, RG21 7QU from 7.30pm (first or second Friday, it depends! Check before travelling!) Details: www.basingstokebluesclub.co.uk

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='704638' date='Jan 7 2010, 07:23 PM']Slightly similar down my way.

The nigh-on 10 year run of the Tuesday jam at the Forest Hill Hotel in Stanstead Road SE23 is under notice - Punch Taverns (spit!) have sold it to a property developer, so it's just a matter of time. We're hopeful that we can relocate it to somewhere local, but... who knows?

Still got The Cherry Tree at Norwood Junction on everey other Sunday - trouble is I can never remember which is "the other Sunday"!

And of course... for anyone out east... [url="http://www.coachandhorsesbluesjam.com/home.shtml"]The Coach & Horses[/url] is still going strong & coming up for its first anniversary,

Pete.[/quote]

Doesnt the Railway Inn in Bromley have jam nights as well

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='705192' date='Jan 8 2010, 09:59 AM']The Red Lion is going to be a Tesco Metro. Pub shut last night. Boooo.

This is why our gig on the 21st is a moveable feast at the moment.

Might now be on at the Twickenham Tup?[/quote]

There was talk of a Tesco Metro,at the petrol staton up the road from there a few years back .

oh well......

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='706117' date='Jan 8 2010, 10:54 PM']I've been in a few conversations with various people about the pub situation.
We generally thought about three things that ruined it for us:
Recession
No smoking
over£3.00 a pint .

What do you think?[/quote]

plus, if I'm reading the OP correctly, people expecting to get paid for a Jam!

I play quite a bit of folk music as well, and sessions (the folk equivalent of jams) are never paid - people go along because its good fun, to swap tunes etc. If you're lucky and the landlord perceives that you've brought extra business to the pub in yourselves and any people come to listen, then you might get a free pint or two.