Why become a member? ×

1 in 1 Out And An Argument No Doubt!!

J3ster

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='703356' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:53 PM']+
Roger Waters - supportive playing makes Pink Floyd's songs sound great. Understated, and no-one [i]really[/i] wants to listen to that poppity poppity sh1t.

-
Jaco Pastorius - almost all of his music has bored me and not connected with me in any way.[/quote]

I'm sure I read somewhere that Roger Waters didn't really like playing bass & David Gilmour actually laid down the basslines in the studio.

Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm sure someone will...............

G.

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='703374' date='Jan 6 2010, 08:04 PM']- Paul McCartney (sorry excuse for a bass player, sorry)[/quote]
Probably because he's really a guitarist.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='703375' date='Jan 6 2010, 08:06 PM']Underrated as a bass player and has his own (large) sofa:

[/quote]
:rolleyes: :lol:
Plenty of room for BCers on that baby!
Got a few bottles of vino, customers gave me at Chrimbo. As I don't drink I'll bring 'em around for anyone who wants them :)

[quote name='Faithless' post='703401' date='Jan 6 2010, 08:25 PM']I'll check this thread each half-hour :)

Childish comments about Vic do the trick for me :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'm surprised you even understood the comments.............. Oh wait!!! You didn't

Underrated = [url="http://www.stevedigiorgio.com/"]http://www.stevedigiorgio.com/[/url] Pioneered the fretless bass in a genre which until then relied on its fretted brother.

Overrated = John Entwistle Possibly.. IMO. Perhaps. Because.... Well he does nothing for me..

Wombling free...

Edited by Dandelion

I have to agree with the O.P and say that Wooten is totally over rated. Bit of a one trick pony IMO.Seen him with Bella Fleck last November in Uni and was not impressed. Under rated IMO is Pat Padger (yes I'm a sad git who listens to Extreme :snob: say what you will!). Check out the bassline for Tradgic Comic off Three Sides To Every Story. Genius.

Under rated= Bassists from floppy haircut pop, sorry, poop guitar bands (yeah its so hard to go boom boom boom in time, jog on biff)
Victor Wootens deep and transcending lyrics ("my names Vic and I'm gonna show you a trick"- sheer poetry for the soul)
Larry hartke's haircut

Over rated= Old Fenders in oh-so super rare colours. Yeah I'll happily pay whatever for a faded porridge-beige precision.
Larry hartke's 'tache. Come on man, get a handlebar or shave that twitter tickler off. (or perhaps notcher tickler, preference's depending.)

Not wishing to pick a fight with the OP...

But, "Save a prayer"!!! - in the verse - Why did John Taylor play a Maj 3rd over a minor chord? It's plain wrong, and sounds horrible. Wince every time I hear it. :)

Don't really think in terms of "overrated" or "underrated".

And don't really have any one [i]favourite[/i] player, although I was a big Jaco and (to a lesser degree) Stanley Clarke fan in the 70s.

I think there's more to be said about Victor Wooten's playing/musicianship when listening to him in the context of his career as both a sideman and as a solo artist. All the youtube clips tend to show is the flash double-thumbing stuff, but a lot of his work, particularly on the early Flecktones albums is beautiful, in my opinion. His fingerstyle lines alone display a mastery of the instrument and of the music he plays.

Under-rated: Simon Gallup. Evidence:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8JRfnP6NTI"]Jumping Someone Else's Train[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFkwrKM482Q"]Lovesong[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hdytcAUjI"]Close To Me[/url]

Over-rated: I'm not going to pick one. It was going to be Squarepusher, but I actually think he's dead good, I just don't like most of what he does. I'm happy to concede he's an amazing musician though, and in a way I admire him for continuing to do music I don't like even though I don't like it. :)

[quote name='YouMa' post='703275' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:03 PM']I think a lot of people slag off the technique experts saying they have no soul etc purely because they cant and will never reach that standard of bass playing.[/quote]

I don't. I'm content that I'm no virtuoso and never will be, but I still don't like listening to Vic. I don't like his tone, and I don't like most of what he plays, that's all there is to it. Actually I'm not convinced that anybody can make bass guitar sound nice when it's played fast - all you get is attack.

[quote name='YouMa' post='703275' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:03 PM']Its people like wooten who push boundarys for the bass so its not just stuck at the back being boring.[/quote]

I disagree with that too. The people who push the boundaries for the rest of us are the ones who make the bass a prominent part of a popular record, the ones who capture the imagination of the public with their playing, rather than the attuned ears of other bass players.

[quote name='SteveK' post='703633' date='Jan 6 2010, 11:00 PM']"Save a prayer"!!! - in the verse - Why did John Taylor play a Maj 3rd over a minor chord? It's plain wrong, and sounds horrible. Wince every time I hear it. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I think that's probably the best note he ever played. I don't really understand why it sounds so good but I love it, it gives the song a more interesting character than it otherwise would have. I think it's a good example of what I was saying above, of a bass player who's put something different into a hit song and as a result given bass players more confidence to do the same.

[quote]I think that's probably the best note he ever played.[/quote]
I wouldn't argue that :)

I'm reminded of a record that I played on in 1981, which, incidentally, made number 6 (IIRC) in t'charts. There's a line in the chorus, octaves played from root, Maj 3rd, 5th. One time I accidentally played a b5. Went back in to the control room to apologize for my goof, and [i]could I do it again[/i]. Producer said it was perfect (?) and I should do it again, and [i]this time[/i] play the b5 every time...
Who was I to argue with Tony Visconti.

[quote name='SteveK' post='703850' date='Jan 7 2010, 09:45 AM']I wouldn't argue that :)

I'm reminded of a record that I played on in 1981, which, incidentally, made number 6 (IIRC) in t'charts. There's a line in the chorus, octaves played from root, Maj 3rd, 5th. One time I accidentally played a b5. Went back in to the control room to apologize for my goof, and [i]could I do it again[/i]. Producer said it was perfect (?) and I should do it again, and [i]this time[/i] play the b5 every time...
Who was I to argue with Tony Visconti.[/quote]

I love those stories - some of my best mistakes were done on purpose :-)

[quote name='SteveK' post='703850' date='Jan 7 2010, 09:45 AM']I wouldn't argue that :)

Who was I to argue with Tony Visconti.[/quote]
Steve, you should reveal what the song was so we can decide whether we agree with Visconti. Also, we could ask John Taylor what he thought of it. :rolleyes:

This is just another one of those threads where people list their favourite music and slag off the music they don't like. I mean...y'know, I can't stand The Who and their music but I wouldn't call Entwistle an 'overated' bassist... because he plays [i]Who music[/i] rather well.

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' post='703877' date='Jan 7 2010, 10:11 AM']This is just another one of those threads where people list their favourite music and slag off the music they don't like. I mean...y'know, I can't stand The Who and their music but I wouldn't call Entwistle an 'overated' bassist... because he plays [i]Who music[/i] rather well.[/quote]
Amen to the prayer of sense

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Spoombung' post='703877' date='Jan 7 2010, 10:11 AM']This is just another one of those threads where people list their favourite music and slag off the music they don't like. I mean...y'know, I can't stand The Who and their music but I wouldn't call Entwistle an 'overated' bassist... because he plays [i]Who music[/i] rather well.[/quote]

It was never meant to be like that and I'm not so sure it is. After all I am certainly not the biggest Duran fan to walk the earth.. Nor do I hate Victor the patience and time put in to learning the technique's he has must be immence and for that he deserves credit- just not so much.

I think Overated and Underated comes from public perception and acknowledgement.

I played with a Rhythum guitarist for a while called Ray Tovey - He constantly amazed me and I have NEVER EVER played with a Better drummer than Peter Gofffin who I do not think even plays anymore.. But no-one else will have heard of them some of the very best musicians are undiscovered.

It was just to get objective views on those perceptions and maybe also find some Bassists I had missed out on myself.

Underrated:

Captain Birdseye, his crumb coated haddock fillets really are amazing.

Overrated:

The Wombles. They're useless, I've been to Wimbledon, and it's covered in empty beer cans and crisp packets.

Edited by Rayman

[quote name='J3ster' post='703889' date='Jan 7 2010, 10:25 AM']It was never meant to be like that and I'm not so sure it is. After all I am certainly not the biggest Duran fan to walk the earth.. Nor do I hate Victor the patience and time put in to learning the technique's he has must be immence and for that he deserves credit- just not so much.

I think Overated and Underated comes from public perception and acknowledgement.

I played with a Rhythum guitarist for a while called Ray Tovey - He constantly amazed me and I have NEVER EVER played with a Better drummer than Peter Gofffin who I do not think even plays anymore.. But no-one else will have heard of them some of the very best musicians are undiscovered.

It was just to get objective views on those perceptions and maybe also find some Bassists I had missed out on myself.[/quote]

But everyone's submitting subjective views. I don't think there are any objective perceptions.

You could start a thread on not-so-well-known bassists that are doing something interesting in their field and deserve more attention - but my guess is you'll just get people going on about Squarepusher and not much else! :) :rolleyes: :lol:

I don't get it on bass forums when people list incredibly well known and popular players (in incredibly well known bands) as 'underated', ie John Taylor , Brian Wilson, Mick Karn ...or even Paul McCartney!