Why become a member? ×

What Fender P's are good Fender P's?

dave_bass5

[quote name='obbm' post='76749' date='Oct 19 2007, 09:43 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lakland-Skyline-Bob-Glaub-Bass-Guitar-w-Hard-Case_W0QQitemZ110182489004QQihZ001QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lakland-Skyline-Bob-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

This has to the bargain of the month.

"Strike while the iron is hot"[/quote]

Not bad, though I got my Lakland BG on eBay last year for £ 386 (from uk) - complete with gigbag, string winder. Was a Lake Placid blue one in very good condition. Was just lucky that time...
P

[quote name='obbm' post='76749' date='Oct 19 2007, 09:43 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lakland-Skyline-Bob-Glaub-Bass-Guitar-w-Hard-Case_W0QQitemZ110182489004QQihZ001QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lakland-Skyline-Bob-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Damn, thats good. Red was my first choice as well.
One or two more Rum and Coke's tonight and ill have it. Would really like to play one first though.
Wonder why its so cheap though. I always think if its to good to be true it normally is but this guy has good feedback.

Shipping a bass from Hawaii to the UK?
Could end up costing you as much as the bass...

[quote name='99ster' post='76819' date='Oct 20 2007, 12:44 AM']Shipping a bass from Hawaii to the UK?
Could end up costing you as much as the bass...[/quote]

Well, i managed to resist.
Yes, i was worried about TAx VAT etc. I dont like to do things on the spur of the moment either.
I still want to look at the MIJ's first.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='76425' date='Oct 19 2007, 11:48 AM']Its the Jap ones im not sure about. I know very little about them.[/quote]

The best Japanese Fenders are the not-for-export models. These have US pickups and better quality wood in the body (ash or alder instead of basswood). Guitar Emporium should have some of these but I don't think you will find them in the Bass Cellar/Centre/Gallery or anyone else in Denmark St.

For many years I had a 1986-ish Jap Precision which was extremely well made and which played really well and sounded top notch. Nash now owns it and rates it very highly I believe. Jap P's of that vintage are reasonably priced and well worth looking out for.

Thanks guys.
Just been to the BC and as i thought. Nothing. Not even a MIM. wasnt expecting to see ant MIJ's but i thought at least one Fender would be on show.
Funny experiecne because ther guy in there was helpfull and happy. totaly caught me off gaurd.

Im still inclinded to go with the White 70's MIJ Guitar Emp. has. Alder body, USA pup and about the same cost as the HW1. I emialed them yesterday and have not recieved a reply. Thats puts me off a bit as i was asking about purchasing one.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='76952' date='Oct 20 2007, 01:13 PM']Thanks guys.
Just been to the BC and as i thought. Nothing. Not even a MIM. wasnt expecting to see ant MIJ's but i thought at least one Fender would be on show.
Funny experiecne because ther guy in there was helpfull and happy. totaly caught me off gaurd.

Im still inclinded to go with the White 70's MIJ Guitar Emp. has. Alder body, USA pup and about the same cost as the HW1. I emialed them yesterday and have not recieved a reply. Thats puts me off a bit as i was asking about purchasing one.[/quote]

GE take a couple of days for email I found, nothing to worry about as it's also the weekend. Could always ring them.

And keep an eye on [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm[/url] as he'll often have good stock on there (when he's got stock)

[quote name='chris_b' post='76466' date='Oct 19 2007, 12:33 PM']I don't understand why anyone would pay this much for a Fender when you can buy a Lakland, which has a far better build quality, better playability and is a more flexible and better sounding bass, for less money.[/quote]

Because, (and whilst I agree in principle with you) your statement doesnt take into account the all important critical factor in music......

Fashion.....

Spend wisely on a Fender, look after it and it will hold or increase in value, just because,--- well, its a Fender. There are MUCH better guitars about that dont cost as much as exotic Fenders, however whilst the market is still driven by trends they (the other better makes ) will always just be 'other comodoties' that depreciate in value accordingly.

You can follow fashion.

Or.

You can create it :)

It's not just Fenders that hold their price nowadays, plus there's Fenders that don't , and then there's other Fenders that do.

The average punter can't tell the difference between a Fender and a Lakland anyway, except the Lakky might sound better :huh:

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='77008' date='Oct 20 2007, 04:04 PM']The average punter can't tell the difference between a Fender and a Lakland anyway, except the Lakky might sound better :)

Peter[/quote]

Personally i think they all sound the same 30ft from the stage with the band playing.

Being a certified P-nut, I´ve played dozens of Fenders and ended up with a Highway 1 (first series), a 1996 MIJ (alder body, maple fretboard) and a 2005 CIJ with US pickups and a rosewood board.

I haven´t yet played an American P (Standard, Vintage, Custom Shop even) that I preferred to my Ps in sound, playability and workmanship. The Highway 1 is the way to go if you have to have a MIA P. If you want maximum bang for buck, nothing beats Fender Japan. All strictly IMHO, of course. :)

Edit: Forgot about the 50s Classic MIMs - these are cool basses, well worth their money. Although I still prefer my MIJ. :huh:

Edited by Soulfinger

Dave, I've told this story before so apologies if you read it last time. The last time I went out and bought a P, I literally had £1,000 in my pocket and together with a completely open mind, set off to buy one. I went to Sound Control in Salford and tried about 8 or 9 different Ps from Mexicans up to the 60th Anniversary model - which was very good but thought I'd keep looking.

I then drove up to Music Ground in Leeds because I knew they stocked Jap Fenders. I tried a 62 RI, a 57RI and a bog basic Jap Standard at £329. I kid you not Dave, the Jap Standard was the best P I played all day - which included at least 5 USA ones so I bought it and learned a valuable lesson at the same time.

Don't forget the Lakland Bob - I believe they're superb basses and I fully expect to have one in my possession soon.

Edited by niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='77820' date='Oct 22 2007, 06:41 PM']The last time I went out and bought a P, I literally had £1,000 in my pocket and together with a completely open mind, set off to buy one. I went to Sound Control in Salford and tried about 8 or 9 different Ps from Mexicans up to the 60th Anniversary model - which was very good but thought I'd keep looking.

I then drove up to Music Ground in Leeds because I knew they stocked Jap Fenders. I tried a 62 RI, a 57RI and a bog basic Jap Standard at £329. I kid you not Dave, the Jap Standard was the best P I played all day - which included at least 5 USA ones so I bought it and learned a valuable lesson at the same time.[/quote]

...but (obvious dogs aside) there's also the possibility that any number of those basses, MIA/J/M, could be absolute showstoppers given a decent setup.

There's probably some great brand-new-out-of-the-box basses hanging on the walls of UK guitar shops but, because the buggers are too lazy or dense to take a screwdriver and allen key to them, they've got two-inch-high action and are just gathering dust.

Until that particular playing field is levelled... it's a crapshoot.

The other thing is that I have absolutely no idea what a bass [i]really[/i] sounds like by playing it in a shop. The proof is in the gig pudding. There's no easy answer to that one, like.... unless we mutate into America where you're given a decent chance to try stuff before you commit.

Cheers guys.
I keep hearing about the 50s' Classic. It looks nice in the photo's ive seen, might go to Soundcontrol tomorrow and see if they have one.
While im not against the MIM's ive hear too many good things about the CIJ's to not at least investigate. Plus i love the look of the White one.
Im not against a HW1 either but not happy about the Nitro finish falling off like it has on my Jazz. Totaly blows the resell value IMO.
I guess as een said, you can end up with a bad copy of almost anything. I also wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a 1950's reissue and a 2007 version.
I would like a Lakland but to be honest its out of my price range and i cant see how it would be better than a Fender of the same price range (i wait to be proven wrong though).
Ill keep looking but that white 70's CIJ is looking tempting at around £400 for Japan

+1 on the CIJ, awesome. The neck is perfection. and the sound. mmm I got the US model of the 57RI. You see some on denmark st but they tend to be the standard versions they just sell at silly high prices.

[quote name='Buzz' post='76960' date='Oct 20 2007, 01:45 PM']GE take a couple of days for email I found, nothing to worry about as it's also the weekend. Could always ring them.
And keep an eye on [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm[/url] as he'll often have good stock on there (when he's got stock)[/quote]

+1 great guy to deal with. i more or less emailed him what i wanted and got an email back saying he had one in the next batch. Second hand japanese, someone had upgraded the controls and jack socket to "US standard" ones on mine (whatever that means) and put an orange drop cap in (whatever that is, its big and orange and i hardly use it)
its getting a anodised aluminium pickguard by the end of the week. Quoted £60 over here £12.50 in the states, the benefit of living with an american :)

(what is the orange drop thing btw?)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='77960' date='Oct 22 2007, 11:50 PM']+1 on the CIJ, awesome. The neck is perfection. and the sound. mmm I got the US model of the 57RI. You see some on denmark st but they tend to be the standard versions they just sell at silly high prices.
+1 great guy to deal with. i more or less emailed him what i wanted and got an email back saying he had one in the next batch. Second hand japanese, someone had upgraded the controls and jack socket to "US standard" ones on mine (whatever that means) and put an orange drop cap in (whatever that is, its big and orange and i hardly use it)
its getting a anodised aluminium pickguard by the end of the week. Quoted £60 over here £12.50 in the states, the benefit of living with an american :)

(what is the orange drop thing btw?)[/quote]

One o' them.
Tone control capacitor.
It'd be either 22 or 47 microfarads in value on yours at a guess! (more likely 47)

Well after looking around in the various bass forums im going to check out the MIM 50s classic if i can find one locally.
Seems like they are getting very good reviews. Im just a bit worried about he width of the neck. I fi can find and play one im sure it will be fine. After all im coming from a 5 string. I know it will be wider than my Jazz which i find a bit cramped anyway but as ive not played any other P's id like to see how it compares, even to a standard MIM P. The i need to decide on the colour. Red would be fine, black im used to and HB would look good.
Still fancy the white Jap one though.