Why become a member? ×

Refering to a bass as 'her' and 'she'

cLepto-bass

I always thought that the whole naming/attributing of gender thing was a bit weird, but after many years of playing instruments (getting through about 20 guitars/basses I suppose) for the first time ever for some reason it seemed wholly appropriate to give my amazing new no 1 geetar a name!?!?! Never done it before.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='677982' date='Dec 8 2009, 02:51 PM']My basses came with names from the factory. One's called 'Jazz Bass', the other's called 'Thumb Bass'. Saved me all the trouble of looking through books of baby names.[/quote]

+1 lol my guitar is called "dean" XD

My friend calls his gear names and pretty much every inanimate object. It's pretty weird really. But hell we're all weird in some way so E2HO i guess?

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='677999' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:03 PM']the French call everything he or she, so yes it's wierd[/quote]

In germany they call objects he she and it. Infact they have about 20 words for "the". It makes you think where the hell they even got the idea of something being a man or woman with no evidence of sexual organs whatsoever?

I think this kind of personification is pretty harmless - I guess it brings the owner in someway closer to their possessions. I suppose with more personalised instruments owners do feel a bit more possessive towards them, being as they may well have chosen every tiny detail of their specification, which makes them different from *all the rest*.

Guilty as charged.

But what is more wierd?

Talking to your pets as if they even remotely understand a word you are saying.

Owner: "Who's a good boy? Are you a good boy? Is that your toy. huh? go get it - go on!"
Dog: *blank looks*

Yes, I do talk to my cat - and he does answer - but it's hard to hear him over the other voices.

I played a gig the other night and the bass player from the other 'team' nudged me on the elbow and whispered 'wanna see me bass?' I replied with a reluctant yes at which point he did a drum roll with his mouth followed by the Carmina Burana vocal chant whipped it out out its case and said 'there [b]she[/b] is, isnt [b]she[/b] the most beautiful [b]girl[/b] you've ever seen?'

The whole experience sent shivers down my spine and the funny thing was his bass was an Epi Thunderbird!!!

Hardly the bass of my dreams and definately not one it would go all emotional over.

Edited by uzzell

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='677982' date='Dec 8 2009, 02:51 PM']My basses came with names from the factory. One's called 'Jazz Bass', the other's called 'Thumb Bass'. Saved me all the trouble of looking through books of baby names.

Try looking on yours to see if it's the same, on mine the names are near the end, on the bit that you play cymbals with.[/quote]

LOL :)

'She', and worse still 'He', are definitely not allowed. 'My Baby' is permissible, as long as in indirect address, as in 'please let me introduce you to my Baby', when first entertaining a new gf . If you actually coo at your bass and call it 'My Baby' to its face, well, that's weird.

fatback

I made a point of naming my basses in the early 90s but it always felt a bit awkward. It was only the other day when my wife referred to my original p bass as "Sid" (as in vicious) that I even remembered. I never felt a he or she thing with an instrument but whatever gets you through the night, I guess

Started naming mine when I got the acg for a laugh. Basses are shes, guitars are he's

Acg: Evelynn
Strat: Alfred

Pbass unnamed at the moment and I plan on giving my amps butch names or butch lesbian names lol

Incidentally my car is called Bernard. Simply because Bernards down break down and cry :)