Why become a member? ×

Best pedal tuner?

Beedster

[quote name='BigRedX' post='677814' date='Dec 8 2009, 01:03 PM']A tuner isn't just for tuning up on stage. If you're doing your own setups you want the best you can get.[/quote]
+1.

And it wants to be mains powered in some way, shape or form.
It's no good if your 9v packs up when you're only half way through setting-up your 13-string Schack!

And as for the Tone Suck issue? run it from a tuner out. It's not in the signal path that way. Only problem is that you may lose the ability to tune silently...
The choice is yours!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='677577' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:59 AM']The best IMO is the Peterson. As a Stroborack owner I'll not go back to anything else.

If you don't want to pay that kind of money then look at either a Korg or the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner.[/quote]

+1

So I'd go with the Strobostomp....but the Turbo Tuner is awesome also.

[quote name='Thump Boy' post='692746' date='Dec 24 2009, 05:08 AM']Boss, Korg. Korg, Boss. Boss, Korg. Korg, Boss.
Everyone says the same thing.
Forget that and get a real tuner:

[url="http://www.chromatic-tuner.com/peterson-stroboflip-vs-f-virtual-strobe-tuner"]Peterson StroboFlip VS-F Virtual Strobe Tuner[/url][/quote]

that looks like something from south park or something

but seriously
+1 Korg Pitchblack

:rolleyes: Im retracting my vote for the TU-2 due to it deciding to stop working on me today, only had it a few months and hardly used it.
it lights up , goes into bypass, but nothing happens when want to check tuning ??? no lights just the check light an thats it.
its on my pedal board being powered by a power brick , ive removed it an tried everything (running it off a battery, diffrent lead, taking it out of effect chain etc) an nothing ..... an the shops not open til monday now double :lol: :)
aww well never mind it will get sorted one way or the other, WAS a good tuner while it lasted ??? , either get it changed for another or try somthing diffrent

I have one of these:

Built like a tank, true bypass, easy to read. It has all sorts of intonation options (it comes with some preset sweetened intonations and you can manually program your own) that can be saved into presets. Personally though I just use it in chromatic mode.

I looked at the Strobostomps, but not only are they pricey but I've heard of people experiencing dicky connections. The Turbo Tuner jacks aren't PCB mounted so you don't have problems with solder cracking.

They also make a non-pedal version. Same features and a little easier to use the extended options, but not as bulletproof:

Edited by lightbulbjim

Korg DTR-2000 and/or [b]Pitchblack[/b] for Live Use. Peterson R450 for Setup, Recording and Home Use.

[b]So +1 for Pitchblack[/b]

[quote name='TGEvans' post='702532' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:20 AM']how do the pitchblack and d 10 respond to five string? they both seem good though.t[/quote]

Edited by chriswilliams666

As others have pointed out the 'best' is pretty much unanimously considered to be the Petersen Strobostomp. If you are looking for the tuner which offers the best quality, construction, functionality, etc for the money i'd say hands down the Korg Pitchblack. I love mine, sold a TU-2 for it (which was okay, nothing special - PB is same price and much higher quality).

I used to have use a TU-2, but has since been made redundant due to the purchase of my Line 6 M9 which has a surprisingly fantastic, responsive in-built tuner. From my experience with the TU-2, I'd say it done the job however I think for buying new, there's better in the market. I found the TU-2 to sometimes be quite inaccurate.

I have a Behringer TU300. It cost about £25 and appears to do exactly what it is supposed to do. Used it in bands and I was in tune with everyone else and use it for home practice and I'm in tune with what I'm playing along with. Three different modes - chromatic, b and bb and can switch to either bass or guitar modes depending what you're putting through it. I find the prices of some of the other pedal tuners laughable for what they are. But it's Behringer so it's gotta be crap right?