Why become a member? ×

Hmmm.. new band quandary...

3V17C

hmmm so my band (rock covers) is very good and we all get on really well BUT i've just been offered a position in another band who are more established and therefore make more money. They have 70 gigs booked for next year (all of which pay more than with my current band) and my band has a mere 14 gigs so far. My main reason for doing covers is the money so the new thing would definitely seem the obvious choice on that basis but i'm really torn between the two now!

Current band could get more gigs but because we play quite heavy stuff we are choosy about where we play (real mainstream pubs don't 'get' us so we stick purely to rock pubs therefore less gigs)

New band has loads of gigs - which moneywise/playing wise is good but it might be a few[i] too[/i] many in reality as I often have my daughter most weekends so could be a pain with child minding etc that often.

Current band all get on really well and are good friends who i've known/played with for ages. Plus we're very tight.

New band all seem ok from brief audition meeting and as they've been going years already they're tight musically too.

Current band have previously said that if i was ever to leave they'd split up (!) so i'd feel well bad if it came to that.

Of course there is the possibility of doing both bands i guess but in reality its gonna mean alot of gigs clashing etc.

So all in all a bit of a quandary! thoughts......? suggestions......?

peace

c

Yeah, as soon as I read "have my daughter most weekends" that's going to throw out being a part of such a hard-working band... and obviously she's more important.

Unless, of course, you can take her with you and get her to tune and polish your basses, carry the 8x10", work the mixing desk and beat the drummer sober when the set's about to start? :)

In six months time you'll be pig sick of playing Summer of 69 and Alright Now three times a week in theme pubs but you won't be able to leave because you've used the money to finance a new BMW. Your daughter will have forgotten who you are plus you'll be a grumpy git due to lack of sleep.

Of course if you consider playing the covers circuit to be your day job (and it's probably better than my day job) then this opportunity might be just the ticket.

70 gigs is a lot.,,, and they may take more...??

Personally, I couldn't face 70 pub dates... so unless you need the money badly, then I'd say no.
And that is without the daughter equation which just make sit a no-brainer, IMV.
Just to be sure, you could ask to see the workload and diary, if that helps, but I doubt it..

And another thing, 70 gigs IS a workload if you have a day-job...so probably not much enthusiam to rehearse..which will make your set pretty tired in no time, IMV..

thanks for input so far - and yeah the old thing of 'the grass is always greener' could be true.

of course my daughter is supremely important to me but this could actually work out well. i've been thinking alot lately about things and i reckon with all these new band gigs, plus bass teaching that i do and maybe a bit of other part time work i could leave the old 9-5 behind.... (i've been out of work a while anyhow) - also my daughters mum (we're seperated) is looking to start her own business in the new year so me being able to have my daughter more during the week could be handy for everyone.

the current band is pretty solid but i do know the singer is in the process of doing another band and the guitarist is possibly going to do some sound engineering work for yet another band which would mean having to cancel some of the gigs etc anyway...

AAAAAAAARGH!! i hate decisions!!!

c

It's possible to juggle more than one busy band as long as they both understand that it's first come first served in the gig booking department. I have two on the go and am actively seeking a third simply because I really enjoy gigging as long as it's with a quality band.

However, if you'd rather be going out on a Friday or Saturday night and letting your hair down with your friends instead, then it's potentially a lonely old X miles drive home at 2am in the middle February - especially after a night in front of an unappreciative crowd.

so.. after much delibaration... i decide to stick with current band!! after some discussions we figure we'll work a bit harder, get more gigs ourselves etc plus they said they'd definitely not continue as a band if i left so a bit of guilt/loyalty was involved...

so i tell the new band 'thanks but no thanks' which they're fine with, no problems there.

and THEN.. the very next day, guitarist in current band suddenly says hes thinking about leaving! hes been offered some regular sound engineering work meaning a similar position as i had with clashing gigs etc... but.. he knew about this all the time i was deciding whether to leave or not but somehow failed to mention it!! would have been much easier for me if i'd known about this!! and cannot believe he didn't mention it!! aaaaaaaaargh.. what a tool!

peace

c