Why become a member? ×

First Gig as a Fan

stu_g

[quote name='beardybass' post='668037' date='Nov 28 2009, 09:50 AM']Pitchshifter with Sona Fariq and th Workhorse Movement, at Northumbria Uni. Not sure when, good few years ago though, It were a good 'un.[/quote]

Sona Fariq! Theres an awesome band that hardly anyone ever heard of!!!

Pitchshifter too... am stil in touch with Jonny Carter (he does recording/engineering these days), and JS Claydon used to knob my cousin... hardly a claim to fame... but hey ho!

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='668341' date='Nov 28 2009, 03:06 PM']Monsters of Rock 1988

Helloween
Megadeth
Guns n Roses
David Lee Roth
Kiss
Iron Maiden

:)

still have the tee shirt.[/quote]

I was there. I didn't see you? :rolleyes:

Mine was Gillan in Cardiff Top Rank - must have been 1980? Support were Quartz and White Spirit, Janick Gers band years before he joined Iron Maiden.

[quote name='bethnalgreen' post='668017' date='Nov 28 2009, 09:28 AM']October 5th, 1972 - Hawkwind at the Sundown, Mile End, in London.[/quote]
Ahh, would love to have seen them around then, first time I got to a Hawkwind gig was '76 or 77 at Southampton Gaumont. Fantastic live show, a real all-round experience.

My first ever gig was Deep Purple, '74 (Burn tour, anyway), same venue. I was a little disappointed that Gillan and Glover had split. The support band was 'Elf', who became Rainbow (minus the guitarist, I guess).

I saw various bands when I was growing up at festivals, bike rallies etc. I think the first name band that I was aware of was Slade at a daytime roadshow gig in about '82 but they mimed and I was dissapointed. I had a ticket for a Cult gig in 85 that was cancelled, so I guess the first big gig I went to without adult supervision was Dio with Warlock in support in 87. Both bands were great for different reasons.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='669810' date='Nov 30 2009, 10:10 AM']First gig on my own (my mum had taken me to, among others the Pink Fairies, Heavy Metal Kids and Hawkwind) was the Rich Kids at The Nashville in Jan 1978. Got plastered on Double Diamond. School was bad next day.[/quote]
Wow, you had a cool mum, LEB -- my mum only ever took me to see Father Christmas at Selfridges! :)
Yeah, The Nashville! Good venue.
Long after my first gig(s), I used to see bands such as Mealticket and Supercharge there around 77/78.
Or we'd head down Fulham Palace Road to The Greyhound and catch Kokomo, FBI, S.A.L.T., etc., and further on to The Golden Lion for more of the same.
That was a time when bands would do a mix of covers and original material. And the audience accepted both.

First ever gig was Queen at the Glasgow Apollo - Dec 79 - Crazy Tour followed the next night by Joe Jackson at the Edinburgh Usher Hall.

Queen were absolutely amazing, I was up in the gods and the whole balcony bounced up and down :) - still have a program from that gig somewhere :rolleyes:

I'm not sure it was the very first, but one of my earliest, and easily the most memorable, was the The Alarm at Leeds Uni in 1985.

Not so much because of the Alarm (although they were pretty good), but because the Clash were busking outside before the gig as part of their infamous busking tour.

Link to a report here (the entry for 7th May):

[url="http://homepage.mac.com/blackmarketclash/Bands/Clash/recordings/1985/85-05-11%20Newcastle%20GsHead/85-05-11%20Newcastle%20GsHead.html"]http://homepage.mac.com/blackmarketclash/B...e%20GsHead.html[/url]

Happy days!

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='669774' date='Nov 30 2009, 09:25 AM']I saw various bands when I was growing up at festivals, bike rallies etc. I think the first name band that I was aware of was Slade at a daytime roadshow gig in about '82 but they mimed and I was dissapointed. I had a ticket for a Cult gig in 85 that was cancelled, so I guess the first big gig I went to without adult supervision was Dio with Warlock in support in 87. Both bands were great for different reasons.[/quote]

Yeah,I saw Dio and Warlock .Hammy odeon tho'. Really good gig.
Apart from being a real stunner,I think that Doro is my fave female singer :)

Something unique happened at my first gig as a fan.

I started going to gigs in 1972, mostly at Reading Town Hall. The first event was Jimi Hendrix. Now those Basschatters that have not had to much of the falling down water will realise that James Marshall was as dead as the proverbial Nowegian Blue by then.

It was to see a screening of [i]Jimi Plays Berkeley[/i]. But this was at a time of industrial disputes. I think it might have been the miners. Anyway, a power cut was a real possibility, so the promoter decided to screen the movie first, and put the "support" band on last. So the film was shown (yeah!) and then on came Californian band [b]Cat Mother and The All-Night Newsboys[/b]. In the middle of their set, the power went, but they had a drummer and a conga player who kept on going for about twenty minutes! Bit like Woodstock with the crowd banging cans.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='669758' date='Nov 30 2009, 08:53 AM']I was there. I didn't see you? :)

Mine was Gillan in Cardiff Top Rank - must have been 1980? Support were Quartz and White Spirit, Janick Gers band years before he joined Iron Maiden.[/quote]

All quite coincidental. I too was at that Monsters of Rock that various people have commented on. I was reasonably near the front when the stampede happened, two people died in the mud but most of us were unaware at the time. I never went to another Donnington. Also like Bilbo my first 'proper' gig was Gillan but a little later in 1981 in Bradford when Gers had by now joined the Gillan band. Budgie were one of the support bands.

Edited by KevB

i went to see adam and the ants at the glasgow apollo in '82, i think.

that was my first gig, i went with my uncle and cousins, being 9 at the time.

the first one i went to when i went under my own steam was wasp at the edinburgh playhouse about 89 or so, the headless children tour...

[quote name='beardybass' post='668037' date='Nov 28 2009, 09:50 AM']Pitchshifter with Sona Fariq and th Workhorse Movement, at Northumbria Uni. Not sure when, good few years ago though, It were a good 'un.[/quote]

It was at Newcastle uni you blockhead

Edit: Oh wait was it? Didn't i go with you? i cant remember now

Edited by metaltime

[quote name='metaltime' post='671768' date='Dec 2 2009, 12:58 AM']It was at Newcastle uni you blockhead

Edit: Oh wait was it? Didn't i go with you? i cant remember now[/quote]

I think you may be right, pretty sure we went together, one of many! Thinking about it, it was Newcastle, I am a blockhead. :)

[quote name='beardybass' post='671784' date='Dec 2 2009, 03:20 AM']I think you may be right, pretty sure we went together, one of many! Thinking about it, it was Newcastle, I am a blockhead. :)[/quote]

Ha! Sounds like it was a great night out! :rolleyes:

I remember my younger sister getting to go to a gig before I did which always seemed incredibly unfair. I can remember my dad standing in the hall saying "Are you sure you don't want to come? I can easy get another ticket." I remember waivering but then answering No, conscious then at the age of 13 that I did not want to have as my first gig.... Bucks Fizz!

27 years later I still think that was a wise decision.

My actual first gig was Julian Cope in '86