Why become a member? ×

First Gig as a Fan

stu_g

Ex Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley played the Hammersmith Odeon on 19th March 1988 and I was there. Bass player John Regan fell over onstage and I was really impressed. My friend Robin who came with me wore an especially nerdy light blue jumper which killed any rock credibility we could have had but I loved the show. Looking back that band was a bit rubbish really but at the time I loved Ace Frehley and I liked John Regan as a bassist.

Edited by BurritoBass

Also Status Quo, but in 1972 at the Queen's Club in Westcliff on Sea. I bet they played the same chords, too.

Walked in and couldn't believe my luck as there was a space really close to the stage... in front of the speakers. I put that night down to my lack of hearing now.

[quote name='ahpook' post='668023' date='Nov 28 2009, 09:33 AM']the first band i ever saw were a funk band called zoot and the roots...at the astoria in leeds i think - about 1986 ?[/quote]

I did a couple of tours with Zoots about that time- in a band called the Mighty Strike

My first Gig was Elvis Costello and the attractions / Richard Hell and the Voidoids and John Cooper Clarke in Manchester- `77-`78? Great Gig

Bob

Hi there, good one..
Mine was (showing my age a bit) Gary Numan at Newcastle City Hall 27 September 1980
whike he was doing TELETOUR 80.
I was in the stalls and my ticket cost, wait for it, £3.75, a T-Shirt was £1.50 for my size.
A guy called NASH THE SLASH was the support act and he was different

Showing you my eclectic taste in music my next gig was at the same venue but the band
was Motorhead, the gig when they recorded the No Sleep til \Hammersmith Live CD or
album as i was back then...

Weird as it is Gary Numan is in North East tonight at Sunderland University campus so might go along as it's pay on the dooer

First gig was Yes at Stafford Bingley Hall (The Cattle maket) on 2nd November 1977 on the Going For The One tour - and IIRC they thre in Don't Kill The Whale. A good noght, Jon Anderson wanted everyone to be comfortable and asked us all to move bac a couple of feet so that wwe could all sit on the floor - and evryone complied - wonderful friendly atmosphere.

Followed this a couple of weeks later with Rainbow at the same venue on 18th November 1977. Blackmore, Dio, Cozy Powell, David Stone and Bob Daisley complete with rainbow lightshow. I think this tour was to promote the forthcoming Long Live Rock And Roll album, and was Rainbow at their best - full of energy.

A good many other gigs followed, but the next memorable event was Reading Rock Festival in 1983.

10 CC at Newcastle City Hall 1983 ish. I didn't know it then (as a 14 year old) but the musicianship was hard to beat!

That was followed not long after by Status Quo on their 'end of the road' farewell tour . Were they 'havin a laugh or what?

Steve.

Edited by StevieC