Why become a member? ×

Pick to fingers

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='653826' date='Nov 13 2009, 05:11 PM']I'm thinking about playing with my fingers, not all the time but I'd like to have the option.

I can play up to about 200BPM quarter note with my fingers,[b] some of our song go up to 260BPM playing eighths , any tips?[/b][/quote]

yeah, use your pick for those songs!

+1

You have to ask yourself why you want to use fingers. Is it because it looks cooler or because the song asks for it?

As for how to build up finger speed and strength, I got into the habit of playing as close to the bridge as possible. The tension is high enough that it's hard work to get the speed and attack but you avoid the messiness of playing too near the bridge. You'll get nasty blisters and your fingers will hurt like hell, but once you've built up the callouses it gets much easier.

There are occasions where you will really want to use a pick, maybe not for out and out speed, but for the different attack and muting options. Likewise, there are occasions where the warmth and extra control of fingers comes into its own.

I would love to play both styles but I find that on anything even slightly fast (way less than 200-260 bpm) I am not metronomic with fingers and occasionally 'catch' them or stumble on the strings. Whereas I can keep a pick going for a long time pretty fast. There'a RHCP song on By The Way that starts simply with a single note played very fast with fingers, shifting register a couple of times. Its actually very simple but there's not a way in the world I could keep up the consistency and smoothness between each note.

[quote name='Clarky' post='653948' date='Nov 13 2009, 07:02 PM']I would love to play both styles but I find that on anything even slightly fast (way less than 200-260 bpm) I am not metronomic with fingers and occasionally 'catch' them or stumble on the strings. Whereas I can keep a pick going for a long time pretty fast. There'a RHCP song on By The Way that starts simply with a single note played very fast with fingers, shifting register a couple of times. Its actually very simple but there's not a way in the world I could keep up the consistency and smoothness between each note.[/quote]

The consistency is my problem, I've just learnt Original Prankster by The Offspring as a little warm up but I find I can only use 2 fingers.

I started out with a pick (as I'm sure most did?) but now I seem to have lost all pick-rhythm!

I now find using four fingers in an oscillating movement with a thumb rest is the best way to play for fast songs.

It comes more natural to me, but I think that's more likely to be because I'm unorthodox with dodgy technique, not because I'm the next Stanley Clarke!

I mix both and tend to play with a pick on the rockier numbers, fingers on the softer songs. I have to say there is some excellent advice here. Fair play to you for wanting to stretch yourself as a player.

I experiment too - sometimes what I think will be a plectrum tune works out better vice versa.

Keep practicing and it'll all sound good

I'm a pick player originally, but Ive learnt to play more and more with my fingers. On some tracks/basses, fingerstyle sounds excellent.

I can no way match my very speedy and efficient pick technique...but Im hoping ill be able to do a very good job at most styles of moderate paced music in the near future.

Punk sometimes sounds better with a pick....I find that....but then again A Wilhelm Scream bassist uses his fingers and he plays extremely fast.

Just keep going and going. Get a metronome website up and play along for as long as you can at a comfortable speed....do it as often as possible. Try play someof your own songs with your fingers.

It will work :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='653948' date='Nov 13 2009, 07:02 PM']I would love to play both styles but I find that on anything even slightly fast (way less than 200-260 bpm) I am not metronomic with fingers and occasionally 'catch' them or stumble on the strings. Whereas I can keep a pick going for a long time pretty fast. [b]There'a RHCP song on By The Way[/b] that starts simply with a single note played very fast with fingers, shifting register a couple of times. Its actually very simple but there's not a way in the world I could keep up the consistency and smoothness between each note.[/quote]

Parallel Universe I think :)

Back in the day I was a pick player. When I picked bass up again nearly ten years ago after ten years of not playing I was more into Motown & Stax & made a conscious decision to ditch the pick and only play with fingers. I prefer the control and articulation I can get when playing with fingers and pick no longer works for me. One of the songs we do is a fast version of 'get out of denver' which often used to cause my right hand to tense up with cramp through playing hard, fast & repetitive. I no longer suffer this. A few things I discovered by trial & error which helped me:
[list]
[*]I built up the strength of my fingers with a gripmaster
[*]I turned the amp up higher so I didn't have to play so hard
[*]I use a limiter so even out the dynamic range when playing softer
[*]I use very light gauge, and very responsive strings (flats work for me: Thomastik JF324 / 344)
[*]I worked on still getting it sounding aggressive without playing hard - ie the attack
[/list]

I've always been a finger player, I started out on double, so the idea of playing with a pick came to me after I'd already been playing for a few years. (at that point I was too much of a snob to even try it out, and now wish I'd made the effort!)

A few things I'd recommend are; [list]
[*]playing around with scales, they have pretty much all the finger movements you're
[/list]
[list]
[*]playing along to cd's of tracks you know well
[/list]
[list]
[*]never using a metronome
[/list]

*I realise the last one is a contentious topic, but I'm just giving my opinion, not looking for a debate on the subject.*

Good luck with it matey, it's really cool to see someone trying to expand their repertoire as it were. Ye knar?

Dan

Reason for edit: realised my original post was not constructive in any way, shape, or form.

Edited by beardybass

Fetch your ring finger into play. It takes a little practice & you'll say "fijck it" a few times, but it's a useful finger to use on bass.
Double thumbing (without making it sound like slap) is another option to get fast notes without a pick, this I'm still not too good at, but practice makes good rock music.

As for metronomes, it's up to you. Some folk like em & helps keep timing, other folk can't be arsed with them & make use of a drummer if needs be.

Play finger style on the edge of your steering wheel in the car to whatever song you're listening to (if it's a slow song just do 16th notes in time on the wheel). This way you can build up your muscle memory and strength/speed when you're away from your bass!

Otherwise, if you're not in the car, do it on your leg when you're listening to music. However, try to avoid doing this in public!

Dunno if this is of any interest but heres my thoughts.

I play rock/blues,,,zep, the who, joe bonamassa, kings of leon.etc.... now in my style, fingers are used all the way as theres is more control and lets face it these songs aint gonna strain yer forearm.

I used to play motorhead in another band and mainly due to the ATTACK, SPEED AND RHYTHM i needed the pick to play the tunes.

I think its best to have both at our disposal however concentrate on what style you play and what is best for the song, not for you just to show your diversity.Cos lets face it, the crowd doesnt give a sh*t about you,,,only the song..

+1 to learning to use the ring finger. I've been a devout 2-finger guy for all my playing years - never used a pick - but messing round with some Iron Maiden classics in which Steve Harris gets those "galloping" rhythms going with three fingers really got me into it. Now it's just natural to me to use all three.

Still can't get the little finger doing anything useful though. That's coming next!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='654222' date='Nov 14 2009, 08:09 AM']Fetch your ring finger into play.[/quote]

Another thing worth trying is to miss out the middle finger and alternate the first finger and ring finger. I can't play any faster this way but the timing between the notes is more consistent.

A great exercise I've found is the Flea version of the 'I Feel Love' bassline. I think there's a video of it on bassplayer.tv somewhere.