Why become a member? ×

Does anyone else play a lot of open strings?

Cat Burrito

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='641650' date='Oct 31 2009, 06:51 AM']James Jamerson played [i]loads[/i] of open strings, using them as passing notes across pretty much any key. It's one of the things that defines his style in my eyes.

I play shedloads of open strings in my stoner-doom bass role. Especially the drone side project. :)[/quote]

Me too

I play open strings as a Root with runs over the top of them, open string harmonics, chords with open strings, open strings with a slide up to the octave , or chord.
The fact they may sound different is good, it gives you more tonal variations.

Geez guys try something different than 'thump' 'thump' 'thump'

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='641650' date='Oct 31 2009, 06:51 AM']James Jamerson played [i]loads[/i] of open strings, using them as passing notes across pretty much any key. It's one of the things that defines his style in my eyes.

I play shedloads of open strings in my stoner-doom bass role. Especially the drone side project. :)[/quote]

[quote name='Prosebass' post='641673' date='Oct 31 2009, 09:05 AM']Me too

I play open strings as a Root with runs over the top of them, open string harmonics, chords with open strings, open strings with a slide up to the octave , or chord.

Geez guys try something different than 'thump' 'thump' 'thump'[/quote]
+1 on both of these.

Besides which it surely is just standard technique to use open strings on both bass guitar and upright bass - why on earth would you ignore four (or five) notes that are available in every position on the fretboard/fingerboard?

Y'know, I never imagined for an instant this would turn into a serious discussion.

For one thing, [i]not[/i] playing open strings means your bass is effectively tuned F Bb Eb Ab*. And you never get to use the lowest note on the instrument. And scores of well-known riffs suddenly become a finger stretching nightmare.

To suggest that the [i]general practice [/i]of using open or closed strings are alternative approaches seems beyond the bounds of sane debate. It's like asking if one uses both one's feet when walking.

Now, if we're talking about the tonal variations encountered when playing [i]specific[/i] passages in [i]different[/i] positions or on [i]different[/i] strings- that's - er - different.

[size=1]* Yes, I know a 5-string would be tuned C etc. But 5-s aren't proper basses.[/size]

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='641859' date='Oct 31 2009, 01:39 PM']Y'know, I never imagined for an instant this would turn into a serious discussion.[/quote]

Its not the first time..... :rolleyes:

I started one as a repost to a certain thread being closed after 3 posts and at last count it had over 40 replies :)

[quote name='leschirons' post='642143' date='Oct 31 2009, 08:26 PM']I have, on one occaision, whilst playing "Let's work together" in A, been to the bogs and had a wee without stopping. Other than that it's the E and A strings only and the odd low B as the D and G strings are too toppy and thin.[/quote]

Did you wash your hands afterwards?

:)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='642110' date='Oct 31 2009, 07:30 PM']Yes, of course I do. Too many people think the bass is a guitar and play it as such. Working across the strings, using open strings is the logical way of playing the instrument. The less leaping up and down the neck you do, the more efficient, fast and smooth you're going to be.[/quote]Beautifully put our kid.

I have tended to avoid open strings simply on the basis that if you need to change the key then the fingering pattern can often be unchanged. This is particularly true as I seem to be migrating towards 5 strings, playing bottom E on the B string rather than on the open E string.

Having said that, there are times when open strings are great, especially if it happens to be the key note, so no hard and fast rules for me - do whatever works.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='642496' date='Nov 1 2009, 01:49 PM']I have tended to avoid open strings simply on the basis that if you need to change the key then the fingering pattern can often be unchanged. This is particularly true as I seem to be migrating towards 5 strings, playing bottom E on the B string rather than on the open E string.

Having said that, there are times when open strings are great, especially if it happens to be the key note, so no hard and fast rules for me - do whatever works.[/quote]

+1

Finished my migration a little while ago! Only use open strings if a good fingering pattern dictates that I should, but I'm poor at muting them (my bad technique probably!).

[quote name='Prosebass' post='641673' date='Oct 31 2009, 09:05 AM']Me too

Geez guys try something different than 'thump' 'thump' 'thump'[/quote]

Totally agree!

The use of open strings is a technique as much as any other, in terms of passing notes and pedal tones - Muse's Hysteria gives a great example of this, what an awesome bassline!