Why become a member? ×

Warwicks - What are they like?

Linus27

Spector is of course the original :)

Warwicks differ hugely depending on the model and vintage. I'd go old Warwick (pre 93) every time.

Being a Spector owner nowadays I'd say that the Tone Pump models can lack versatility but that build quality, comfort, playability and tone are superb. They can be pretty hefty though.

I've become a Spector convert 2nd time around. If I was to go 5 string Warwick it would be a Streamer no doubt. I like the 17mm string spacing on the Spectors though.

Prefer bolt ons because they look better :rolleyes:

Oh and Ville (nobody's prefect) is selling my old Thumb and it is totally awesome in a way that new ones can't hope to compete with imo.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='dave.c' post='639578' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:12 PM']Until now I've never understood the 'thing' about Warwick basses, I tried quite a few and was never really inspired by them and eventually when I was looking for a new fretted bass I went for a Spector Rebop (I prefer the attack of a bolt on neck bass generally) which is fantastic, but I have been looking to take up fretless again as my band now has just bass, keyboards, drums and a little bit of guitar from our singer and I thought the new sound would suit a fretless - my excuse anyway!

Back to the point!
Monday I went to try a Squier Vintage modified jazz that was being sold privately in Ipswich (+ Quarter Pounders and badass and hard case and as new, really, really good condition at £250 if anyone is interested!) and the chap had a Warwick Thumb bolt on fretless - virtually unused as well as it happened, tried them both and now I understand!
Strung with flats it has a wonderful tone, versatile and playable everything I wanted, so I had to have it.
Used it at rehersal last night and even though I haven't played a fretless for more years than I care to remember and it sounded fantastic! the rest of the band loved it and I'm now sold and will look at all Warwick basses generally with new ears, if that makes any sense at all.
Probably this is story is no help at all to you but I now look at them in a different light, fabulous basses, so get out and try some, not like Fenders but great in their own right, the time was obviously right for me.[/quote]

Congratulations Dave! I like stories like that, I was converted to Warwicks in virtually the same way.

I bet it weighs a ton though?! :)

Regarding weight...

My Streamer stage 2 = 9lbs 1 oz.

My USA '75 Jazz = 9lbs 5 oz.

My Spector CRFM 5 = 10lbs 3 oz, but it a 5 string and all maple. The balance is perfect though so the weight is not very noticeable.

So the lightest is the Warwick.
:)

EDIT. I have another ash/maple jazz and it weighs 10lbs 4 oz. :rolleyes:

Edited by machinehead

Warwicks - great tonal versatility IMHO.
The blend pot lets you dial in that neck P-bass sound, especially when you pull the vol knob to deactivate the active (on my streamer jazzman 5), then you can get that Flea/musicman sound by going for the bridge pup with lots of mid from the on-board EQ. I've got even more tonal flexibility by changing from series/parallel configs as well with the switch so if variety of tone is what you're after, with exotic woods, bolt-on neck and a thing of beauty to look at, then I'd say Warwicks are your best bet matey :-)

I have recently switched from Stingrays to Warwicks - like a week ago!

Yes, moving to 24 frets does throw things out a bit but you soon get used to it. I have a Custom SS1 which has a PJ configuration so I can't vouch for what the JazzMan does sound wise but for sheer playablilty, for me, it blew both Stingrays away. I also have a P Bass and have owned a Jazz in the past and I reckon my Streamer is a far better instrument, but I won't be selling my P Bass though :)

As am sure you will hear many times, go try one or two, the new Streamer Double Bucks are bolt-on and I've just got a 5 string one of these. It sounds huge and you've a nice range of pick up switching options, great neck and no heavier than either of my 'rays even though they are 4 stringers! So I'd audition one of these as well.

There you go, hope that helps

[quote name='Linus27' post='635615' date='Oct 24 2009, 07:59 PM']Back around the late 80's, I had an advert from Warwick advertising a Streamer. It was the light ash or maple colour that they do and it had yin and yan dot inlays. I fell in love with it and always wanted one. However, I am a Fender bass player through and through. I love the feel, the neck length and the sound of the Fender basses. They are perfect for me as a player. The only other non Fender bass I love is a Stingray. Apart from the sound which I am not keen on, it basically looks and feels like a Fender so thats good enough for me.

So, am I going to like a Warwick Streamer? I was looking at the Jazzman as that has a bolt on neck (I hate through neck basses) and it looks pretty straight forward. One concern is the neck looks so long. It has 24 frets where as the Fender has 20.

What sort of sound will I get from it? I keep hearing about this Warwick growl but I prefer the smooth well balanced tone that you get from a Fender and certainly not the middle sparkly sound from the Stingray. Are they quite versatile tonally?

Before I think about spending some money in the future, just wondering what the general feeling is towards them. Thanks for any help. By the way, I will never sell my Fender Jazz or my Stingray. I just fancy making one of my dreams come true and getting a Warwick I fell in love with.[/quote]

[quote name='machinehead' post='639974' date='Oct 29 2009, 12:55 PM']Regarding weight...

My Streamer stage 2 = 9lbs 1 oz.

My USA '75 Jazz = 9lbs 5 oz.

My Spector CRFM 5 = 10lbs 3 oz, but it a 5 string and all maple. The balance is perfect though so the weight is not very noticeable.

So the lightest is the Warwick.
:)

EDIT. I have another ash/maple jazz and it weighs 10lbs 4 oz. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Having seen this, and knowing my Streamer LX6 to be a weighty item, I weighed it just to be sure. Then I took out health insurance.

13lb 1oz. Shocking. Just as well I wear it relatively high and close in to my body with a very broad strap!

[quote name='urban Bassman' post='643110' date='Nov 2 2009, 08:48 AM']moving to 24 frets does throw things out a bit but you soon get used to it.[/quote]

The neck-thru Thumbs have got 26 frets. I don't really notice because I rarely get up there but I slid up for an A on the 19th fret the other day in practice and had a "bloody hell" moment when I got there. Missed it by a mile, there were just so many frets to choose from!

I found myself in Guildford this afternoon and so I popped into Andertons to have a try of some Warwicks and hopefully a Corvette. They only really had a Bubinga Corvette Double Buck but it was better than nothing and it was more the neck and how it felt on a strap rather than the sound. The assistant handed it to me and my first thought was how heavy it was but in reality, it was no heavier than my Stingray. He plugged it in to a Mark Bass combo thing and I started to play and it sounded amazing. Now I know what the Warwick growl is and I loved it. It was also really tight and punchy. No idea what settings I had as it had two switches but how ever I set them it still sounded great. Next I tried it with a strap and again it felt fine. I played for about 20 mins and then I realised, the lack of dot markers on the face of the frets and realised not having them there is not going to be a problem. The bass was really well balanced and did not feel heavy or neck dived at all. My only concern was due to the long neck or shape of the bass, the frets are a little further away and I did feel I had to stretch a little to play further down the neck closer to the headstock. I'm sure I would get used to it but it was a noticable difference.

I now wonder how different a Corvette Standard in Ash would be considering it has a bolt on neck, lighter body, different pickups and passive circuitry. I am so very tempted to go for one.

[quote name='LennyP' post='636655' date='Oct 26 2009, 05:17 AM']I have an '87 Warwick Streamer neckthrough which is definitely one of my favourites and would not think of selling it - very slim neck, light cherry body wings, PJ pups[/quote]

I have one of them too! It was my main bass from '99-'08. Great bass. Weighs 9lbs.

Alex

[quote name='Linus27' post='647318' date='Nov 6 2009, 03:25 PM']I found myself in Guildford this afternoon and so I popped into Andertons to have a try of some Warwicks and hopefully a Corvette. They only really had a Bubinga Corvette Double Buck but it was better than nothing and it was more the neck and how it felt on a strap rather than the sound. The assistant handed it to me and my first thought was how heavy it was but in reality, it was no heavier than my Stingray. He plugged it in to a Mark Bass combo thing and I started to play and it sounded amazing. Now I know what the Warwick growl is and I loved it. It was also really tight and punchy. No idea what settings I had as it had two switches but how ever I set them it still sounded great. Next I tried it with a strap and again it felt fine. I played for about 20 mins and then I realised, the lack of dot markers on the face of the frets and realised not having them there is not going to be a problem. The bass was really well balanced and did not feel heavy or neck dived at all. My only concern was due to the long neck or shape of the bass, the frets are a little further away and I did feel I had to stretch a little to play further down the neck closer to the headstock. I'm sure I would get used to it but it was a noticable difference.

I now wonder how different a Corvette Standard in Ash would be considering it has a bolt on neck, lighter body, different pickups and passive circuitry. I am so very tempted to go for one.[/quote]

Converted! Time to get the credit card out methinks....

I didn't know Warwick still made passive basses, they didn't do the passive Corvette when i bought mine years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the green light on getting me a Warwick now. After thinking long and hard and reading all the posts here and at the Warwick forum, I am going for a Corvette Standard Passive in Ash. I was going to go for the passive with active electronics but I have since found out that when you select passive mode, you bypass all your tone controls which seems a bit naff.

So, very excited but also pretty nervous in case I really don't like it when I get it :)

I think Warwick upped the game when they came out but they weren't that far off a custom house at the time. Now, they are a much bigger concern and you might have a before and after comment about that.

Playing-wise they were pretty easy to get into but the neck was typically chunky and heavy. They used nice woods and were at the forefront of popular basses using wenge and bubinga type dark woods.
Now they have broadened their product range you will just have to take alook to see if they suit you.

Something different in the popular bass world of today, would be my thinking.

My GAS bass used to be the Thumb but I never got round to it, and never needed to as none of my gigs would have wanted it at the time.

Probably my dated POV overall on these basses.

P.S. I alway think the passive/active thing on a bass is a get out of jail thing...in that it will still work with the battery flat. This is useful on an active bass, but you wouldn't want to swap around otherwise, IMV

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='657748' date='Nov 18 2009, 01:17 AM']P.S. I alway think the passive/active thing on a bass is a get out of jail thing...in that it will still work with the battery flat. This is useful on an active bass, but you wouldn't want to swap around otherwise, IMV[/quote]

A popular misconception about Warwick basses! The active/passive push/pull pot only helps in the event of a dead battery on the basses equipped with the $$ system. The active Streamers, Dolphins, Corvettes etc. are not truly passive in 'passive' mode. To test; remove the battery from one of those basses and you get nothing, nada, zilch, they don't work. They require battery juice for the actual pup as well as the preamp EQ.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='657779' date='Nov 18 2009, 07:08 AM']A popular misconception about Warwick basses! The active/passive push/pull pot only helps in the event of a dead battery on the basses equipped with the $$ system. The active Streamers, Dolphins, Corvettes etc. are not truly passive in 'passive' mode. To test; remove the battery from one of those basses and you get nothing, nada, zilch, they don't work. They require battery juice for the actual pup as well as the preamp EQ.[/quote]

Not so for Corvettes, I'm afraid. I've a Bubinga Corvette with the passive silver-script 'Dynamic Correction' pickups and active 2-band pre-amp and I've just taken the battery out and it works fine with the volume knob pulled up in to the passive position.

What you say is true for the MEC red-script active pick-ups, which Corvettes don't have.

I use it in the passive position for our more modern songs and in the active position (with bass boosted and treble cut) for the old swing numbers - very versatile.

Edited by ColinB

[quote name='ColinB' post='657798' date='Nov 18 2009, 08:15 AM']Not so for Corvettes, I'm afraid. I've a Bubinga Corvette with the passive silver-script 'Dynamic Correction' pickups and active 2-band pre-amp and I've just taken the battery out and it works fine with the volume knob pulled up in to the passive position.[/quote]
+1. I believe most Warwicks are actually equipped with both active pickups and active electrics. The push/pull switch only disengages the active electrics, leaving the pickups running on the battery. When the battery is dying I can pull the switch to get an extra bit of life out of it but when the charge has completely gone my Thumb BO is silent.

The MEC pickups with silver writing are the passive ones. The ones with gold (or red apparently) writing are active and won't work without any battery, regardless of the push/pull switch.

[quote name='peted' post='657965' date='Nov 18 2009, 11:52 AM']+1. I believe most Warwicks are actually equipped with both active pickups and active electrics. The push/pull switch only disengages the active electrics, leaving the pickups running on the battery. When the battery is dying I can pull the switch to get an extra bit of life out of it but when the charge has completely gone my Thumb BO is silent.

The MEC pickups with silver writing are the passive ones. The ones with gold (or red apparently) writing are active and won't work without any battery, regardless of the push/pull switch.[/quote]

My Corvette has the gold script logo pickups and i'm dead sure it works without a battery.

Well, today I ordered my passive Warwick Corvette Standard in Ash. I went for passive as I am not a big fan of active basses and if the passive is dull, then I always could upgrade to active at a later date. I am getting it brand new from Andertons and they price matched the Bass Centre at £598 which is a bloody good price. Its going to take 2 weeks according to Warwick in Germany but Andertons said this is more like 4 weeks as they are made to order. So I guess its quite nice that some clever German chap is crafting me my own bass. I hope he picks a nice piece of wood.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated on how it goes but I really am very excited.