Why become a member? ×

Warwicks - What are they like?

Linus27

[quote name='ieuanmacey' post='739940' date='Feb 9 2010, 01:20 PM']Got my hands on a Corvette $$ 5 string yesterday - I'd always admired Warwicks from afar but remember being put off as a novice by the size of the neck when trying one out about 15 years ago in The Bass Centre, compared to my good old Sunn Mustang P copy! I never liked the look of Streamers either but Thumbs and Vette's always drew me in for a closer look!

So, when on the lookout for something of a change bass-wise, I thought I'd satisfy the niggling doubt about them and actually buy one. A bit of a leap of faith I suppose but I did my research and knew what I wanted!

All I can say is that having had a rip through for an hour or so last night at v low volume, I am so pleased I bought her, bar none the nicest and most "like a bass" sounding bass I've ever played and I've owned/played quite a few - I honestly feel like I've found the sound that I've been hearing in my head for years, finally under my fingertips!

Can't wait to have a proper turn-up later this week at rehearsal, and move some air live later this year!

Sorry to whaffle, had to share with some like minded peeps!

Keep it rockin'[/quote]

Sounds good!

What's the neck and spacing like with the 5er?

I'm seriously tempted by either a passive Corvette or (finances allowing) a $$ (I'd have to try the Streamer and Corvette out to decide) but I've heard varying things about the low B. I like a nice clear tone and some amps I've used at gigs over the years have been a minefield in squishy Bs. How do the various models from Warwick hold their low end?

This is a what is 'cool' question, isn't it?

Raised the bar when they first surfaced and are now mass produced - by comparison - by whoever now owns then.
Not played one in a good few years now so if you find one you like, then good luck.

But I am not sure if they pass your 'cool' test :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='JTUK' post='740070' date='Feb 9 2010, 03:45 PM']This is a what is 'cool' question, isn't it?

Raised the bar when they first surfaced and are now mass produced - by comparison - by whoever now owns then.
Not played one in a good few years now so if you find one you like, then good luck.

But I am not sure if they pass your 'cool' test :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Not actually quite true. The German models are still made to order and to your spec so not mass produced. I know this as I had to wait 10 weeks for them to build my bass. Warwick is also still owned by Hans Peter Wilfer.

The new cheaper Pro models which are going to be made in Korea might change things but the German models certainly are not mass produced.