Why become a member? ×

Fender MIA Basses

spongebob

I'm a fairly new convert to Fender, owning a Geddy Jazz and and my newest bass, a MIM P in Lake Placid Blue (maple fretboard). Had a Jag, but sold it, as I spent more time playing with the switches rather than the bass itself!

I used to play Rics, but with multiple QC issues, I just wanted to play a bass out the box, gig it, and replace it off the peg if needs be.

Obviously, the Ged is MIJ. Great quality lovely bass. I went for a MIM P, as it is my first P, so didn't want to spend the earth, in case I couldn't live with it.

Between the two, I'd be hard pushed to tell any quality difference. Both are faultless.

Out of interest, you can buy a new MIM P for about £400, but a new MIA is more than double.

I'm not looking for another (no more P GAS....yet!), but for what I do (pubs, small dingy places, etc), is the price tag on a MIA worth the difference? Are you just paying for the MIA name?

I play all mine through Markbass (121 combo with NY cab), and they both give me the tones I want. I love the look of a black P with a black pickguard.....however, if I was ever going to do it, am I off the mark to just stick with the MIM stuff?

It's an interesting one. I'd agree that these days there's little to choose between the physical build quality of the MIA, MIJ and MIM Fenders, even some of the top end Squiers I've seen recently aren't far off....better computer controlled machining maybe

The main difference seems to be the relative weakness of the MIM pick-ups.

I picked up a new MIM sunburst JB in 2006, swapped out the bridge for a Badass III, the white scratchplate for a Fender replacement tortoiseshell one (for that 62 reissue look) and a pair of classic Seymour Duncans and still saved myself £300 off the USA model. The Badass really helps with getting the action down, general intonation and definitely gives a beefier sound (as you'll know from the Geddy), I'm not sure why Fender don't fit them as standard. The SDs are just miles better than the standard pups.

I also had the action lowered, neck adjusted slightly and intonation set-up by a local luthier, which has resulted in a very playable bass.

Previous to this I have used a mixture of a 60s Epihone Rivoli (which I really regret selling), a couple of Yamaha BBs and an Ibanez Roadster (all long gone) but no American Fenders.

I also have a Westone Thunder 1A which I'm working on at the moment, great bass with a really punchy 80's sound and if I need a workout I can just use that, as it weighs a ton!

Personally, if you have the time and inclination, I'd find a well built MIM or MIJ Fender and spec it up (which the Geddy Lee more or less is) but having only played the MIA models briefly I may be missing something.

I've had a few Jazzes in the past 3-4 years, so I can tell you a bit about them...

1. MIM Jazz V - Lovely looking bass, great to play & almost nailed the Marcus Tone, but as others have said, woefully inadequate pickups. Very poor output.

2. Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz - Very nicely made Indonesian bass (from the Cort factory) with a great sound but not great hardware.

3. Geddy Lee CIJ Jazz - Lovely sounding bass, curiously "middy" sound but as soon as I put thinner strings on it, the shaved down neck would change shape on a weekly basis and infuriatingly needed truss-rod adjustment almost as frequently.

4. American S1 series (last of run) Jazz - This was a lovely Jazz. The last of run models had the rolled fingerboard edges, Hipshot tuners and much better quality than basses produced even a year beforehand. Great sound & increased richness in the tone from the through body stringing.

5. Marcus Miller CIJ Jazz - Lovely bass when played passive or through an external preamp. The Fender pre is shockingly harsh and nasty. Oh, and the immense quality of the MM signature comes at a price. It weighs more than the average super-tanker!

6. '09 American Standard - These new models are astounding. They combine an almost modern crispness with the classic Jazz sound we all love. Quality and finish is top notch (if you find a good one) & it always feels like something special to own. They got it right.

7. Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz - These new Chinese instruments are a revelation. The quality seems to be highly consistent & they actually play and sound just like you want a Jazz bass to. It produces that classic Jazz sound we all have in our heads. Bargain of the year!

Obviously, these are just my observations on the Jazzes I've owned in recent years. As others will always say, there are diamonds and dogs in all the ranges and if you find the perfect American Standard bass in terms of quality and the right feel for you, yes they're definitely worth the extra money.

Rich.

After testing some of the earlier S1's, they werent as worth it...even though they were still nice.

Total change with the new American Series 08/09. For £799-£850, you get a LOT for your money. Yes, mass produced, etc etc, but the new bridges, cases, necks, and tuners make them much more on par with the fender copiers.

A few years back, before the S1, I bought a USA Natural Jazz...it was awful compared to this beauty I have now. That pre-S1 cost me a little more than one of the new ones...probably because internet prices werent as vicious so they sold closer to retail.

I played a MIM Jazz, and yes it was decent, but it did not have that perfect Fender Jazz tone, and it was fairly heavy. Plus, the bridges/cases/necks/tuners are not upto spec with the new American Series.

£799-£850 for a new American Fender isnt that bad, I dont think. £1900 for a Sadowsky Metro is far too much.

Why do you think I bought three?!

But a MIM DOES get the job done pretty well :)

Edited by Musicman20

As with most things it seems to be the law of diminishing returns. 4 times the price probably won't make it 4 times better but there's a real kudos to playing a US built instrument (even a not so good one), and that makes it nicer to play. Maybe it is in the details like slightly smoother pots, better finished frets and more attention to blending the body sculpting, stuff like that that lifts some instruments above others. If you're hammering out E, A & D with a pick, through a distortion pedal and the bass hanging around your knees a cheaper bass might do you fine, but if you're into the detail and playability of your bass then the extra money is worth it.

i have owned a 77 and 75 p bass usa, two early japan e serial number p basses a p bass lyte, a geddy lee, a standard mexican p bass and i now own a hot rod p bass from the nineties i would say the p bass usa basses where better but i have never paid more than £500 for one which was the hot rod p bass i bought new

Edited by stu_g

[quote name='von Braun' post='634510' date='Oct 23 2009, 02:19 PM']The main difference seems to be the relative weakness of the MIM pick-ups.

I picked up a new MIM sunburst JB in 2006, swapped out the bridge for a Badass III, the white scratchplate for a Fender replacement tortoiseshell one (for that 62 reissue look) and a pair of classic Seymour Duncans and still saved myself £300 off the USA model. The Badass really helps with getting the action down, general intonation and definitely gives a beefier sound (as you'll know from the Geddy), I'm not sure why Fender don't fit them as standard. The SDs are just miles better than the standard pups.[/quote]

I have a MIM P bass, I love it and have no intention of replacing it, therefore I would be happy to spend a little on upgrading the pick -ups if it will improve the tone

What will the SDs do for it and how much are they?

Every Japanese Fender I've laid my hands on seemed to have a nice vibe to them, that little something you just can't explain. If you get the chance to go through a batch of Squiers there will also be one out there that also feels just right. Then, as others before have said, it's a case of upgrading the hardware. (Had a guitar shop once, hence have seen a few).

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='637005' date='Oct 26 2009, 03:57 PM']Every Japanese Fender I've laid my hands on seemed to have a nice vibe to them, that little something you just can't explain. If you get the chance to go through a batch of Squiers there will also be one out there that also feels just right. Then, as others before have said, it's a case of upgrading the hardware. (Had a guitar shop once, hence have seen a few).[/quote]
Me too, I got MM20's MIJ 62 P which is lovely, I had a MIJ Squier Silver Series Jazz, also lovely, I have a MIJ Squier Silver Series Telecaster guitar right now which has a glorious tone. I had MIJ Fender Strat which I so regret selling.

On thing, which I think Alex Claber might agree with, is to get one that's got a good unplugged tone. What I do too is play while resting my chin (teeth together) on the top of the upper horn, that will tell you loads about the inherent tone. Then stand the instrument on the floor, neck pointing upward, and put your chin on the face or side of the headstock, teeth closed of course, there should be a good level of tone and vibration coming through there too, almost as much as the body.

Edited by silddx

I have, and use A LOT, a 2003 MIA Jazz (with S1).
It's fantastic and the benchmark that all other basses have to live up to.......none have yet, and although I love my 1973 Jazz, that doesn't either (although it may well do after the refret it needs).

So although I agree that you probably have to shop around, and I'd probably go second hand as the RRP is a bit steep, I think they're worth a punt!

Si

[quote name='silddx' post='637232' date='Oct 26 2009, 07:27 PM']One thing, which I think Alex Claber might agree with, is to get one that's got a good unplugged tone. What I do too is play while resting my chin (teeth together) on the top of the upper horn, that will tell you loads about the inherent tone. Then stand the instrument on the floor, neck pointing upward, and put your chin on the face or side of the headstock, teeth closed of course, there should be a good level of tone and vibration coming through there too, almost as much as the body.[/quote]

Thank God I'm not the only person who does this! (Not the floor trick, mind!)
For those of you unfamilliar with this sensation, think back to when you were a kid and wedged your head between the headrests of the pair of seats in front of you on a coach.
(Don't tell me that only Silddx and I did this...!)

[attachment=35218:DSC00436.JPG]

My second 09 MIA P Bass....bought from Clarky. Absolutely mint, with the option of stock guard or this black one. Awesome bridge, brilliant new style necks, very precise tuners, excellent new cases. Somehow, it sounds better than the earlier series P's that I tested.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='637262' date='Oct 26 2009, 07:57 PM']Thank God I'm not the only person who does this! (Not the floor trick, mind!)
For those of you unfamilliar with this sensation, think back to when you were a kid and wedged your head between the headrests of the pair of seats in front of you on a coach.
(Don't tell me that only Silddx and I did this...!)[/quote]
:) :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, do check the headstock vibration, it tells you a lot about tone transfer through the whole instrument.

I had my hands on a beautiful '09 Precision 5 recently, and I can tell you, it was totally outstanding in every way. Comfortable, perfect fit and finish and a tone to die for, everything you could want in a bass. Waaaay the nicest Fender I've played in years. I echo what's been said before, these new '09 models seem to be a true return to form.

[quote name='lojo' post='636660' date='Oct 26 2009, 07:56 AM']I have a MIM P bass, I love it and have no intention of replacing it, therefore I would be happy to spend a little on upgrading the pick -ups if it will improve the tone

What will the SDs do for it and how much are they?[/quote]

Had the receipt in the case. For a pair of Jazz Bass Vintage SJN/B-1s it was £88 plus delivery back in 2007 (from GAK in Brighton), I think that was a sale price though. I'd imagine the SD P-bass quarter-pounder would be about £60 - 70 these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Im seriously considering purchasing an MIA 2008 P after trying one in a local shop. Ive tried various vintage instruments, some for stupid money, that didnt have the right sound for me - add to the fact that 70's P's can vary A LOT and dont grow on trees, and hopefully you can see where im coming from. I already have some nice "mojo" basses in my stable... do I need another one? For nearly double the price of a new one? Plus, ive never bought a new bass in my life - fact! - so maybe its time to try a new one out, a guitar to truly [i]"be mine"[/i] from the off. There's an awful lot of difference in prices over the internet - you can pick one up for £849 delivered with an SKB moulded case, pretty damn fine deal if you ask me.

I keep seeing people on here talking about the "new" MIA's (some like, some dont). Were the "new" ones introduced as of the start of 2008? I cant find anything to suggest any discernable difference between the 08 and 09 design for the MIA models - lots of blurb on t'interweb about the MIM's getting a2009 facelift but not the MIA's. Of course, as usual im happy to be told otherwise... Fender experts, fire away :)

Edited by Stag

[quote name='Stag' post='651013' date='Nov 10 2009, 08:34 PM']Im seriously considering purchasing an MIA 2008 P after trying one in a local shop. Ive tried various vintage instruments, some for stupid money, that didnt have the right sound for me. Plus, ive never bought a new bass in my life - fact! - so maybe its time to try a new one out, a guitar to truly "Be mine" from the off. There's an awful lot of difference in prices over the internet - you can pick one up for £849 delivered with an SKB moulded case, pretty damn fine deal if you ask me.

I keep seeing people on here talking about the "new" MIA's (some like, some dont). Were the "new" ones introduced as of the start of 2008? I cant find anything to suggest any discernable difference between the 08 and 09 design for the MIA models - lots of blurb on t'interweb about the MIM's getting a2009 facelift but not the MIA's. Of course, as usual im happy to be told otherwise... Fender experts, fire away :)[/quote]

Thew new series came out in 08, and continued on.

If its got flat pole pieces, rolled fingerboard, different bridge and different tuners, its the new model. If that SKB case is the new one, then yep, youve got the right one.

I REALLY like the new Fenders...and I think even at new prices they are a good buy considering you get an excellent case.

What colour?!

Yep, its got the new case and the new vintage bridge and all that stuff goin' on, diff tuners...

Im looking at sunburst with a tort pickguard 'cos James Jamerson's one just looks the absolute business. I dig your white ones though, that would be my second colour choice with the tort p'guard (already have a white...umm...actually maybe "nicotine yellow" aged Ric so fancy summat with a different colour).

I like the idea of a P as well as all my other basses are kinda, well, not the norm (I dont think of Rics as "normal" hehe) and I need a versatile weapon in case i try a different band / style of music out.