Why become a member? ×

He says this is 40 years old

Happy Jack

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-USA-Fender-Precision-Bass-Outstanding-condition_W0QQitemZ220494267622QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item33567b84e6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-USA-Fender-P...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='624623' date='Oct 13 2009, 12:19 AM']May just be a typo? He has the best rated feedback for a seller and he's not claiming it's 60s.[/quote]

"I doubt you'll find many vintage guitars or basses in such good condition, grab this while you can."

I'm always willing to give the benefit of the doubt but I honestly can't see how it could be a typo.

[quote name='Rowbee' post='624632' date='Oct 13 2009, 12:39 AM']"I doubt you'll find many vintage guitars or basses in such good condition, grab this while you can."

I'm always willing to give the benefit of the doubt but I honestly can't see how it could be a typo.[/quote]

As per the 2 replies below. If Clarky's assessment is right he could have typed 40 instead of 30. That was all I meant.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='625267' date='Oct 13 2009, 05:38 PM']If Clarky's assessment is right he could have typed 40 instead of 30. That was all I meant.[/quote]
I just typed the serial number into the Fender Serial Number Dater programme on the web, so I assume its correct (ie, 1978-81). My guess woudl also be that he mistyped 30 and wrote 40 instead.

Either way its a nice bass in very good nick

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='625580' date='Oct 13 2009, 10:48 PM']No-one's commented on the obviously askew nature of the actual serial number........................

:rolleyes:

G.[/quote]

.................and that's why I'll never buy an old/vintage/collectors Bass off e-bay or wherever. I'm ripe for being scammed, because I can't see anything wrong with it. :)

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='624534' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:53 PM']really cant be bothered to tell him. Bless our US cousins![/quote]

I thought item location said Manchester UK.

Quick look at serial number S9 + 5 digits indicates '79. Poor math or poor typing. Nonetheless this still counts as an misleading description.

[quote name='wesfinn' post='628957' date='Oct 17 2009, 07:18 PM']yeah could be anything between 79 and 82 as this serial number was for all of these years. i had a sienna burst one in better condition than this. looks lovely though. i reckon the guys just mis-typed.[/quote]

My 70's (77 or 78) precision has a rosewood fingerboard, but no "skunk stripe" cos the truss rod went in from the front. Did this change later on? Or has the neck been replaced?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='625580' date='Oct 13 2009, 09:48 PM']No-one's commented on the obviously askew nature of the actual serial number........................

:)

G.[/quote]

Lots of late 70s numbers are like that. Most likely 81-83, with that P/U, board, no covers or holes for them. The '79 (S9) serial number refers to the neck only - pots & P/U is best ref for dates, but lots of 'parts' used by Fender in this era - a most unlikely scam.