Why become a member? ×

Has Leo Quan gone bust ?

Wayne Firefly

Been searching for a Badass 3 (4str) in nickel and everywhere seems to be sold out / out of stock / etc etc etc......
after a scan about, what other bridge has the same screw mounting holes as a 3 hole / string thru Am Series or Standard Fender ????

Edited by Wayne Firefly

From a couple of guys I deal with in the US I've heard rumours of cease and desist orders (or whetever the actual term is) being placed on the manufacturers of several aftermarket bass components that are built specificaly for certain brands. The two names that I've heard mentioned are Leo Quan and Hipshot, both of whom make bridges that are not only direct replacements for the stock bridges on Fender and Ric basses, but are also marketed with the explicit message that they provide substantial improvements in tone and function over the stock items on these (which is supportable but not always true, IMO most Precisions sound a whole lot better with the old stock Fender bridges). Given Ric's reputation for resorting to law at the slightest provocation, and Fender's recent investment in much more substantial components (which must have hit their bottom line pretty hard), I guess it was only a matter of time before they tried to stop other companies profiting from the popularity of their products. Not sure whether the move - if indeed there is a move - will ultimately be counter-productive in the long run?
Chris

[quote name='ped' post='626266' date='Oct 14 2009, 06:29 PM']I might be wrong but I think Schaller £D bridges 3 hole arrangement are a direct fit onto a fender. far better bridges than the Badass, too, in my opinion!

ped[/quote]
They are, and (imo) they are. However you do need to drill 3 holes for the Schaller's main screws - it has two smaller screwholes which line up with the 2nd & 4th original holes, to allow the new ones to be marked/drilled accurately.

Great bridges, cheaper, better looking & much more versatile than the BA2

Jon.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='626274' date='Oct 14 2009, 06:40 PM']Not forgetting that Fender actually use Leo Quan bridges.[/quote]
First thing I thought, on the Geddy & Marcus for starters. These are sig models & as such should remain accurate - what's the sense in Fender shutting down their supplier?

As far as the Hipshot Rick bridge's concerned, it seems the only complaint RIC had was the basic footprint shape - even John Hall admitted it was a good product & he'd have no issues with it if it didn't infringe the copyright of the original. I understood it had actually been redesigned to be acceptable.

J.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='626282' date='Oct 14 2009, 06:50 PM']First thing I thought, on the Geddy & Marcus for starters. These are sig models & as such should remain accurate - what's the sense in Fender shutting down their supplier?[/quote]
Fender also use the Badass II on their latest "Highway One" Precision and Jazz...

i think nothing will happen. i can't see how this is a problem for Fender or Rickenbacker, you still have to buy the bass to be able to replace the parts. Should they then send out C&D's to the pickup maker who make them to fit Fenders and Rics?

[quote name='nash' post='626461' date='Oct 14 2009, 09:56 PM']i think nothing will happen. i can't see how this is a problem for Fender or Rickenbacker, you still have to buy the bass to be able to replace the parts. Should they then send out C&D's to the pickup maker who make them to fit Fenders and Rics?[/quote]

RIC will do exactly that if the pickup looks anything like the original - all their designs are registered as trademarks.

J.

[quote name='Beedster' post='626257' date='Oct 14 2009, 06:20 PM']....From a couple of guys I deal with in the US I've heard rumours of cease and desist orders (or whetever the actual term is) being placed on the manufacturers of several aftermarket bass components that are built specificaly for certain brands....[/quote]
I thought that you couldn't put another company out of business with these orders.

[quote name='nash' post='626461' date='Oct 14 2009, 09:56 PM']i think nothing will happen. i can't see how this is a problem for Fender or Rickenbacker, you still have to buy the bass to be able to replace the parts. Should they then send out C&D's to the pickup maker who make them to fit Fenders and Rics?[/quote]

Agreed, but I think that now Fender are selling aftermarket High Mass Vintage Bridges (and have sold PUPs and other components for many years) they would rather any Fender owner who wants an upgraded bridge buys one of theirs and not one of their competitors'.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='626535' date='Oct 14 2009, 11:08 PM']Could the plan be to ruin the businesses and then buy them up for themselves?[/quote]

Cynic. Then again, how many companies have Fender acquired over the years? :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='626903' date='Oct 15 2009, 01:42 PM']I think they're actually cease and desist letters, not orders, ie. forceful requests from a possible party to future litigation as opposed to an order of a court.[/quote]

Yes, I think that's the case, but I'm sure that for a relatively small company such a letter from Ric or Fender's lawyers probably gives them cause to slow/stop production and seek legal advice (or redesign which I believe is what Hipshot have done with the Ric bridge). It's interesting that - as is mentioned above - the SD 'replacement for Ric 4003' PUPs don't actually fit the Ric pickguard (neck) or PUP surround (bridge), and either look crap when installed, or require some considerable work and expense to get the bass looking and playing OK. I doubt this is due to a measurement cock-up at SD :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

I was talking to Charlie Chandler today and asked him what did he know about Leo Quan and the scarse availability of their Badass bridges, apparently production it is on a hault at the moment due to Glen Quan's ill health, however there is a high level of interest from Fender to buy off the design rights and the manuafcturing plant, but no one really knows when that will happen.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='848096' date='May 25 2010, 11:20 PM']I was talking to Charlie Chandler today and asked him what did he know about Leo Quan and the scarse availability of their Badass bridges, apparently production it is on a hault at the moment due to Glen Quan's ill health ...[/quote]

If that's accurate it doesn't say much for Leo Quan's corporate structuring. I'd fully expect any corporation with a structural issue of that order to go bust.