Why become a member? ×

*RESOLVED* What should i do?

lemmywinks

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='620337' date='Oct 8 2009, 10:39 AM']Purely out of curiosity did he give any reason for the inital non payment ?[/quote]
I'd also like to know but it's probably a private matter between the two parties.

My initial thought was he was having some problems, some people don't deal with things well and end up pissing people off due to avoidance. How many times have you been scared to look at your bank balance or communicate with your bank when you've been in the financial sh*t? When if you took some control and talked to your bank, things would probably be ok and you would feel a lot better.

Hopefully, Jamie has apologised and normal service will be resumed.

[quote name='silddx' post='620346' date='Oct 8 2009, 10:44 AM']I'd also like to know but it's probably a private matter between the two parties.

My initial thought was he was having some problems, some people don't deal with things well and end up pissing people off due to avoidance. How many times have you been scared to look at your bank balance or communicate with your bank when you've been in the financial sh*t? When if you took some control and talked to your bank, things would probably be ok and you would feel a lot better.

Hopefully, Jamie has apologised and normal service will be resumed.[/quote]

that was exactly the point I was trying to make just in case the guy had a genuine reason for not initally paying but its a private matter so I'll drop it

While it's perhaps commendable for us to examine why this may have possibly happened, I can't find it in my self to excuse buying a bass (of any value) off a guy and royally mucking him about (let's not forget Gumtree) when you ain't got the funds to start with. I'm sorry for this less than benevolent attitude, I guess I'm still pissed that it was a fellow Scot that instigated this rubbish. I remember a rash of bogus sellers apparently coming from Orkney sullying our reputation north of the border with a broad sweep. It can be hard enough for us sometimes to trade with the community because of our geographical "handicap", we certainly don't need to make it any more difficult for ourselves.

I also believe in response to this, that Jamie, once payment has been made, should be given the benefit of the doubt and left alone. He's obviously got himself into a mess and is proposing to do the right thing. Let's hope that happens, and forget the whole nasty incident.

Just remember folks, be very careful buying and selling to people you don't know. Check feedback and ask lots of questions.

Hopefully a happy ending.

Wow.. just read this end to end. I'm glad it seems to be sorting out ok.
Remember we do seem to be something of a dependable community.. case in point is alexclaber of Barefaced fame:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53414"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53414[/url]
Nice bit of free advertising on his part, but he's never met or spoken to me before so I really do appreciate the trust he's shown there!

Good to hear it sorted. I agree with everyone else sayin he should be left alone since he has/is paid back and i welcome him back into the open arms of BC. Just shows you gotta watch who your selling/buying from because this could easily been someone who didnt have much info left around and the bass and the money never heard from again.

Again good to hear its sorted

EDIT: And thankfully bringing the glaswegian name back

Edited by Metalmoore

[quote name='Rayman' post='620402' date='Oct 8 2009, 11:28 AM']I also believe in response to this, that Jamie, once payment has been made, should be given the benefit of the doubt and left alone. He's obviously got himself into a mess and is proposing to do the right thing. Let's hope that happens, and forget the whole nasty incident.

Just remember folks, be very careful buying and selling to people you don't know. Check feedback and ask lots of questions.[/quote]

+1 in absolute agreement

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='620514' date='Oct 8 2009, 01:15 PM']Glad it's sorted.

I wonder if there'll be a listing in Glasgow gumtree: "tartan trousers - slightly soiled"[/quote]

:) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='KevB' post='620522' date='Oct 8 2009, 01:23 PM']I'm on the verge of selling to someone on this forum who I don't know (and he equally doesn't know me) and there's a sight more money involved than in lemmy's deal. Gettin all twitchy about it now...[/quote]

How long has the other BCer been a member? If it's not long i'd say wait until you receive the money or goods. If you know another BCer close by maybe you could use them as a 3rd party (or bag-man :lol: )
Jamie hadn't been a member for long when we did the deal and hadn't got any feedback, a big oversight on my part.

If someone has been a member for a while it's likely other BCers have been to their house, have them on MSN and Facebook, etc.

It's surprising just how much information you can get on someone just by having a few details. I was able to contact Jamie's family, friends, band members (and their families), also finding out about projects he had been involved with with more information and cotact numbers. All from an hour with a search engine

How ever it did mean i had to listen to TRex videos on youtube so it wasn't all easy

Another point I'd make is that during many [i]MANY[/i] deals and transactions I've been involved in on Basschat, I have never, not once, had a problem. The vast majority of people here are the salt of the earth, even if we do disagree on music etc, we're all good people and here for the right reasons, to talk about bass guitars, and buy and sell to and from like minded people.

Basschat is a great place to be, and a valuable resource for all of us, but just remember there are one or two bad eggs in all walks of life, and here's no different, just be vigilant when sending valuable gear or cash around the country.

Again, for what it's worth, I don't believe Jamie is a bad agg, I think he's backed himself into a corner and got into a mess, but hopefully it's soon to be sorted.

Live and let live, it takes a big man to forgive a small man's faults.