Why become a member? ×

Opinions on Custom Shop Fenders please

Sibob

What you need is a REAL handmade bass built by an individual craftsman using age-old techniques and archaic designs. Something that involves carefully-selected woods, animal glue, and nitro-cellulose. An instrument with an iconic reputation that can be instantly recognised anywhere in the world.

Si, what you need is:

[attachment=33866:500.1_19...Front__2.JPG]

:)

The MB that I had was certainly not a meccano affair - there must be some machine work, and some parts were standard, of course. However, I suspect strongly that there was a significant level of hand shaping, fitting and finishing involved. I've been playing (Fenders from all periods and across the price range) for well over 30 years (yikes!) and can claim with some confidence that the Masterbuilt was 'different' (and 'better different') when compared to it's less expensive counterparts. That said, as noted earlier, I've encountered some CS Fenders that weren't great.

I now play - amongst others but as one of my main basses - an Alleva Coppolo. It's beautifully built from the ground up. The construction of the Fender Masterbuilt was in the same league. The timbers too appeared to be of a very high quality - maybe not in Alleva/Alembic/Fodera territory, but very good indeed

Edit: oops - perhaps I should also add that the MB looked absolutely bl**dy gorgeous. When it was in the Gallery for a set-up, opening the case elicited some very approving cooing and oohs and ahhs from the assembled clientele (some of them very well known players)

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='lozbass' post='614054' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:08 PM']I now play - amongst others but as one of my main basses - an Alleva Coppolo. It's beautifully built from the ground up. The construction of the Fender Masterbuilt was in the same league. The timbers too appeared to be of a very high quality - maybe not in Alleva/Alembic/Fodera territory, but very good indeed[/quote]

Interesting info Lozz. I've never played a Masterbuild so I wouldn't know whether there's a huge leap in quality from the mass produced CS models (and of course I might have just been unlucky with my CSs anyway). All the more reason to play before you buy though Si :) .

[quote name='bh2' post='614050' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:03 PM']Got to love that sonic blue Jazz... way out of my league money wise... how much?[/quote]

Slightly OT but I love it more than I should. It's used and available at Rumbleseat in the US. I can't remember exactly, but I think they're asking $4750

[quote name='Beedster' post='614060' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:12 PM']I've never played a Masterbuild so I wouldn't know whether there's a huge leap in quality from the mass produced CS models (and of course I might have just been unlucky with my CSs anyway). All the more reason to play before you buy though Si :) .[/quote]

Hi Beedster, I couldn't agree more. I've bought a few basses without playing them and have been really lucky. Those that weren't perfect at first usually managed to shine with a good set-up. If at all possible, I'd always recommend trying a bass before buying - this is one of the luxuries that isn't available with a custom order (and one of the reasons I tend to buy used customs rather than commissioning new)

So the other point that Beedster bought up was the fact that CS's are mass produced (to a degree obviously)!?

If I'm after a non-standard colour (sonic blue), with binding and different frets, would you have thought that there'd be more attention given to the build than say a stock CS '64 NOS?

Si

p.s.
Jack, lovely bass mate....but I think I want something with an adult width neck lol

[quote name='chris_b' post='613492' date='Oct 1 2009, 12:25 AM']Overpriced![/quote]

My experience is based on owning two Strats. Unfortunately both proved to be horrendously disappointing instruments, the gold plate lifting within a matter of weeks on both being only one item on a long list of failings. That one word, overpriced, says it all as far as I'm concerned.

Si,

The truth as hinted at by the Beedster is that QC wise they are no better or worse than any other Fender -

What I mean by that is that it could be an absolute peach or a bit of a dog, you can never tell until you get your hands on it.

My experience is that I had a CS P (from the same ltd edition that the Beedster owned) and whilst it was comprised of some lovely components, it seemed like it was put together by a primary school kid. Basically I had to take it apart and put it together properly before I could set it up. That being said after I had it was a lovely bass.

The current owner is as happy as a dog with 2 tails.

[quote name='Sibob' post='613706' date='Oct 1 2009, 11:49 AM'][url="http://img139.imageshack.us/i/03fenderjazzbasssonicbl.jpg/"][/url][/quote]

Beautiful. I always have a little bit of GAS for these transition bound, but dotted necks. Unbelieveably sexy.

I've not played a better "70s" Jazz than my Celinder. I have played a variety of "70s" CS basses. That said, the Celinder has it's faults - and getting a new one is apparently nigh-on impossible.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='614350' date='Oct 1 2009, 11:05 PM']What I'd fear most is the risk of this;

[i]Good[/i] MIA MIJ CIJ MIM > [i]Friday afternoon[/i] CS.
I'd like to think that the MB might be immune to this...

ALWAYS. Try before you buy.

(Unless it's dirt cheap)[/quote]

Now that sums up my views on everything above perfectly :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='614405' date='Oct 2 2009, 12:10 AM']I don't understand how any CS Fenders are allowed out if they are not up to top standard ...[/quote]

I often wonder if it's a case that the not-so-good Custom Shop guitars and basses are exported and the cream of the crop kept in the States?

[quote name='jonthebass' post='614507' date='Oct 2 2009, 08:56 AM']I often wonder if it's a case that the not-so-good Custom Shop guitars and basses are exported and the cream of the crop kept in the States?[/quote]

Is there a Grassy Knoll involved in this theory?

:)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='jonthebass' post='614507' date='Oct 2 2009, 08:56 AM']I often wonder if it's a case that the not-so-good Custom Shop guitars and basses are exported and the cream of the crop kept in the States?[/quote]
That definitely happens with Gibsons so I can't see why it wouldn't with Fender.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='614801' date='Oct 2 2009, 01:45 PM']What strange logic...[/quote]
Why is it strange logic?
They're both Huge American Guitar producers who charge ridiculous prices for instruments that are wildly inconsistant because they know they can put out any old piece of crap & a it'll sell purely because of what it says on the headstock.
If one company is happy to treat a sizeable percentage of it's customers with contempt & basically say "f*** Europe, we'll send 'em the stuff our shops turn down" ( I was told this by a Gibson employee at the Frankfurt music fair about 25 years ago) I have no trouble at all believing the other wouldn't do exactly the same.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' post='614970' date='Oct 2 2009, 04:55 PM']Why is it strange logic?
They're both Huge American Guitar producers who charge ridiculous prices for instruments that are wildly inconsistant because they know they can put out any old piece of crap & a it'll sell purely because of what it says on the headstock.
If one company is happy to treat a sizeable percentage customers with contempt & basically say "f*** Europe, we'll send 'em the stuff our shops turn down" ( I was told this by a Gibson employee at the Frankfurt music fair about 25 years ago) I have no trouble at all believing the other wouldn't do exactly the same.[/quote]

25 years ago is the dark ages in music retailing, (or any retailing).
Pre-Internet, pre information flying around in an instant, Harmony Central, online independant reviews, Talkbass and Basschat, pre mass production with high QC in the far east and, anyway, that's just one employee and probaby a salesman at that.

[quote name='RhysP' post='614970' date='Oct 2 2009, 04:55 PM']Why is it strange logic?
If one company is happy to treat a sizeable percentage of it's customers with contempt & basically say "f*** Europe, we'll send 'em the stuff our shops turn down" ( I was told this by a Gibson employee at the Frankfurt music fair about 25 years ago) I have no trouble at all believing the other wouldn't do exactly the same.[/quote]
That's roughly how I first heard it too - although not 25 years ago, more like 2 years ago - and specifically about Gibson.

Of course, I have no idea if it's true.

I would think that with the volumes Fender ship, any weeding out of the good stuff to keep in the States would be too labour intensive nowadays. My recent brushes with Fender have been a bit disappointing. However, my brother has one of the the new 2009 Strats and it is a really, really good guitar.

Whether custom shop is worth it? That's tricky...