Why become a member? ×

Opinions on Custom Shop Fenders please

Sibob

I'm no bass expert, consider myself a rank amateur really as I've never played live. I do like decent instruments though and I couldn't resist a custom shop Reggie Hamilton V that I nabbed off of eBay this year for around £1100. It is my favourite bass that I have ever laid my hands on and I really do feel that it is 100% the bass that I want to spend the rest of my life with, to have and to hold, in slickness and wealth, forever and ever ....etc etc.

So yeah, I'm a fan of CS.

[quote name='Golchen' post='615266' date='Oct 2 2009, 09:34 PM']I'm no bass expert, consider myself a rank amateur really as I've never played live. I do like decent instruments though and I couldn't resist a custom shop Reggie Hamilton V that I nabbed off of eBay this year for around £1100. It is my favourite bass that I have ever laid my hands on and I really do feel that it is 100% the bass that I want to spend the rest of my life with, to have and to hold, in slickness and wealth, forever and ever ....etc etc.

So yeah, I'm a fan of CS.[/quote]

Goodness. I hope it works for you in a live gig situatio, if you ever do ...

How about a basschat Fender special edition? The first dudepit special edition Steve Barr organised was a Fender - off the top of my head I'm pretty sure it was a sonic blue jazz with MHS. It don't cost much more than a stock MIA and the run was only 25-30 or thereabouts.

[quote name='BB2000' post='615288' date='Oct 2 2009, 09:50 PM']How about a basschat Fender special edition? The first dudepit special edition Steve Barr organised was a Fender - off the top of my head I'm pretty sure it was a sonic blue jazz with MHS. It don't cost much more than a stock MIA and the run was only 25-30 or thereabouts.[/quote]
My recollection is sea foam green but you could be correct.

I've owned two Fender CS jazz basses. The first one, to be honest, I got because of what it said on the headstock and didn't really buy it on it's merits as a bass. I could not get on with it at all. The body was slightly shorter than normal and it it felt as if I was really stretching to play on the 1st fret. It came from PMT in Southend and was bought by a mate of mine. I swapped him an Eden CXC300 combo and my standard USA jazz. Big mistake. Having said that, the non-playability was down to the dimensions of the bass and not the build quality. It was superbly put together and had a fabulous sound.

I then got my current one. Also superbly built with no issues whatsoever and with normal dimensions for a jazz, a breeze to play. This one has Sadowsky pups and a badass and apparently was some sort of proto for one of the sig models which never materialized and was just sold off. When I fancy a turn on a 4 string, this is the only bass for me. The build quality is second to none for a Fender. But, in all fairness, it plays no better than my last standard USA jazz which was bought (again from PMT) after trying all 11 USA jazz basses in stock till I found "the one"

You could be in bass heaven, you could be dissapointed. It all depends on the actual instrument so as long as you don't buy blind, you should get your dream bass.

The way I see it is that they're not work the £2.5K+

I nearly bought a '64 Dakota Red relic'd Jazz with - supposedly - a Brazilizan rosewood 'board. It didn't look like Brazilian rosewood but I guess it depends from what part of the tree it was taken from. The pots had next to no travel on them in terms of roll-off: you backed the pot off a touch and the whole signal just about disappeared! You'd be better of keeping that £2.5K and surfing ishibashi for a few months and picking up some lovely, unique fender Jap basses.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='614527' date='Oct 2 2009, 09:21 AM']I've often wondered the same thing myself...[/quote]

Yeh, I'm inclined to agree. the Seppos also act like a bunch of magpies when it comes to Rick basses. You should see the state some of them get into on a certain rick forum when something tasty pops up on evilbay. They have a pecking order over who gets 'first dibs' (WTF??) on an instrument before the auction's even over!

Edited by Stacker

I've think I've been lucky to own good examples of the common types of Fender...

Beedsters old MIA Precision (aka Kylie) *tried*
The CIJ PB70-US/ASH that I bought from Japan *bought blind*
My Tony Franklin fretless *bought blind*
My current CS Pino Palladino *tried*

All 4 of those were/are great basses - I've also owned 2 Sadowsky Metro's. I think I can only echo the same comment though - if you can "try before you buy". If I were to have paid RRP for the Pino Palladino I would have probably set unrealistic expectations for it - and you know what they say about expectations...

But as it was, bought second hand from a pro player, I utterly loved it from the 2nd unplugged note I played. For £1500 it was everything I was looking for in a P bass. The problem I found with the Sadowskys is they are a very modern take on the Fender vibe. Yes the quality is great, yes they look the part, but do they sound like an old Fender. Definately not in my opinion.

Getting a CS for the cost of a Metro or less sounds like a winner to me. I'd be willing to take the risk :)