Why become a member? ×

Riders

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='611378' date='Sep 28 2009, 10:32 PM']Do you have riders at your gigs? Do you turn up expecting to be fed and watered, only to find the dressing room fridge is empty? Do you have Spinal-Tap demands? Cans of coke or lines of coke?

Pray tell.[/quote]

i think generally if a promoter has put the gig on or you've been booked by a client / venue it's not unreasonable to expect a few beers and/or soft drinks. anything else and i'm stoked!!!!!

Ha ha nah, don't be daft.

Mind you we are not famous like you .. Bob Harris name checks eh? Wow! Can I get your autograph when you play The Globe? :)

We ask them to tell us if there is or isn't food for us so we can get a sandwich beforehand if needed and we suggest that buying the band a drink is good practice but they don't always have the capacity to worry about us as they are generally very busy with their wedding or fundraising stuff ...

[quote name='mike257' post='611423' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:06 PM']I did a Carling Academy tour once and we got properly looked after - butties, crisps, beer and water in the dressing room, and buy-outs for dinner too! Made a nice change, most gigs I've done we're lucky to get a pint or two, never mind getting fed.[/quote]

oh aye, that reminds me of the BBC, they were awesome to us!!!! soft drinks, deli sannys, posh biccies, now i know where the license fee goes!!!! :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='611400' date='Sep 28 2009, 10:44 PM']Ha ha nah, don't be daft.

Mind you we are not famous like you .. Bob Harris name checks eh? Wow! Can I get your autograph when you play The Globe? :lol:

We ask them to tell us if there is or isn't food for us so we can get a sandwich beforehand if needed and we suggest that buying the band a drink is good practice but they don't always have the capacity to worry about us as they are generally very busy with their wedding or fundraising stuff ...[/quote]

Having said that last week we played a wedding where they had a cheesecake... Their wedding cake was a huge stilton topped by a huge french soft cheese wheel and a heart of cheese.... :)

We all went home with wedges of fabbo cheese, Grommet :rolleyes:

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='611432' date='Sep 28 2009, 10:13 PM']When we do Weddings and Functions we always make sure we are fed and watered as part of the deal.
Best deal we had was at a Restuarant Function where we were offered "anything off the a la carte menu". Yep, Rock n roll.....[/quote]

That is sweet.

Si apparently the globe has lost it's music license

Depends if we are talking about riders being a part of the contract.

Most better-paying gigs will feed you and buy you a drink and that is great but that is different from having certain items specified to be provided in the contract rider, IME

Personally, I am happy which ever way it comes.. but I don't expect so much as a drink from a hard pressed pub gig..and if they offer one, then that is a bonus..

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='611484' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:54 PM']I found a great site the other day on celebrity riders but can't find the link now... if it does show up, I'll post it. It was very eye opening![/quote]
Axl rose has had some good ones... the stuck up prat

EDIT: this one isn't so bad but still kinda funny

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='nash' post='611447' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:21 PM']That is sweet.

Si apparently the globe has lost it's music license[/quote]

Sorry thread derail coming up...

Ok Don't panic ...

It's had a cease and desist due to noise complaints BUT they are appealing and whilst that goes on so do the gigs, or so the local rag says.
the appeal is for more time to sort the extra sound proofing out. This was planned but needs a bit more funding.

[url="http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-and-lifestyle/showbiz/2009/09/22/cardiff-s-globe-has-live-music-licence-revoked-91466-24747523/"]Read all about the retired vicar planning to spoil 30,000 people's fun[/url]

Ok, thread back on track again

Best rider and other stage requirements by a mile is [url="http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1004061iggypop1.html"]Iggy Pop's[/url]

18 pages and includes an idea for a reality TV show....

"Shine stage lights directly into Mr Pop's eyes and he will find the lighting director after the show and eat his entire family"

On a wedding gig or similar it's usually contracted that we get free soft
drinks and food-sometimes it's buffet or hog roast,other times full sit down meal.
If it's a club or pub I would hope to get at least one drink out of them,but
I won't demand it. Places like Chicago Rock's usually give you a few drinks tokens
and 50% off food(sometimes free,but rarely).

I think if you are there for a long period you should really be fed and watered.
As long as bands don't start making demands most gigs will be happy to give
you something.

But...never expect anything,that way anything you do get will be a bonus.

Edited by Doddy

For function gigs we always ask that we get fed and watered, it's not a problem for most clients. I've played a couple of military bases where we've ended up having a full Christmas dinner before we played. We used to have a regular gig at an Indian restaurant/nightclub where we'd get a free curry as part of the deal. Almost never get free drinks at pub gigs.

On tour a few years ago supporting Lowgold:

We got a menu to choose our dinner from at King Tuts and fridge full of beer/water with our name on it.

At the Wedgewood rooms no drink but a massive school dinner like feast.

Liverpool Uni gave us sandwiches and a crate of Stella.

Lowgold had a bottle of gin specified on their rider every night which we shared on a couple of nights. At the end of the tour they gave us any unopened bottles that had been saved.

Nowadays lucky to get anything, except for one local venue that you get beer etc backstage.

If there is a buffet we always get a plate.
If its a dinner dance we sometimes get a hot meal in another room while people are eating or at least sandwiches.
At one club we played regularly we got free soft drinks all night and staff price for a meal if we wanted one.