Why become a member? ×

How deep are your pockets!?

WalMan

So I was wandering around Brighton today while MrsW was at the Psychic Fair in Hove Town Hall (or Psycho Fair as ma in law calls it :)). Wandered into GAK to talk to the chaps & see what was new. Bass Dept closed but saw the chap I normally chat with (whose name I REALLY should know by now :rolleyes: ) and he opened up with a cry of "I must show you what we've just got in" and here it is - with apologies for the poor quality of the snap on my phone
[url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url]
Had a little noodle and it is gorgeous. The top looks beautiful. Sounds good. The neck is great, though after my L2500 feels tiny. Weighs a ton, probably something to do with the 5 PP3's it has inside it to run 2 x 18v preamps and the lights on the top of the neck.

Luckily for my hide I managed to keep the plastic in check as it's up for £3,999 and MrsW would still be berating me now if I hadn't.

On a separate note they are expecting some Spectors in soon

[quote name='Balcro' post='604440' date='Sep 21 2009, 12:48 PM']Eeeuck! Is that really a bass in spalted pink dapple?[/quote]

The wood panelling behind the bass has a pinkish hue to it too - I think that it's possible that any apparent pinkness is actually caused by the camera, or its operator. But I don't know for certain.

S.P.

[quote name='Balcro' post='604440' date='Sep 21 2009, 12:48 PM']Eeeuck! Is that really a bass in spalted pink dapple? I'm sorry, we obviously don't share the same taste in basses.[/quote]
There's no spalting on that bass at all, it's quilted maple.
As for the colour I think you'll probably find it's a natural finish & there's a colour cast on the photo.

[quote name='RhysP' post='604488' date='Sep 21 2009, 01:27 PM']There's no spalting on that bass at all, it's quilted maple.
As for the colour I think you'll probably find it's a natural finish & there's a colour cast on the photo.[/quote]
Yup, it's a cr@p photo in difficult light on a 2 megapixel Nokia phone. In the flesh it looks a whole lot nicer - but clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I lusted after one for ages in my formative bass years, but couldn't afford it then or now and would probably be to scared to take it out to some of the dives we play at

I always liked the theory of Alembics - advanced electronics, luthiery(?) etc. but in practice I don't understand why they didn't apply a bit of that thought to making them lighter and better balanced. There again I couldn't ever imagine having a spare 4 grand burning a hole in my pocket so I couldn't say I never would. I'd want alot of other things first though, and not just bass related stuff :)

[quote name='WalMan' post='604036' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:17 PM']Weighs a ton, probably something to do with the 5 PP3's it has inside it to run 2 x 18v preamps and the lights on the top of the neck.[/quote]
Do Alembics not come with the phantom powering module anymore then?
5 batteries is a bit silly.

Edited by RhysP

Actually, all the Alembics up close I have seen, looked like pigs ears... all those switches, XLR slots... all look ed way too Heath Robinson to me.
Played well for the time they were out there, just an old relic now..and more likely surpassed by the top luthiers ..

But if they are your thing, then cough up...