Why become a member? ×

How deep are your pockets!?

WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' post='604036' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:17 PM']So I was wandering around Brighton today while MrsW was at the Psychic Fair in Hove Town Hall (or Psycho Fair as ma in law calls it :)). Wandered into GAK to talk to the chaps & see what was new. Bass Dept closed but saw the chap I normally chat with (whose name I REALLY should know by now :rolleyes: ) and he opened up with a cry of "I must show you what we've just got in" and here it is - with apologies for the poor quality of the snap on my phone
[url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url]
Had a little noodle and it is gorgeous. The top looks beautiful. Sounds good. The neck is great, though after my L2500 feels tiny. Weighs a ton, probably something to do with the 5 PP3's it has inside it to run 2 x 18v preamps and the lights on the top of the neck.

Luckily for my hide I managed to keep the plastic in check as it's up for £3,999 and MrsW would still be berating me now if I hadn't.

On a separate note they are expecting some Spectors in soon[/quote]

I'm beginning to think I underpriced my Triple O when I sold it. It had several options on it, none of them cheap; it was much higher spec than that appears to be (unless it has LEDs which would bump the price a fair bit).

JTUK, have you played a recent one? I haven't found them to be surpassed by anything (and I've played most things), and would certainly not consider them an "old relic". I personally think a modern top of the range Alembic is the highest quality bass on the planet.

Edited by 4000

4000, not played one recently, granted, but I always thought the ones I have seen were as I described...

Didn't mind the woods or the weight so much as this had a bit of craft about it, but the hardware like the bridge, pups etc did not wear at all well

Some bassses of a certain vintage, I can see what all the fuss is about but for quite a few names, I can't...IMV

I've played a maple faced MK Sig in the past and it was a great bass, very growly. If anyone was interested in an Alembic for live situations, this one would be a winner. £4k is a bit steep but Alembic don't price them to appeal to the mass market.

[quote name='henry norton' post='604559' date='Sep 21 2009, 02:17 PM']I always liked the theory of Alembics - advanced electronics, luthiery(?) etc. but in practice I don't understand why they didn't apply a bit of that thought to making them lighter and better balanced. There again I couldn't ever imagine having a spare 4 grand burning a hole in my pocket so I couldn't say I never would. I'd want alot of other things first though, and not just bass related stuff :rolleyes:[/quote]

Alembic have moved on since the early days - I had the good luck to try out a Balance-K Series I in New York recently. The new body shape balances much better than the older shapes, is lighter (it's nice to play an Alembic that's under 10lbs) and is a lot more comfortable, not to mention more contemporary-looking.

I'd love one if they weren't so bloody expensive. £4k is actually fairly cheap for a new Alembic! You can option them up to over £10k. :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='605267' date='Sep 22 2009, 08:30 AM']Played well for the time they were out there, just an old relic now..and more likely surpassed by the top luthiers ..[/quote]

What planet are you on? Alembic have continued to push boundaries and they are still as popular as ever. I'd go as far as to say that no other luthier can compete with Alembic in terms of sheer talent and skill when it comes to making high end basses.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='606449' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:04 AM']What planet are you on? Alembic have continued to push boundaries and they are still as popular as ever. I'd go as far as to say that no other luthier can compete with Alembic in terms of sheer talent and skill when it comes to making high end basses.[/quote]

yep..see them used all the time... :) and you can go as far as you like, but I don't agree...

Never a style I could appreciate aesthetically, nor could I really get past the naffness of the ark King association, but.... to someone who likes Mark King (and I'm not stupid enough to think he isn't a very talented musician, his stuff just is not to my taste) and whose instrumental preferences veer towards this style of exotica, it'd bevery attractive I'm sure. I certainly was always impressed with their QC. The price is way more than I'd ever be prepared to pay for a bass, but then compared to similar consumer exotica - say, a Rolex watch - it's not that shocking that it will sell.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='637675' date='Oct 27 2009, 10:23 AM']is that bass still there? Is it a 34" scale? I know not everyone likes it, but i do...a lot.
Hmmmmm, part ex my bongo and jaydee? Hmmmm?[/quote]

Hello Andy. This bass is no longer in store. It didn't actually belong to us and was on the wall as part of a larger commission sale. However, if you are serious about it, PM me and I may well be able to speak to it's owner about a deal.

Mark

thanks, i think even chopping two basses in, i'd still be a grand short.
Would the person involed care for trades?
I'm trying to get rid of a few more of my own before deciding on what to have made for me...
I'm stuck in 2 minds, something like this alembic or a trad fender type thing.
Band or personal enjoyment.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='637725' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:08 AM']thanks, i think even chopping two basses in, i'd still be a grand short.
Would the person involed care for trades?
I'm trying to get rid of a few more of my own before deciding on what to have made for me...
I'm stuck in 2 minds, something like this alembic or a trad fender type thing.
Band or personal enjoyment.[/quote]

Andy, I've PM'd you regarding the Alembic.

M