Why become a member? ×

How many strings on a standard bass guitar?

JimBobTTD

I recall reading a seemingly throwaway comment on Talkbass a while back which went something like this:

"[blah blah blah], which is why five string is the new standard for bass guitar."

Has there been a shift towards 5 strings to such an extent that playing 4 strings equates to being old fashioned?

What do you people think? Do you play "the new standard" or not? Does the author of the aforementioned comment have too strong a bond to modern metal music, and perhaps sees [i]this music[/i] as standard?

I created a poll on BC a while back and it basically confirmed that 4 is still the standard but perhaps 5 is catching up.

That's this side of the pond but I suspect the same would be said over there.

Interestingly I'm using a 5 now pretty exclusively as swapping between the 2 isn't helping my acclimatisation.

Peter

As much as i hate to say it (only joking :)) I think 4 is still very much the standard. If i use the "thomann test" There are 522 4 string basses in the top 3 categories on the site that you can buy. Compared to 5 strings where in the same number of categories there are only 237. 5 strings is certainly a widely used alternative though.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='603382' date='Sep 20 2009, 11:04 AM']I created a poll on BC a while back and it basically confirmed that 4 is still the standard but perhaps 5 is catching up.

That's this side of the pond but I suspect the same would be said over there.

Interestingly I'm using a 5 now pretty exclusively as swapping between the 2 isn't helping my acclimatisation.

Peter[/quote]

Balls...I searched for a poll etc before this. Must have missed it. Silly me!

I too am only using 5 now. I couldn't deal with swapping over, so I put the 4 strings in cases and put them in storage. I don't know what to do with them; I feel quite certain I'm not going to go back. I may sell the Fender.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='603399' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:28 AM']Here we go:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45949&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45949&hl=[/url][/quote]

4 string till you die eh? I've not got a 5 string bass at the moment actually even though i do consider myself more of a 5 string player. I'm starting to get widthdrawal symptoms. :)

Someone on Talkbass talking rubbish? I find that very hard to swallow! :)

In some circles (amongst 5 string players for example!?!) this may be the case but you have to ask yourself why is it whenever you go into a shop, flick through a tuition book or see a band on TV it's [i]usually[/i] a 4 string bass / player.

Edited by BurritoBass

When I went to 5 strings, I sold all my 4 string basses, a Wal Pro 1 fretless, a JD supernatural and a precision, never thought I'd go back.

Well, I sold the Warwick last year and now have a Geddy Lee and a VMJ fretless, I really miss the Wal, and to some extent the others too.

Never say never.

GAS'ing for a Wal fretless or something in that league.

4 strings, 5 strings, 6 strings.... Who cares? It's what you do with it that counts, only having 4 strings never slowed Geddy or Tal down, and Jaco did more with 4 than most will ever do with 5 or 6.

That said, advances in amps and speakers mean that 5 and 6 string basses are perfectly acceptable in more genres these days.

[quote name='witterth' post='603530' date='Sep 20 2009, 01:07 PM']I was just worried I'd peed someone off!
didnt mean to!!!soz chaps![/quote]

I suspect it's the usual limits to written communication that caused my annoyance i.e. it's my problem.

You probably said the comment in good humour and I interpreted it as a bombastic arrogant statement of fact.

Such is the nature of these things sometimes and I meant no offence either.

Whatever floats your boat, there's more important aspects to a bass methinks than the number of strings on it.

Peter