Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many strings on a standard bass guitar?

JimBobTTD

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='603544' date='Sep 20 2009, 01:17 PM']I suspect it's the usual limits to written communication that caused my annoyance i.e. it's my problem.

You probably said the comment in good humour and I interpreted it as a bombastic arrogant statement of fact.

Such is the nature of these things sometimes and I meant no offence either.

Whatever floats your boat, there's more important aspects to a bass methinks than the number of strings on it.

Peter[/quote]
top man!
and..
I think the word "bombastic" isnt used enough!!!
good luck .Peter! :)
(arrogant... I get a lot!) :rolleyes:

I play 5s and 4s mainly. 4 is the standard, I think, but a lot of people want deeper bass than a low E and as amplification improves there's no reason you can't go lower. As more and more bands write/record going down to low B or beyond, more people will try to reproduce it - eventually it probably will become the standard.

I have a funny feeling that most people will continue to start off learning on a 4 string though. That's the 4 string's best chance of remaining the standard.

[quote name='witterth' post='603573' date='Sep 20 2009, 01:51 PM']Haa Haaaaa!!
Mythste.
at 13.00/14.00what about a "hair of the dog?"
it would be rude not to really.
that's if you've no gig tonight :)[/quote]

As far as im concerned all of sunday is a morning! Hehe. I dont have a gig tonight, and im actually free all day tomorrow. Ladies, Gentlemen, To the pub!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='603505' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:37 PM']I only use 3 of the available four strings anyhow. Were it not for neck / tension issues, I'd dispense with the D string altogether.

End of.[/quote]

Thank god for that! I thought I was the only one to use 3 strings, although it`s the G I dont bother with.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

My main bass is a 5-string, but I rarely go below the range of a 4-string and my only other bass, which I keep as a backup, is a 4-string.

The main advantages for using a 5-string, IME, are that I don't have to retune to play below a low-E (like for a song in drop-D on a 4-string), and 5 strings can also reduce position changes, which can be really useful if you're reading, for example.

AFAIK, most theatre pads are written for 5 string bass nowadays, and an extra low-B also helps when working with awkward singers who like to transpose things all the time!

I chose to get a 5-string because it gives me the extra versatility if I need it...I'd still love a (4-string) Precision with flatwounds though - just can't afford to have loads of different basses, so I stick with something that offers the extra versatility just in case.

[quote name='MythSte' post='603586' date='Sep 20 2009, 02:19 PM']As far as im concerned all of sunday is a morning! Hehe. I dont have a gig tonight, and im actually free all day tomorrow. Ladies, Gentlemen, To the pub![/quote]
I work shitfts and dont start 'till 12 the 'morrow so see ya there! :)
mines belgian and chilled btw!

[quote name='Telebass' post='603601' date='Sep 20 2009, 02:50 PM']An electric bass, however....4

*ducks*

:)
:rolleyes:[/quote]
Electric bass what? Balalaika? Ukelele? Harmonica? Recorder? :lol: :lol:

For the record I have about 20 4-string basses and one 5 - so I think 4's my "standard". And my 5's currently in bits, patiently awaiting its date with a defret!

Jon.

ok, skimmed over the topic, (no time) as it looked interesting and I have NO time at all so sorry if this is repeats:

look, 4 string basses is standard. People dont go: 'oo-er you've got a 4-string bass guitar?' They do the complete opposite!

And 5 strings arn't just used for metal! You can use 5s in every genre! Go on, challenge me to a genre that doesn't use one

I'd be keen to ask whoever said that what they think qualifies something as a standard. I have a collection that includes both 4's and 5's, all of which I enjoy playing and all of which have a purpose. Personally I believe talking about standards smacks of partisanship, which IME tends to be counterproductive in this type of debate - all too often you get a 'debate' that descends into a slanging match.

If you must have a standard however, I guess I'd have to go for The Precision Bass (you decide how many strings you want on it :) )

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='603794' date='Sep 20 2009, 07:21 PM']I'd be keen to ask whoever said that what they think qualifies something as a standard. [...][/quote]

That's what this thread was for! The comment seemed to be stated as an off-the-cuff remark, as if it were held as accepted truth. But still, it has returned to the forefront of my brain a fair few times in the few weeks or so since I saw it. I kind of see it as being in the same vein as film v digital cameras, VHS v DVD, fax v e-mail. You can say what you want about how the older technology had its charms, but it is still going to be all but obsolete.

I'm not sure I buy into that argument. I don't think music works in that way - ref. the shift back to real instruments after the technological heyday of blips and bloops in 80s chart music.

Anyway, all discussion is good, right?

I think we need to remember that people on bass forums aren't typical. We're way more obsessed with gear, and having a variety of gear, than the majority of bass players, who own one one bass (probably a P-bass) and nothing else.

4 is the standard as far as I can see. All the 5s and 6s and whatevers are pushing the definition of bass in all kinds of directions, but the place they all relate to (ie what they're pushing away from) is 4.

Plus people on TB do seem very disconnected. If you listen to them you'd imagine that most music is being made by people with $10000 dollar basses (or SXs, the only permitted budget brand, and then only if you put at least $300-worth of new parts on it).

Edited by dangerboy

[quote name='dangerboy' post='604120' date='Sep 20 2009, 11:15 PM']I think we need to remember that people on bass forums aren't typical. We're way more obsessed with gear, and having a variety of gear, than the majority of bass players, who own one one bass (probably a P-bass) and nothing else.

4 is the standard as far as I can see. All the 5s and 6s and whatevers are pushing the definition of bass in all kinds of directions, but the place they all relate to (ie what they're pushing away from) is 4.[/quote]

Dare I say end of?

[quote name='Bassassin' post='603749' date='Sep 20 2009, 05:52 PM']He is, actually. :)

J.[/quote]

Nope. Double bass > electric bass. The family resemblance is only that. Only the playing position is guitar-like. Even frets were on upright basses once, y'know...
Look at the old Jazz headstock, it specifically says "electric bass"; look at a Fender VI, and it specifically states "electric bass guitar". The Musicman Silhouette is similarly titled. The VI is also erroneously called a baritone guitar - they're tuned to A or B, not EADGBE and are usually 27.5" scale or similar. Not to say you can't mess with different strings, of course...

At the time, remember, if you played bass, it was either an upright or a tuba...
A bass that can easily be played by a guitarist, yes. A bass guitar, no.

However, I realise that this particular bit of pedantry is considered old-fashioned. So be it. I am too!
:rolleyes:

Edited by Telebass