Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie

TGEvans

I have used one or two of the valve heads and liked them through one of their monster multi speaker cabs and it looked and sounded like a brute..which was fine for the gig I was on at that time.

However, my amp repair guy tells me not to go near them with a barge pole and since they don't really do the sound I am after...plus lugging a vavle power amp around, ....it is fine by me.

He tells me that he gets too many in for repair ( guitar, mainly ) and they are poorly made. That is his take on it and he has quite a design pedigree so I am not arguing ...

I can see how some people would love the sound and if it were up to me as to what stage rig I would choose out of a Mesa or an Ampeg, I would have Boogie every time.. but only if they are hired in.

I couldn't have a use for one otherwise..

It a bit of a common myth - Mesa's reliability is actually pretty good now. The horror stories about them is that they are incredibly complex (ridiculously overcomplicated for what they are actually doing - but maybe that's how they justify the pricetag) and getting replacement parts is a task and a half (especially things like the Boogie Mk4 and all those other switchfest guitar amps!!) and hence amp repairers get a hard time from customers who are getting sick of waiting. If I recall the 90s was a bit of a hit and miss era for them - so if they go wrong, people really dig into the brand. Of course, nobody ever hears about the merits of them when they are working.

If you want fire, get an Ashdown.

Edited by EBS_freak

Having just read the review of the M6 in Bass Gear Mag, it's interesting to note that their tech's opinion was that historically Mesa's have been really hard to work on but the M6 is much better laid out and the manual's much more helpful. If they used to be hard to fix I imagine that would make the perception of the failure rate seem higher because those kind of jobs tend to stick in your mind, even though their reliability might actually better than average!

Alex

I have been playing the Walkabout Scout with the 15 inch speaker for the last 4 months. I have been very impressed to say the least! The loudest and best sounding bass rig that can fit in the back of a taxi without the driver making annoyed faces at me.

There are mixed reivews in places for the Mesa bass stuff but also plenty of people that absolutely swear by them (in a good way, not in a 'what a sh*t poorly designed amp' way). I'd personally put the Mesa bass stuff ahead of Ashdown and would happily take a Big Block 750 over a new Ampeg SVT Classic.

The cost of the Mesa stuff puts me off though. I could only really consider the Walkabout Scout as it gave me a quality 300 watt head (that can be taken out) and a quality 15 inch speaker for about £1200 new. Paying 1700-1800 quid for one of the bigger heads just seems a bit excessive, especially when you can pick up a new EBS Fafner for just over a grand!

In terms of long term reliability, well I'll probably find out in due course, but no issues so far!

FWIW, I researched the Mesa stuff into the ground before I forked out for my amps, and I didn't pick up on any 'unreliable' vibe... otherwise I would have steered clear.

The earlier Walkabout heads are susceptible to a problem with the FX loop which is easily fixable, but.. that's all.

They do have their quirks, especially the placement of the mute and DI in the chain, but they're great, great heads..

The Walkabout is so tubey it's unreal.

Mind you, the prices they charge are just short of daylight robbery, IMO.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='583204' date='Aug 28 2009, 08:42 AM']FWIW, I researched the Mesa stuff into the ground before I forked out for my amps, and I didn't pick up on any 'unreliable' vibe... otherwise I would have steered clear.

The earlier Walkabout heads are susceptible to a problem with the FX loop which is easily fixable, but.. that's all.

They do have their quirks, especially the placement of the mute and DI in the chain, but they're great, great heads..

The Walkabout is so tubey it's unreal.

Mind you, the prices they charge are just short of daylight robbery, IMO.[/quote]

Yeah, Mesa have always known how to charge... I must admit, the reliability thing is more with the guitar amps I think. Then again, there aren't nearly as many bass amps out there.

[quote name='TGEvans' post='582560' date='Aug 27 2009, 03:55 PM']Why are there so many bad reviews on the Boogie Bass heads? Apart from the 400 obviously. I have always wanted an old M2000, and am thinking about the M9 head but they seem to be very unreliable. Whats everyone elses opinions on them?[/quote]

I bought an m2000 new whenthey came out and was bitterly disapointed. The quality of build was impressive, although i did have problems with the DI out, and piss poor service from the distibutors.

Although it does give you the options of 2 switchable preamps, and a blend, and compression, etc etc in the real world I found it overcomplicated, and in a live scenario a bit fiddly.

Bought as the final solution to gas and the last amp i would ever need i sold it 2 years later at a huge loss and felt good riddance

[quote name='TGEvans' post='583199' date='Aug 28 2009, 08:37 AM']The newer stuff seems to be ok then? It still does not stop my gas for an old M2000 though! Does anyone know how the old boogie cabs compare to the newer ones?[/quote]

I always wanted an M2000 too and used to drool over the review they did in Bassist (back in the day). In the end I went for the SVT4 instead and never actually got to play with an M2000.

As for the cabs... well, I've played a lot of cabs in my life and I've never heard anything that beats my current 1x15 Road Ready. If I had to describe it, its like it adds in its own tube warmth. Really lush sounding, but devastatingly loud and cuts through anything.

But
It
Weighs
A
Tonne

and the 4x10 weighs even more, despite only being a Diesel rather than Road Ready. The magnets in the old EVs are just immense and the cabs themselves are really really well put together.

The newer cabs are slightly lighter, and slightly more transparent, but you'll still know its a Boogie.

[quote name='TGEvans' post='582560' date='Aug 27 2009, 03:55 PM']....Why are there so many bad reviews on the Boogie Bass heads? Apart from the 400 obviously....[/quote]
I haven't seen a bad review of any Boogie amp or cab. About 10 years ago I had a 400+ which blew some valves but I would happily buy any Boogie head or cab. I think they are fantastic pieces of equipment, especially the EV loaded cabs. I just wish they weighed 80% less!

Edited by chris_b

I was in PMT Salford and they have a S/H Walkabout Scout in I asked about the price of it and the Salesguy said "I would'nt touch that mate it keeps blowing fuses and is not working like all Mesa stuff' seems a strange thing to say from a salesman but they must know what is returned frequently, BTW I'm a happy Mesa owner never had any trouble with any thing I've bought with the Mesa badge on.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='583259' date='Aug 28 2009, 09:39 AM']As for the cabs... well, I've played a lot of cabs in my life and I've never heard anything that beats my current 1x15 Road Ready. If I had to describe it, its like it adds in its own tube warmth. Really lush sounding, but devastatingly loud and cuts through anything.

But
It
Weighs
A
Tonne

and the 4x10 weighs even more, despite only being a Diesel rather than Road Ready. The magnets in the old EVs are just immense and the cabs themselves are really really well put together.

The newer cabs are slightly lighter, and slightly more transparent, but you'll still know its a Boogie.[/quote]

I LOVE the old Diesel cabs.... superb build, EV speakers and thunderous tones.... :)
Never had or wanted a Mesa head though.... :/

Used to own a BB750...christ I wish I hadn't let that go. Buckets of tone but I just couldn't be arsed to carry all the transformers around to gigs and stuff (it was an american model). Also due to the size of transformer needed it kept fusing everywhere we played.

That said though, the thing survived a reasonably long stint with As I Lay Dying (American metal band) , a 3-5 week transit to the UK and lots of gigs with me, so I had no problems with it. Built like a tank it was. Gorgeous piece of kit.

Have owned a 400+ for17 years not 1 problem.

There were problems with British spec Triaxis guitar pre-amps, and some times a bad reputation arises and sticks to companies in general.

The guitarist I play with has used a wide variety of high end gear and has found Mesa to be eminently reliable.

+1 to Alex Clabers comment.

Owner of a M-Pulse 600 for about 4 years. Pretty reliable and, in my opinion, better sounding than the bigger brother Big Block 750. The 5-band parametric eq requires a bit of time and patience to let you find the best settings for [i]your[/i] bass, but once you find it you'll get a wonderful punchy sound. I'm selling mine just because of its weight (40+ here...), but sure i'll miss its balls.

Disappointed with the Powerhouse cabs though, specially with the weakness of the rated-600w 2x10 (the other one was a 1x15, which was ok). Listening to the M-Pulse voiced by an Aggie GS212 was quite a surprise! It sounded ten times better. The Aggie cab let me discover how good was the M-Pulse. It's a pity Mesa dropped the EV speakers.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='bassanton' post='587014' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:22 PM']Owner of a M-Pulse 600 for about 4 years. Pretty reliable and, in my opinion, better sounding than the bigger brother Big Block 750. The 5-band parametric eq requires a bit of time and patience to let you find the best settings for [i]your[/i] bass, but once you find it you'll get a wonderful punchy sound. I'm selling mine just because of its weight (40+ here...), but sure i'll miss its balls.

Disappointed with the Powerhouse cabs though, specially with the weakness of the rated-600w 2x10 (the other one was a 1x15, which was ok). Listening to the M-Pulse voiced by an Aggie GS212 was quite a surprise! It sounded ten times better. The Aggie cab let me discover how good was the M-Pulse. It's a pity Mesa dropped the EV speakers.

Cheers![/quote]

Mesa Boogie sells for too high a price over here. If you bought an M pulse or Big Block head in the states you would pay half what it costs here. They are not worth £1700, more like £1000 max. They are of the same build quality and standard as Svt Pro stuff, SWR Pro series, Mark Bass etc. I think the high price makes people expect something special which they are not. DOnt get me wrong they make a great amp but its a case of the Emperors new clothes with Mesa Boogie, the same can be said for Fodera basses and PRS Guitars

[quote name='paulie' post='689328' date='Dec 19 2009, 07:25 PM']Mesa Boogie sells for too high a price over here. If you bought an M pulse or Big Block head in the states you would pay half what it costs here. They are not worth £1700, more like £1000 max. They are of the same build quality and standard as Svt Pro stuff, SWR Pro series, Mark Bass etc. I think the high price makes people expect something special which they are not. DOnt get me wrong they make a great amp but its a case of the Emperors new clothes with Mesa Boogie, the same can be said for Fodera basses and PRS Guitars[/quote]
Experienced owner of an MPulse and a Walkabout, and ex-owner of SVT-PRO III here. You're right that they're overpriced, but IMO dead wrong about build quality. It's astonishing, and light-years ahead of the SVT stuff.

The Simul-state system really works - hardly any other manufacturer does anything like it.