Why become a member? ×

What is left to invent

A lightweight all-tube head that doesn't require huge transformers but uses those small transformers used in class D amplifiers and still produces that big tube growl, unlike that new Markbass all-tube head that just sounds really clean no matter what you throw at it...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='582092' date='Aug 27 2009, 02:59 AM']A bass amp with a studio quality preamp section.[/quote]
If memory serves, this is what Jonas Hellborg was trying to achieve with the mental 36-volt preamp in his old signature Status.

Pull the volume control and an inflatable “autopilot” pops out of the back of the bass – just like in “Airplane” , it carries on with the interminable dull riffing during “Mustang Sally” or “Knockin’ on Heavens Door” whilst you go the bar for a swift one.

Also the matching inflatable “groupie” :) ………no wait, that’s been done….…

(waits for Smut Police :rolleyes: )

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='582260' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:57 AM']A lightweight all-tube head that doesn't require huge transformers but uses those small transformers used in class D amplifiers and still produces that big tube growl, unlike that new Markbass all-tube head that just sounds really clean no matter what you throw at it...[/quote]

I think the new Peavey valve head is just that - IIRC Tom Bowlus reviewed it on a Bass Gear Mag youtube vid. Apparently it sounds great too!

Mine would be - An active (single) cab solution that is designed properly that sounds massive and hell loud - and comes with a studio preamp with a great compressor on board so that the who system doesn't colour your sound, so that it acts like an amazing PA system.

Ahh wait.... It's been done lol..

I'm writing a review soon! ;o)

Strings that need replacing once every 12 months(not flatwounds,I know they never get changed!).
A cattle prod/whip device to induce singers to help you set up/pack away.
An anti-ego pill to give to any band member who has one.
A "Cheers mate,have a pint"machine that you can use on other bass players at multi band gigs when they use your rig.

[quote name='thodrik' post='582071' date='Aug 27 2009, 12:40 AM']Not bass related but I would invent a silent vacuum cleaner first. Then I would take the previously mentioned 'talent boost' pedal and see if I could modify it for football purposes in order to be used on the Scottish football team.[/quote]

I've seen houses over here with "central vacuum" - basically, you've got sockets in the walls (like plug sockets), except you plug a hoover hose into them, then you can hoover silently, since the actual vacuum machine is hidden away in the basement or garage. Clever, but, as with most things over here, conspicuous consumption at its worst. :rolleyes:

Anyway, for me, I want a special glove with eBows in the fingertips. :)

[quote name='simwells' post='583006' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:45 PM']I've always liked the idea of having dockable pedals so they'd mount straight into a docked pedal board (or single dock enclosures for indivdual units) that connected up just through docking.[/quote]
Line 6 did something along those lines I think

I'd like a bass with a mobile/laptop style battery + charger. i.e. You can plug it in to the mains to charge rather than have to change/buy those square things.

Contemplated trying to do a mod for this myself actually. Probably wouldn't be too hard.

[quote name='simwells' post='583006' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:45 PM']I've always liked the idea of having dockable pedals so they'd mount straight into a docked pedal board (or single dock enclosures for indivdual units) that connected up just through docking.[/quote]
Korg did this ages ago.

[quote name='Eight' post='583726' date='Aug 28 2009, 04:36 PM']I'd like a bass with a mobile/laptop style battery + charger. i.e. You can plug it in to the mains to charge rather than have to change/buy those square things.

Contemplated trying to do a mod for this myself actually. Probably wouldn't be too hard.[/quote]

"those square things" being 9v batteries presumably?