Why become a member? ×

John Entwhistle's Jazz Bass?

dannybuoy

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-UNUSUAL-FENDER-BASS_W0QQitemZ320414337426QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4a9a2ec992&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-UNUSUAL-FENDER-...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

What do you think, folks?

Yeah it's that loft thing again - J.E. wasn't known for smashing instruments or was he? That body - a Jazz from 1959? - I don't think so. Note the bridge pickup is in the 70s position.

Steer clear unless of course you want a mongrel Jazz and the price stays low.

Edited by The Bass Doc

I would be very cautious in these kind of situations. The vintage and rare shop in Bath had an original Entwistle Jazz bass in stock for sale of course. It was from his collection and was considered to have been in since around mid 70's and was being offered at 34k or there abouts poss two years ago?? It was featured in a book called "Bass Culture - The John Entwistle Collection". so had some documentary historical evidence of sorts.
Of course you could take a punt at a couple of hundred quid on the bass and who knows, you could be in possession of a more valuable instrument, who knows....??

[quote name='supabock' post='575606' date='Aug 20 2009, 02:50 PM']I would be very cautious in these kind of situations. The vintage and rare shop in Bath had an original Entwistle Jazz bass in stock for sale of course. It was from his collection and was considered to have been in since around mid 70's and was being offered at 34k or there abouts poss two years ago?? It was featured in a book called "Bass Culture - The John Entwistle Collection". so had some documentary historical evidence of sorts.
Of course you could take a punt at a couple of hundred quid on the bass and who knows, you could be in possession of a more valuable instrument, who knows....??[/quote]

The big give away is that he NEVER smashed anything up and also still had most if not all of his basses when he died. I cant see any reason to believe that this ever belonged to John.

[quote name='The_D' post='575610' date='Aug 20 2009, 02:53 PM']The big give away is that he NEVER smashed anything up and also still had most if not all of his basses when he died. I cant see any reason to believe that this ever belonged to John.[/quote]

MB1. :)
In the early days he did smash/damage a few as thats how the Frankenstein Fender bass came about that he recorded Tommy and Quadrophenia with.There is also pictorial evidence he smashed a Warwick Buzzard bass too me thinks!

[quote name='MB1' post='575650' date='Aug 20 2009, 03:19 PM']MB1. :)
In the early days he did smash/damage a few as thats how the Frankenstein Fender bass came about that he recorded Tommy and Quadrophenia with.There is also pictorial evidence he smashed a Warwick Buzzard bass too me thinks![/quote]

Probably tried compare the sound of it to his Status Buzzard...... ;o)

[quote name='MB1' post='575650' date='Aug 20 2009, 03:19 PM']There is also pictorial evidence he smashed a Warwick Buzzard bass too me thinks![/quote]

He did that in the car park at a studio session he couldn't get the action low enough without getting fret buzz eventually he got so annoyed he walked out smashed it up, returned and did the rest of the session with the pink p I believe.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='575797' date='Aug 20 2009, 05:01 PM']He did that in the car park at a studio session he couldn't get the action low enough without getting fret buzz eventually he got so annoyed he walked out smashed it up, returned and did the rest of the session with the pink p I believe.[/quote]

MB1. :)
....Bob Pridden(The Whos Tour Manager)picked up all the bits and had it framed and presented it to John for Christmas!....
(edited courtesy of Johns Bass Collection Book)

Edited by MB1

That is one of the trashiest bitsa's I've seen in a while. Neck looks well wrong too - off a cheap Jap copy? Headstock logo partially scratched out. Bridge plate with elephantitis and brand new saddles?

It's not been trashed - it's been pulled out of a skip. Love the way this [i]Toad's[/i] worded it to cover his arse. There's a place in Hell for people like that.

[quote name='retroman' post='575793' date='Aug 20 2009, 04:59 PM']Is it just me.....Or does it look like its had a 3 bolt neck put on a four bolt body?? :) Look closely at the picture of the back of the bass, and use the zoom option :rolleyes:[/quote]

"The neck and body join is to an expert professional standard."

My arse!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='576297' date='Aug 21 2009, 02:52 AM']That is one of the trashiest bitsa's I've seen in a while. Neck looks well wrong too - off a cheap Jap copy? Headstock logo partially scratched out. Bridge plate with elephantitis and brand new saddles?

It's not been trashed - it's been pulled out of a skip. Love the way this [i]Toad's[/i] worded it to cover his arse. There's a place in Hell for people like that.[/quote]
I don't think the neck's JapCrap - if it is it would have to be one of the later, more accurate copies (Silver Series Ibby or Tokai or something) - you don't see maple/pearl, bullet adjuster & skunk stripe all that often, never mind together.

I'm by no means convinced about the body - look at that huuuuge bridge pup route - it's either had one of those round-end Jap jazz pups in it or it's been badly hacked out to take a standard Jazz pup. I think a look under the scratchplate would be a revelation.

Nothing's entirely obvious because of the (deliberately?) dreadful show-nothing pics, though - but isn't the bridge a BAII?

The Entwhistle thing is clearly bollocks - this is a car boot bitsa he paid £20 for last Sunday.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='576608' date='Aug 21 2009, 12:34 PM']I don't think the neck's JapCrap - if it is it would have to be one of the later, more accurate copies (Silver Series Ibby or Tokai or something) - you don't see maple/pearl, bullet adjuster & skunk stripe all that often, never mind together.[/quote]

You're almost certainly righter than me on this ... but I just looked at it and the thought popped into my head: "Antoria, Columbus?".

Just something about the overall look, the Cheddar-y yellow look of the fingerboard. Ah, well. It's a POS, anyhow.

I asked if he had pictures of any date stamps.
Reply:
[quote]The neck is serial number S7 35688. When the neck was replaced the old square 1959 plate was replaced by the new sheild type, but you can still see the outline of the old 1959 square plate with the raised top lip. Regards, Geoff[/quote]

[quote name='raze' post='576785' date='Aug 21 2009, 03:41 PM']its got a badass bridge 70's pickup spacing plus the extra pick guard screw in the middle of the guard that the geddys have
I would lay money on it being a beaten up matt blacked geddy with a dodgy replacment mighty mite neck[/quote]
As far as I know Mighty mites don't have the bullet adjuster. The neck & body could be fender, but maybe the neck is knackered in some way - obviously its very unlikely to be a '59 jazz body (unless its a very early prototype :)) The neck with part of the decal scratched off seems very odd considering the amount of lacquer that would have been over the top of it. It would probably be worth more sold as individual parts in separate auctions with honest descriptions, better pics and none of the Entwhistle BS.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='576807' date='Aug 21 2009, 04:06 PM']... obviously its very unlikely to be a '59 jazz body (unless its a very early prototype :))[/quote]
IIRC didn't the earliest prototype Jazz have a pair of large, 4 pole piece, pups almost in the style of Nordy big single soapbars?