Why become a member? ×

John Entwhistle's Jazz Bass?

dannybuoy

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='576773' date='Aug 21 2009, 03:25 PM']Sorry for being a bit slow here, but are we saying this [i]isn't [/i]John Entwistle's bass then?[/quote]
Cheers pal!!!!

Just having a quiet read with my coffee and then you made me read that.

Coffee all over keyboard and down through my nose. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

Check out Machinehead musics website, they have the real Mcoy bought from Sothebys in 2003 its a Lakland semi acoustic they have it up for sale at a cool £2,500.

I used to live in Hitchin where Machinehead are based and have bought lots of stuff of them in the past so I know this is pucker!

I can confirm this is entwhistles bass.I bough one of buddy hollys old strats off the same seller for 500000 pounds last week. Apparantly buddy the crickets and the tour compere des oconner couldnt find digs one night so they stayed over at this house for the night,buddy was sleeping in the attic and forgot to take his guitar with him when he left in the morning.I believe one of des,s old suits is also up for grabs better get in quick though.

[quote name='YouMa' post='588876' date='Sep 3 2009, 05:33 PM']I can confirm this is entwhistles bass.I bough one of buddy hollys old strats off the same seller for 500000 pounds last week. Apparantly buddy the crickets and the tour compere des oconner couldnt find digs one night so they stayed over at this house for the night,buddy was sleeping in the attic and forgot to take his guitar with him when he left in the morning.I believe one of des,s old suits is also up for grabs better get in quick though.[/quote]

So was Des O'Connor this bloke's Uncle? Because !WOW RAER V1NTIDGE! guitars can [i]only [/i]be found in one's Uncle's attic. It's the law.

So, unless this guy can prove Des definitely is his Uncle (y'know, maybe get him round to your house, knock out a song, a quick tap-dance, some previously unpublished anecdotes about Morecambe and Wise [i]that only [b]Des[/b] could know[/i]) then you've been slit up like a kipper and hung out to smoke.

NOI of course. All rights reserved.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='588845' date='Sep 3 2009, 04:53 PM']Gents,

Check out Machinehead musics website, they have the real Mcoy bought from Sothebys in 2003 its a Lakland semi acoustic they have it up for sale at a cool £2,500.

I used to live in Hitchin where Machinehead are based and have bought lots of stuff of them in the past so I know this is pucker![/quote]
That's a good price for a US Lakland #002. Trouble is the Lakland website gives the US hollow body serials as HB01 up to HB96.

Edited by EssentialTension

Having checked the Southebys website I found the bass in question, in fact you can see all of the equipment John sold! Christ he had some gear!!:

LOT 119

cW - A Lakland semi-acoustic bass guitar

1,000—1,500 GBP
Lot Sold. Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium: 1,440 GBP
measurements
N/A

Description
serial 002 impressed to top edge of headstock, natural waxed finish with single f-hole, twin Bartolini pickups, in gig bag

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='589256' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:25 PM']That's a good price for a US Lakland #002. Trouble is the Lakland website gives the US hollow body serials as HB01 up to HB96.[/quote]

[quote name='bassatnight' post='592569' date='Sep 7 2009, 11:49 PM']Having checked the Southebys website I found the bass in question, in fact you can see all of the equipment John sold! Christ he had some gear!!:

LOT 119

cW - A Lakland semi-acoustic bass guitar

1,000—1,500 GBP
Lot Sold. Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium: 1,440 GBP
measurements
N/A

Description
serial 002 impressed to top edge of headstock, natural waxed finish with single f-hole, twin Bartolini pickups, in gig bag[/quote]
Have you got a link for that?

If you type in Southebys John Entwhistle its the fourth return down. Its the actual Southebys website.
I am not sure how to post a link on here but I am sure if you perceiver you'll find it!

I have also mailed Lakland and it is indeed one of theirs made especially for John. I have a feeling that Southebys missed of the first 2 letters of the serial.

So anyone got £2k to spare...?

Dave, check out the trumpets and the suprising amount of guitars as opposed to Bass, the total lot came to over a million.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='592634' date='Sep 8 2009, 07:28 AM']I did and couldn't find it.[/quote]

Edited by bassatnight

It's a fascinating list to look through. Not only to see some amazing guitars, basses and clothes, but also to see the pricing on some of the stuff sold.

There are some wonderful basses and guitars in there and some of the vintage stuff went for what I would say is pretty low pricing. When you look at the sale price on some of the old P basses and also some of the lovely old Gibson guitars it really does make you realise how stupidly over priced some of the stuff on Ebay is.

I think it would be good to forward details of specific units off the list to some of the fools asking ludicrous prices for some tatty old pieces of sh*te and point out that an Entwistle owned one went for sensible pricing and they should bloody wise up! (OK I doubt he ever touched the damn thing other than getting it out of the case for a pic or two, but whatever).

[quote name='Musky' post='592721' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:46 AM']That's bizarre - the flightcase for his buzzards went for £20,400 when the most expensive Buzzard sold for £10.5k (I think). Who on earth would value a flightcase more than the actual instruments he played? :)[/quote]

Ahh... I should have clicked on the link for the full descripition! Although the title said the lot was 'A flightcase for John's flock of buzzards', it actually contained 5 Status Buzzards (including 2 8-strings) as well as various set lists and sheet music. Might have been considered a bit of a bargain then!

[quote name='Marky L' post='592745' date='Sep 8 2009, 11:17 AM']It's a fascinating list to look through. Not only to see some amazing guitars, basses and clothes, but also to see the pricing on some of the stuff sold.

There are some wonderful basses and guitars in there and some of the vintage stuff went for what I would say is pretty low pricing. When you look at the sale price on some of the old P basses and also some of the lovely old Gibson guitars it really does make you realise how stupidly over priced some of the stuff on Ebay is.

I think it would be good to forward details of specific units off the list to some of the fools asking ludicrous prices for some tatty old pieces of sh*te and point out that an Entwistle owned one went for sensible pricing and they should bloody wise up! (OK I doubt he ever touched the damn thing other than getting it out of the case for a pic or two, but whatever).[/quote]

Yes - definitely some bargains were had...

[b]A Fender Precision slab-bodied bass guitar, 1966[/b]

A re-fin - but one of THE rarest/most prized types of Precision - for £3,840.

Have you spotted any of his Jazz basses?

[quote name='bassatnight' post='593071' date='Sep 8 2009, 05:12 PM']Would have been good to go there just to see WHO was buying the stuff!
I wonder why his family flogged off all his stuff, did the Ox not have a son - He could have adopted me![/quote]

Apparently a lot of it went to the Hard Rock Cafe. They've got very deep pockets for this kind of stuff.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='592634' date='Sep 8 2009, 07:28 AM']I did and couldn't find it.[/quote]

[url="http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotResultsDetailList.jsp?action=J&event_id=26007&sale_number=W03875&lots_per_page=100&page_number=1&show_lot_name=Y"]http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotRe...show_lot_name=Y[/url]

Some really cool instruments in there.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='595632' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:06 PM'][url="http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotResultsDetailList.jsp?action=J&event_id=26007&sale_number=W03875&lots_per_page=100&page_number=1&show_lot_name=Y"]http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotRe...show_lot_name=Y[/url]

Some really cool instruments in there.[/quote]
Thanks - I did find it eventually. :)

• 2 years later...

The vintage and rare shop in Bath had an original Entwistle Jazz bass in stock for sale of course. It was from his collection and was considered to have been in since around mid 70's and was being offered at 34k or there abouts poss two years ago?? It was featured in a book called "Bass Culture - The John Entwistle Collection". so had some documentary historical evidence of sorts.quote

It was this one, actually in their London branch, an almost mint 1960 stack knob in see through blonde, it was offers around £34K, staggering condition, simply stunning, almost new stacker, worth £20k without the pedigree.

Apologies for the picture, i was trying it out whilst down there one day to pick up a '56 P, and they left me in the basement with it while they went up to the shop, and couldnt resist a picture, with what is arguably the rarest bass out there, so had to set the camera up on a side cupboard for the pic, not the best!! :)

Anyway, getting back to thread, the ebay ad is hilarious, nuff said!! :) Someone will be dragged into it though no doubt, shame...

[attachment=93185:RW-JE Bass !!.jpg]