Why become a member? ×

Buying on the internet!

Marvin

You're looking to buy some new/different gear. You see a lot of places on the internet selling, what you know is, good stuff for a little cheaper than you can buy in your nearest instrument store.

Is it wise to save those extra few quid, or should you really go and test it out in person and get the feel of say the bass your thinking about, or muck about with the features on an amp?

Discuss%^$£@!!£%&*())))(*&^%$££

I don't think basses are setup when you get them from a shop either, in my experience, so I don't believe it's worth the extra money at all.

Internet for the win. Buy a good bass, no a [i]good[/i] bass, and you don't need to worry about getting a lemon and, if you know where to get it, you can get a hand made work of art for the price of a MIM in your local shop.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='552719' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:19 PM']It really depends on how much "a few quid" is.

Mind you, where I am now, I can only really buy stuff online. Also, almost everything I am interested in isn't made any more and seldom available in the shops.[/quote]
Definitely - if it is something I can get locally I am willing to pay a premium for the service and less hassle. Most of the time though it's a case of either I can't get it locally or the price is way more than it is elsewhere (including in other shops).

I also think there is a difference between buying mail order (using the net to do the deal) from a store and buying from a purely internet company.

The main problem where I am is that the nearest store is 12 miles away the next nearest is nearly 40 miles away. And the pricing seems to be somewhat random, but that seems to be the case everywhere. I've never bought gear off the internet didn't know what people's experiences were. Should have done a poll!

[quote name='RichB' post='552706' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:13 PM']You're looking to buy some new/different gear. You see a lot of places on the internet selling, what you know is, good stuff for a little cheaper than you can buy in your nearest instrument store.

Is it wise to save those extra few quid, or should you really go and test it out in person and get the feel of say the bass your thinking about, or muck about with the features on an amp?

Discuss%^$£@!!£%&*())))(*&^%$££[/quote]

consider freight charges etc

i hear many basses arent set up properly so if you get it online...you have to have it set up
if you go into the shop....you can say you will do it...or get it done and haggle a bit
take cash and show it up front in £20's
ask to see the manager and pitch it hard that either you get a reduction or you go elsewhere
run like f*** if the guy is big and doesnt play ball
its a real tough world

you will always have the online price to bait with...remember nearly everyone looks online for prices...even shop staff/managers/owners

its cash flow and sensible

if you can get a deal try to pay in visa... :)

[quote name='mrcrow' post='552745' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:38 PM']consider freight charges etc

i hear many basses arent set up properly so if you get it online...you have to have it set up
if you go into the shop....you can say you will do it...or get it done and haggle a bit
take cash and show it up front in £20's
ask to see the manager and pitch it hard that either you get a reduction or you go elsewhere
run like f*** if the guy is big and doesnt play ball
its a real tough world

you will always have the online price to bait with...remember nearly everyone looks online for prices...even shop staff/managers/owners

its cash flow and sensible

if you can get a deal try to pay in visa... :)[/quote]
:rolleyes: :lol: :D ;) :rolleyes: :D I'm off now to try that out

Edited by RichB

I have bought nearly all my basses in the last couple of years either from online retailers or eBay (or BassChat!). Never had a real duffer yet although I have had to tweak truss rods and actions in most cases (but would have done even if bought from a shop as I always change stock strings). As long as you have some ability to set up a bass I don't see a problem.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='RichB' post='552748' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:40 PM']:rolleyes: :lol: :D ;) :rolleyes: :D I'm off now to try that out!!!!![/quote]

check the bed availability at the local hospital just as a precaution

seriously it does work

always smile and talk quietly and make salient points in both parties favour

i got some neat clarks shoes at the weekend...the sign said 70% sale...on selected items
the ones i picked were about 40% reduced
i pointed out the 70% wording and said these were selected...by me...what about some more off
they took £10 off..making it £25 for the shoes
they suggested i take some anti scuff cream to smarten them up
only if its free i said..it wasnt...but then i tried and me and the sales girl had a brilliant laugh together...leave them laughing
:)
it was a great day...had a mega costa coffee to celebrate

I always try to support my local shop but recently it seems like they're trying to squeeze too much money out of customers. I really don't mind paying a litle bit extra but sometimes it takes the cake

Take my recent EUB purchase, in the shop i was quoted £450, found it online in five minutes for £299. Guess who got the money

I support my local shop a lot (ask the wife!) but I'm not afraid to buy online IF you know what you are looking for! My local shop sets up instruments & I don't think Dawsons always do. Some online retailers are better than others so do your homework & it's fine

I have to admit most of my buying is on the net these days, if you buy new, there are all sorts of regulations that protect you if you buy a lemon, andd I dont think its an issue.
As has been indicated in many posts, many local stores do not have either the stock, or you end up with a huge warehouse store like sound control where there is no local competition, or the standard of staff is less than adequate.

OTOH, there are some fine shops out there, the gallery is loved by many, but there are more out there. As a bricks and mortar store, they will probably be more expensive because their costs are more. The more the shops loose trade to the internet, the more likely shops will close.

Many people, myself included will go and demo something, and then go and try to get the best deal. You cant do that if all the stores are shut. Similalrly, what do you do if your lead/string/amp is broken and you need to buy a new one today, for the gig tonight. Where do you go for advice if you are starting out?

I think as time goes on, more and more product will be bought from the internet at the expense of local shop, or you will end up with Tesco/Asda etc as a one stop shop.

Remember when you went to the supermarked for petrol because it was the cheapest? They have taken a good proportionof the petrol trade and garages are shutting. Booze is cheap in the supermarket and pubs are shutting faster than they ever have been.

Change is inevitable, but if you have a good local shop, support them.

Pretty much what everyone else has said.
If I could get what I want in a local shop, even if it cost a little bit more, then I would.
Unfortunately the vast majority of music shops have a pretty poor selection of basses unless you're looking for a budget model or a Fender.
All the basses, guitars & keyboards I've bought for years have been online & nearly always secondhand. I've picked up some astonishing bargains & never had any problems whatsoever. I'm in a phase of selling & buying at the moment & it's all being done either on Ebay on Basschat.

I would love to be able to support my local musical instrument shops, but my tastes are too esoteric for most new stock and eBay has pretty much killed off the second hand market for shops.

Even when it comes down to the smaller items - strings, picks, straps even then the choice in store is too small. Last week I needed a spare set of 5-string strings. Not one of the 3 local shops had any in stock. Trying to get my favourite picks as a special order a year ago turned into a nightmare. When faced with this it's hard not to turn to the internet for everything. It might be that I've had 35 years to refine my tastes and know exactly what I want, but I thinks it's pretty poor when you can't buy any set of strings for a 5-string.

The problem is that forums like this and the internet in general have broadened our horizons when it comes to instruments, amps and other gear, whereas shops seem still in the world of the early 90s, stuck in dealer networks and playing too safe by only stocking what they know will sell.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='552875' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:54 PM']..........Even when it comes down to the smaller items - strings, picks, straps even then the choice in store is too small..............

The problem is that forums like this and the internet in general have broadened our horizons when it comes to instruments, amps and other gear, whereas shops seem still in the world of the early 90s, stuck in dealer networks and playing too safe by only stocking what they know will sell.[/quote]

Exacty what the shops are like round here. Out of 4 local music shops i have the choice between Ernie Balls and Rotos, both in only one guage and 4 string only. When i need emergency strings now i go to Cash Converters, they've got sets of cheapies in 2 guages for about a fiver. I don't spend £20 on strings unless it's a brand i want

I remember having a conversation with a shop owner about a yeaa while ago when i was buying a Squier. He couldn't get any in the shop because they were all going to the big online retailers who put in huge bulk orders. I waited a couple of months and he still couldn't get one so i ended up buying online, not his fault at all and i felt a bit sorry for the bloke. He had a sale but the supplier wouldn't even take him into account

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='552888' date='Jul 27 2009, 05:04 PM']Exacty what the shops are like round here. Out of 4 local music shops i have the choice between Ernie Balls and Rotos, both in only one guage and 4 string only. When i need emergency strings now i go to Cash Converters, they've got sets of cheapies in 2 guages for about a fiver. I don't spend £20 on strings unless it's a brand i want

I remember having a conversation with a shop owner about a yeaa while ago when i was buying a Squier. He couldn't get any in the shop because they were all going to the big online retailers who put in huge bulk orders. I waited a couple of months and he still couldn't get one so i ended up buying online, not his fault at all and i felt a bit sorry for the bloke. He had a sale but the supplier wouldn't even take him into account[/quote]

I think our LMS is struggling and may nosedive. The local boys can rarely compete as the playing field slopes pretty steeply towards their goal. Large internet dealers are selling gear at a price below trade for some of these guys.

As time passes I suspect that local music shops will become a thing of the past, like ironmongers.

I don't see that as a good thing.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='Kev' post='552769' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:58 PM']the attitude you get from alot of music shop workers when it comes to trying some gear out is enough to persuade me to nearly always buy online.[/quote]

Oh no, here we go again! My advice would be to buy everything online, and with all the money you save, buy your own music shop and see how tough it is.

Seriously though, buying online from a reputable store is fine, as long as they offer after-sales service. Buying privately could be a problem.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='552757' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:45 PM']Online for me too. It's a shame, but that's how it is...

As for trying before buying... Trying a bass, amp or cab out in a shop will tell me nowt about how it'll sound at a gig.

I'd rather do my research on-line and buy wisely...[/quote]

I agree with that. My basses sound crap by themselves, they only come alive in the band.

Most of my gear has been used off eBay. I'm not even sure how I decide what to bid on, it's like fate or instinct, or something. I've only had one dud in 10 years and a lot of fun with some interesting basses that didn't cost a fortune.

My worry is that eBay is self-destructing and seems to be set on becoming a bank, with an online version of PoundStretcher on the side. Auction revenue was way down in their last results.

Shops that don't do internet sales are struggling. These days it's a case of 'if you can't beat em, join em.' If you buy a brand new guaranteed product from a reputable store, you are safe within your consumer rights if anything goes wrong. Buying on ebay is different.

For example, a guy I know came into the shop with a Les Paul copy he'd bought privately. He wanted my opinion, as he'd paid £500 (!) for what was essentially a piece of sh@t.

By all means barter with a shop, but you'd be crazy to go online for the sake of a few quid, which I've had people do many times.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='552923' date='Jul 27 2009, 05:38 PM']For example, a guy I know came into the shop with a Les Paul copy he'd bought privately. He wanted my opinion, as he'd paid £500 (!) for what was essentially a piece of sh@t.[/quote]
Buying anything privately if you haven't got much knowledge or experience of musical gear (or anything else for that matter) is asking for trouble. I know a guy in Cardiff that paid serious money for a secondhand Rick 4001 and didn't even know it wasn't supposed to have a bolt on neck; he just saw the Rickenbacker nameplate that had been put on it & bought it.

Edited by RhysP