Why become a member? ×

Just been ripped off on EBay

Cat Burrito

Last week I bought a Crafted in Japan Fender 75RI P-bass. Except I didn't.

I've been playing Fender CIJ (or MIJ as they were & now are again) for 20yrs.

The 24hr rapid despatch turned into a week later and I have what to me looks exactly like a Vintage Modified Squier with a Fender decal

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-vintage-modified-precisi/71000"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier...d-precisi/71000[/url] this is what it looks like to me!

The advertised Crafted in Japan logo with the serial number at the base of the neck is nowhere to be seen! I was told it would be there and is in the listing.

When did Fender Japan do "Duncan designed" pickups? Hmmmnn!

The £880 bass that was sold as BuyItNow at £350 is basically a £229 bass with a £5 decal.

Ironically it's quite a nice bass BUT I'm not paying nearly double for a second hand Squier. It's nice & light (agathis body, I reckon!)

I've flagged it with EBay but now I've got a few weeks of being £375 down whilst it is all sorted. What a pain.

Anyone think I'm too cynical here? Pics attached from the listing.

Edited by BurritoBass

Sorry, as the owner of one, thats not a CIJ 70RI. The pickups are wrong, there would be a thumbrest above the strings and a CIJ (or MIJ) logo at base of neck on rear. I think its exactly what you say it is - a Squier dressed up as a Fender. Over to eBay I'm afraid

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='547875' date='Jul 22 2009, 05:30 PM']Anyone think I'm too cynical here?[/quote]
You can never be too cynical when buying off eBay. The week's delay has possibly allowed the seller to move his money out of Paypal. Same thing just happened to me but I managed to get a Paypal complaint in just on the seven days. I'm seriously considering jacking eBay in. Ten percent commision on sales is a ripoff.

Here is a link to a real Fender CIJ PB70-US. [url="http://kenji-cij.blogspot.com/2008/11/pb70-us-owh-precision-bass.html"]http://kenji-cij.blogspot.com/2008/11/pb70...ision-bass.html[/url] You can see all the differences clearly. What about Paypal protection for a fraudulent purchase?

Thanks guys - I've 20yrs experience & I paid paypal so at least I'm covered but some poor kids are getting ripped off out there. My wife is more annoyed then me. I'm pee'd off but luckily the buyer protection is there. I've done more digging. She states she bought it on EBay earlier this year but has no feedback given or received since November. Slowly it's all starting to piece together.

The photos are dark (at least on my laptop) but I hadn't even pulled it out the box before I realised this was iffy. I have 3 beautiful basses already but I can imagine the genuine heartbreak if this was my first bass.

You're not being cyncial at all. You bought a falsely advertised item - end of story.

Keep on at PayPal to recover your money. Chances are you mightn't get it all back. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but PayPal can only recover money if it's in the sellers account. The week delay in shipping might well mean they've done a runner, like Stevie suggested.

I got ripped off buying a camcorder a few years back on eBay. No camera arrived, went thru the whole process of complaints/recovery and ended up with about £150 from a £250 camera.

Good luck.

I'm so suspicious of ebay these days. You should have no problem getting your money back though.

Hate to say this but maybe you should have posted the link on here before you bought it, but I guess that's inviting in the competition :)

Feel for you.

[quote name='silddx' post='547969' date='Jul 22 2009, 06:44 PM']Hate to say this but maybe you should have posted the link on here before you bought it, but I guess that's inviting in the competition :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yep, that's exactly what I thought. An irony in that I did consider myself a bit of a P-bass expert. I don't know half of what I should on amps, strings & other basses (I'm here to learn!). Turns out I'm an expert on Fender P-basses 51-62 only! :)

[quote name='thedonutman' post='547963' date='Jul 22 2009, 06:39 PM']If you used your credit card through Paypal you can probably get a chargeback done through your bank and the Paypal dispute will most likely side with you on this.[/quote]

Paypal direct from the bank. Watch this space

Hi - I've been through the eBay dispute resolution scheme and it does work, but it takes ages. Bought a bass a couple of years ago that was advertised as having a 'low' action - when it arrived it turned out that you couldn't actually play a clear note past the 12th fret due to it bowing! In the end, a local bass guru wrote a letter for me backing up everything I said & eBay eventually refunded my money (they let me keep the bass too, but that went to the bass guru for parts). The letter made all the difference - if you can supply supporting evidence (e.g. a scan of a letter on headed notepaper, or an e-mail with a business address/phone number that allows them to make independent contact) it will do wonders for your case.

Good luck - you'll sort it out if you are persistent...

B.

At present EBay haven't withdrawn the seller. Anyone smell a rat with this?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-Deluxe_W0QQitemZ270430451241QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3ef6e93629&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A25"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...%3A1%7C294%3A25[/url]

Did I hear someone say "Squier"? 4th bass sold in recent weeks having never traded in them before!

As you have been sold something that is patently not what was described it may come under the distance selling act if it was a merchant. May be worth checking out and it is always nice to launch the word act of law at someone, they tend to wobble a bit.

Just had this reply from the seller (outside of the Paypal dispute forum)

Hi Tim, thanks for your email. My partner purchased the bass off ebay sometime back,only selling due to hard times. Was listed in good faith, and my partner purchased it as an original fender 75 re-issue from Japan for his collection, from a dealer!
The serial number apparently is stamped on the neck where it is bolted on, so the neck has to be taken off to find this? This is the information that was supplied to my partner when he perchased it!
Obviously, if this doesn't all check out i will be happy to sort the situation out for you. My partner will speak to you to give you all the information you require, his mobile number is 0**********9.
Look forward to hearing from you and getting things sorted to everyones satifaction
Best wishes
Andrea

Edited by BurritoBass