Why become a member? ×

Just been ripped off on EBay

Cat Burrito

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='550374' date='Jul 24 2009, 04:36 PM']Well my school is hardly local but we'd have it! :)

I really am intrigued to see how this one pans out.[/quote]

doesnt your school have spare line 6 basses lying about? :rolleyes:

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='550425' date='Jul 24 2009, 05:27 PM']doesnt your school have spare line 6 basses lying about? :rolleyes:[/quote]

No... that's me has spare Line 6 basses lying about. Though I trust the little cherubs dearly I wouldn't let something pristine and expensive be left in their care! :)

OK - Although it felt longer this has been resolved relatively quickly. EBay have footed the bill as a company & I have received a full refund. The seller is blocked (although I've since seen some over priced Squiers advertised slightly more honestly from a different seller - Hmmn!) with their fraud team looking at them and the refund comes from EBay so there is no comeback on me. Sweet! Oh & the fake bass is officially mine for me to keep or dispose of as I see fit.

Pretty good customer service from EBay I'm sure you'd agree? They did mis-quote the refund date twice but the main thing is I've not lost out. I won't be selling the Frauder Precision (get it?) and I'm much happier with the situation. A shame though that in 700 safe transactions there is always one idiot who can potentially ruin what is otherwise a safe place to shop.

Cheers for all the interest and support

BB

Glad you've got your dosh back and a favourable result.
BUT.
I feel uneasy about the whole idea of eBay telling you to keep the bass. You're getting a full refund, and yes he should be paying all postage costs and so on, there's no way you should be out of pocket, but for eBay to deprive the guy of his property? Surely only a court should be able to do that? I don't like the idea at all.

[i]*dons flameproof underpants, awaits flood of "bollox, the bastid's getting what he deserves" replies*[/i]

[quote name='Rich' post='556080' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:39 PM']Glad you've got your dosh back and a favourable result.
BUT.
I feel uneasy about the whole idea of eBay telling you to keep the bass. You're getting a full refund, and yes he should be paying all postage costs and so on, there's no way you should be out of pocket, but for eBay to deprive the guy of his property? Surely only a court should be able to do that? I don't like the idea at all.

[i]*dons flameproof underpants, awaits flood of "bollox, the bastid's getting what he deserves" replies*[/i][/quote]

I agree with you, it should be a police matter.

[quote name='Rich' post='556080' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:39 PM']Glad you've got your dosh back and a favourable result.
BUT.

[i]*dons flameproof underpants, awaits flood of "bollox, the bastid's getting what he deserves" replies*[/i][/quote]

I fully agree. The courts should decide this stuff, not Ebay. I would suggest handing the bass over to the police, or, better still, handing the bass over to Ebay and telling them to give it to the police. They have, in effect, bought it, as they refunded the money.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='556088' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:48 PM']I would suggest handing the bass over to the police, or, better still, handing the bass over to Ebay and telling them to give it to the police. They have, in effect, bought it, as they refunded the money.[/quote]

The cost to ebay for storing such items would far exceed their value.

[quote name='Rich' post='556080' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:39 PM']Glad you've got your dosh back and a favourable result.
BUT.

The guy has been paid so it is EBay's property to give. She didn't lose out. I did take Police advice on this (although my own law knowledge is good) and this is predominately a civil transaction. The seller never made any criminal admissions. Should the EBay fraud team gain any additional info such investigations are passed to Police but what we don't want is an already over stretched Police force running around investigating complex internet scams that are very hard to prove in a criminal court. By taking ownership & footing the bill EBay are also committing themselves to make the site a safer one. I for one would be more than happy to assist any investigation, be it civil or criminal.

Despite all this I would much rather have had a the original genuine article & none of this rubbish!

[quote name='machinehead' post='556100' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:55 PM']Is it possible that the seller got his money as well, and ebay are swallowing all the costs?

I have no ebay experience so..........

Frank[/quote]

Yep, that's exactly what has happened

[quote name='silddx' post='556112' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:06 PM']The cost to ebay for storing such items would far exceed their value.[/quote]

Agreed. A lot of big companies write off smaller expenses that are actually quite big for the individual

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='556142' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:39 PM']The guy has been paid so it is EBay's property to give.[/quote]
Ahhhhhhh I see. I thought the money was actually recovered from the seller. My mishtake. :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='556142' date='Jul 30 2009, 01:39 PM']The guy has been paid so it is EBay's property to give.[/quote]
Presumably it's actually Paypal's property (ie. Ebay wearing another hat) - just wondering if the actual mechanics of the Paypal system (the bits frantically paddling as the Paypal swan glides along) is that Paypal effectively buys the goods on your behalf and then sells them to you.

I can't say how chuffed I am that you've clicked the bass AND got your refund but I have to say from my extensive experience with eBay and PayPal I'd be quite frankly stunned if you have scored in this way whilst the guy gets to keep his money! I would seriously have thought that PayPal/eBay would have taken the funds back from the seller but if it has worked out the way you say then that does mean a massive shift in PayPal/eBay policy. :rolleyes:

Right... off to sell some tat on eBay! :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='556031' date='Jul 30 2009, 11:45 AM']I won't be selling the Frauder Precision (get it?) and I'm much happier with the situation.[/quote]

Result and if you want a "Frauder Precision" Logo making for it, PM me and i will pass the details of a guy who will make one.
I got a great "Fecker Pretender Bass" logo from him.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='556935' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:52 AM']I can't say how chuffed I am that you've clicked the bass AND got your refund but I have to say from my extensive experience with eBay and PayPal I'd be quite frankly stunned if you have scored in this way whilst the guy gets to keep his money! I would seriously have thought that PayPal/eBay would have taken the funds back from the seller but if it has worked out the way you say then that does mean a massive shift in PayPal/eBay policy. :lol:

Right... off to sell some tat on eBay! :)[/quote]

Just as an aside/update on ebay/paypal resolutions...

I purchased an album (yellow vinyl Cheap Trick @ Budokan as it happens :rolleyes: ) on ebay several weeks ago and initiated a dispute for non-delivery which the seller then subsequently delivered following almost immediate contact after I started the dispute; any ways... the vinyl was scratched and NOT as described so I let the dispute run and the result is that paypal have found in my favour, refunded me and have made no mention whatsoever of me returning the album! I can only assume that this is the new ebay/paypal policy.