Why become a member? ×

Band Image

jmstone

The singer in the band I'm in is really keen on band image, getting us all along for photoshoots, and having some kind of consistent "look" from the band. In fact, after our last gig I got some stick for wearing jeans (which apparently she really hates).

I have always really hated looking smart, and I seem to have got stuck in an indie/grunge time-warp so maybe she has a point, but I do find it all intensely irritating.. I would rather just play music and forget about all this photography/video/costume kind of crap.

So, what do people here think? Is band image that important (you have to bear in mind that although we are gigging, none of us is particularly fantastic musically in my opinion).. Do I need to bite the bullet and go out and get that red shirt and jacket (or whatever ridiculous get-up is planned), or is it OK to just look scruffy? - at least until we get that record deal ( i.e. never !!! :))

James

[quote name='jmstone' post='540907' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:02 AM']The singer in the band I'm in is really keen on band image, getting us all along for photoshoots, and having some kind of consistent "look" from the band. In fact, after our last gig I got some stick for wearing jeans (which apparently she really hates).

I have always really hated looking smart, and I seem to have got stuck in an indie/grunge time-warp so maybe she has a point, but I do find it all intensely irritating.. I would rather just play music and forget about all this photography/video/costume kind of crap.

So, what do people here think? Is band image that important (you have to bear in mind that although we are gigging, none of us is particularly fantastic musically in my opinion).. Do I need to bite the bullet and go out and get that red shirt and jacket (or whatever ridiculous get-up is planned), or is it OK to just look scruffy? - at least until we get that record deal ( i.e. never !!! :))

James[/quote]

Having a "look" makes a band more memorable. Even the Indie/Grunge look that you are sporting was once the "look" of many a band. It's got nothing to do with the music but it certainly helps you stand out.

[quote name='jmstone' post='540907' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:02 AM']Is band image that important[/quote]

Yes of course. But bear in mind that looking "smart" might make you look like you usually play weddings. Not a good look for an originals band.

[quote name='jmstone' post='540907' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:02 AM']or is it OK to just look scruffy?[/quote]

If that's what everybody in the band looks like - reasonably consistently scruffy anyway - then yeah.

This is something that is an unfortunate fact of the music business - as a live, performing band, you're not just selling music - you're selling a product that, by definition, has a visual element, and therefore an image. A band's image is, in my opinion, just as important as their music.

If anyone says, "but (xxx band) doesn't have an image", they're wrong - their image is their apparent lack of image, and it's probably been meticulously decided by image consultants and record industry people that they should look like that. The wrong image can ruin a band, and the right image can take you to another level. Do you think Marilyn Manson would have sold all those records if he looked and dressed like Gordon Brown?

Having said that, even though it's important, don't let it overshadow everything - all it really involves is being identifiable and having something that makes you stand out visually from other bands. You don't need a stupid haircut or bondage gear, just something uniquely "you", something that will stick in peoples' memories as a visual to accompany the music.

Have some fun with it, and don't worry about stuff like "this isn't me" or other such thing - nobody is the same person on stage as they are at home or at work. Don't be afriad to occasionally become your rock star alter-ego, and to look the part. It's fun! :)

+1 to Russ.

We're there to provide entertainment, most of which will (or at least should) come from the music, but a fair chunk of which will be in the presentation.

My pub rock band has the same discussions, only about whether or not to take the lights!

As far as "band uniforms" are concerned, there is nothing worse than a band that almost gets it right.

One band I was in agreed to play a summer gig in cream linen suits ("[i]We've all got one, right? OK, let's do it![/i]"). On the night, the drummer's 'cream' turned out to be sh*t brown, while the guitarist was so fat he could no longer get into his jacket and he just stood there with his enormous paunch spilling over the waistband.

You really don't want to see the photos ...

If you're going to do it at all, then do it properly.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='540936' date='Jul 15 2009, 08:17 AM']+1 to Russ.

We're there to provide entertainment, most of which will (or at least should) come from the music, but a fair chunk of which will be in the presentation.

My pub rock band has the same discussions, only about whether or not to take the lights!

As far as "band uniforms" are concerned, there is nothing worse than a band that almost gets it right.

One band I was in agreed to play a summer gig in cream linen suits ("[i]We've all got one, right? OK, let's do it![/i]"). On the night, the drummer's 'cream' turned out to be sh*t brown, while the guitarist was so fat he could no longer get into his jacket and he just stood there with his enormous paunch spilling over the waistband.

[b]You really don't want to see the photos ...[/b]

If you're going to do it at all, then do it properly.[/quote]

Oh yes we do :)

+1 for Russ' points. Status Quo probably wear Armani off stage. The denim is the stage outfit.

Your singer is right. You do need to wear something co-ordinated and it is vitally important that it looks as if you are on the same page.
You really don't want to look like the roadie who set up the gear then just stayed on stage to play bass whilst the others look like they really made an effort.
Sure the music is important but if, as you say, you are not that great then the show, including your clothes, will be even more important and will help you be more successful faster.

Plus you can easily split the band,or get fired, over this subject.

Why not ask the band if you can try it for 6 months and see how it feels, see what the punter reaction is and then review it as a band...

I think it's important to make an effort to look at least like you put some thought into being there, instead of looking like you just walked out of ... anywhere. It doesn't have to be regimented/matching - our guitarist plays in shirt and tie on stage, so I go shirt/tie/waistcoat just to go that extra bit (can't beat a bit of guitarist/bassist oneupmanship :) ). If he gets a waistcoat then I guess I'll have to upgrade to bow tie class, or maybe get a monocle :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think it's important to make an effort. I'd like to think audiences appreciate it when you make an effort for them, even if it is subconsciously.

On a purely personal note, I still joke that suits are for funerals, weddings, interviews and court appearances but I've grown to like dressing smart. I think it started when I wore the kilt for the first time - I assert that the Elephant Man would look good in a kilt. But a suit works wonders also.

Unless you're a weekend warrior happy doing what you do (and I don't mean that condascendingly) I think it's advantageous that your band has an image.

It can be smart or scruffy, but it should be consistent, and move you away from a 'bloke on the street' look.

Then again, there's nowt worse that a band that looks like it's trying too hard.

It's a fine line...

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='541002' date='Jul 15 2009, 09:30 AM']Sounds like a Martin Bell thing going on.[/quote]

Yippie! Another chance to post this: Rowland Rivron as half of the musical duo "Raw Sex" in his ill fitting linen suit complete with open, pink & frilly shirt and open fly ...

Edited by OldGit

I played a gig on Friday with a band who looked like they'd stepped out of a burlesque show. Sometimes an image can do more harm than good, with people judging you straight away.

There was also another band which all wore shorts. I think it worked, they looked very metal.

It doesn't matter what you wear, as long as the whole band are agreed on what you're wearing. I think it's generally agreed that it would be beneficial for you all to conform to the same style, if not coordinate.

It's not a nice thing if you're not into image (like me) but it's a fact of life you will have to accept.

Being up on stage playing music is inescapably about look and image. It's nearly as important as the music. My band consists of four old, fat, baldy blokes - it's a bit of an odd image but it's still an image. Most pro musicians I know care a great deal about their appearance as it can make the difference between getting the gig or not.

EDIT:
Hang on a minute... who'se the dude in the carefully crafted white shirt and loose tie. You go down the pub like that do you :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

Being in a band that plays live and wants to sell their music involves much more than being able to "just play". You are in the entertainment industry. Don't let your band down. Your singer is right.

Personally, I love dressing up for the stage, thinking about what I'm going to wear, doing the whole girly thing of taking ages to get ready :) But that's just me. I do see it as a duty though. Unless it's your band's image, going on stage in jeans and a tee is out of order, imho. Lazy.

Well you asked for it.

This was the band on the night:

[attachment=28930:Mike__s_Party_077.jpg]

This was the look we were going for:

[attachment=28931:Mike__s_Party_022.jpg]

This was how the drummer interpreted "cream" ... at least he didn't wear a 3-piece :)

[attachment=28932:Mike__s_Party_031.jpg]

This was how the lead guitarist turned up:

[attachment=28933:Mike__s_Party_040.jpg]

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='541043' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:13 AM']Well you asked for it.

This was the band on the night:

This was the look we were going for:

[attachment=28931:Mike__s_Party_022.jpg][/quote]

Good pic, I like this one :rolleyes:

Drummer's cream is always much darker :)

Great thread this.

I think its very important to get the band image right for the reason that it is also a product, not just music. It helps people identify and relate to the music and the group. However, its very hard to get right as each member of the band have their own opinions, styles and thoughts and you somehow have to meet in the middle. Still, if you can get it right then it can really work wonders.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='541044' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:15 AM']I find this thread quite funny, there is no way on earth that my band would arrange beforehand what we are wearing, people will get home from work, or get up in the morning, put on clothes, then show up to a gig later and play in said clothes.[/quote]

Yeah, but you're in Peterborough :)

Whatever you decide all of the band must throw themselves whole-heartedly into it. There's nothing worse than a band that feels uncomfortable about it's image, or it's obvious that one or more of you can't pull the look off. That means that all of you make the same effort and none of you look embarrassed about how you look on stage.

As a band member it might be possible the get away with not having to "dress up" if you have an extremely charismatic front person who can captivate and play the audience. In that case you could get away with wearing something plain and dark and stand at the back and simply play. However for this strategy to work you have to remain "in the background" all through the gig so no throwing any "rock god" shapes.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='541044' date='Jul 15 2009, 10:15 AM']I find this thread quite funny, there is no way on earth that my band would arrange beforehand what we are wearing, people will get home from work, or get up in the morning, put on clothes, then show up to a gig later and play in said clothes.[/quote]

Fine, but you have a band agreement to do it like that.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke...